Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/8/2005 3:14:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/12/2005 7:24:37 AM EDT by redleg13a]
When I got home today, my wife's dog was scratching and barking at something in the yard. When I got up to her, it was a nest of baby rabbits. They are about 4.5 inches long and their eyes are not open. The dog bit one on the face but not badly. There is a little blood but it doesn't look like it did any major damage. Another rabbit is out of the nest making circles. It will not stay in the nest. I put some surgical gloves on and put it back in but it won't stay.

Will the momma rabbit still take care of them with the dog smell most likely being on them? Or, will she abandon them? Please, no rabbit stew comments or anything facetious. Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 3:14:46 PM EDT
You have got to be kidding me........
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 3:18:02 PM EDT

Originally Posted By VTHOKIESHOOTER:
You have got to be kidding me........

Why? I'm not a bleeding heart liberal PETA tree hugger, but I hate to see baby animals suffer if there is no reason for it. I'm just wondering if momma will abandon them or if she might take care of them. I have a 3-year old who will be asking why about the whole thing if the momma rabbit abandons the babies.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 3:18:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/8/2005 3:27:51 PM EDT by Janus]
My vote is to leave 'em and keep the dog clear. The mother should eventually come back.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 3:21:44 PM EDT
"Rabbits is practically chickens."
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 3:22:28 PM EDT
Draw down , only way. Or take them in the house , be worse than having a house full or La people well not that bad but you'd have a full time job taking care of them. If you do draw down ,video would rock.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 3:23:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/8/2005 3:24:48 PM EDT by steve-oh]
nevermind I didn't see the part about no stew comments.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 3:24:50 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 3:26:03 PM EDT
leave em alone and let nature take its course.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 3:30:07 PM EDT
Raise them yourself, rabbits are cool. When they are old enough, let them go in the yard. If you dog is there while they grow up they could form a cool but strange friendship.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 3:32:57 PM EDT
should be ok, when we handled the baby rabbits my GF's rabbit had they mom took care of them just fine.

However these were pet rabbits and I have no idea as to how wild ones will react.

Link Posted: 9/8/2005 3:33:13 PM EDT

Originally Posted By MrScaramanga:
Raise them yourself, rabbits are cool. When they are old enough, let them go in the yard. If you dog is there while they grow up they could form a cool but strange friendship. make some stew.

Fixed it.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 3:34:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/8/2005 3:34:49 PM EDT by DK-Prof]
Didn't SorryOciffer raise rabbits (or am I thinking about another arfcommer?).

I haven't seen him posting in a while, but if he's still around you might IM him.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 3:36:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/8/2005 3:37:14 PM EDT by SO-COM]
Chances are if you try to take care of em they won't survive.. I found a baby rabbit (eyes were barley open when I was around 8 or 9) and it wouldn't eat. I had to force feed it (like you would a dog) with what was like a tiny tukey baster but it eventually died. I was really sad at the time... 2 years later I was shooting rabbits with my bb gun (lived out in the middle of nowhere in NV). lol
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 3:36:34 PM EDT
Good question.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 3:37:46 PM EDT
Just leave the rabbits where they are and keep the dog indoors. Momma will be back soon.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 3:38:50 PM EDT
Mmmmmm... rabbit kabobs!
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 3:40:21 PM EDT
Rabbits are food
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 3:40:28 PM EDT
My dad and I raised some wild rabbits when I was younger. They would eat mashed up cheerios mixed with milk. They all survived except the one the dog killed.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 3:40:57 PM EDT
Dude, if you play your cards right you could make a fortune!

Save Toby
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 3:40:58 PM EDT
They will all die.

Wild Bunnies are very hard to care for. They almost always will die.

Someone on here had a wild bunny he tried to save awhile back.

They best chance is either with their mother or a wildlife rescue group. Even then the stress they have already experienced will probably already have been enough to seal their fate.

Pellet them and get it over with.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 3:42:16 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Swindle1984:
Just leave the rabbits where they are and keep the dog indoors. Momma will be back soon.

Not if she's inside his dog, she wont.

Link Posted: 9/8/2005 3:43:36 PM EDT
We used to raise rabbits as kids. You can raise the little ones if you have the patience. You will need milk and and eyedropper. They will naturally wean themselves off of it when it comes time for them to start eating greens.

Just an idea if Momma-rabbit doesn't come back, and you feel like taking on a project. You will also need a rabbit hutch if you don't want little raisens all over the place.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 3:46:45 PM EDT
There is a 99% chance the Mother Rabbit will come back, and in seeing the damage your dog created, feast on the bloody head of its offspring... The other with aparent nuerialogical damage to the brain will be feasted upon also, or just found dead outside of the nest...

Observe the situation, and keep us informed.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 3:47:20 PM EDT
Those rabbit are cat food.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 3:48:03 PM EDT
One word: FLEAS
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 3:49:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/8/2005 3:50:10 PM EDT by BeckettOfNevada]
are you wearing good boots? if yes i recommend a good monkey stomping.....if you dont know what that is pretend the rabbits are grapes and your trying to make wine.......
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 3:49:59 PM EDT
Leave them alone. Fool with them and they are goners.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 3:51:11 PM EDT
RABBIT STEW
1 three pound rabbit
6 small onions, chopped
1 bay leaf
½ cup chopped celery
2 tsp. salt
2 cups diced carrots
3 raw potatoes, cut up
3 tbs. flour
1 tbs. chopped parsley

Clean rabbit and soak in salted water. Drain, disjoint it in pieces for serving and place in a large kettle with onions, bay leaf, celery and salt. Cover with cold water and cook slowly until tender, about two hours. Add chopped carrots and potatoes and continue cooking until these vegetables are done. Smooth flour with a little cold water and add slowly. When thickened, add chopped parsley and serve
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 4:34:39 PM EDT
+1 on the stew. I'll bet they are nice and tender!
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 4:57:52 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Janus:
My vote is to leave 'em and keep the dog clear. The mother should eventually come back.

Yup.
People always have to mess with baby animals for some damn reason. Never works out good. Leave them alone, no matter what. Best advice I could ever give anyone.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 5:11:49 PM EDT

Originally Posted By SalemShooterMN:
There is a 99% chance the Mother Rabbit will come back, and in seeing the damage your dog created, feast on the bloody head of its offspring... The other with aparent nuerialogical damage to the brain will be feasted upon also, or just found dead outside of the nest...

Observe the situation, and keep us informed.

Exactly... though, I wouldn't try to take care of them unless I were up for the task. If you get a cage, like a large fish tank, or rabit cage, you could take care of them... otherwise, it'll be a PITA. At worst, they'll become pets, and you won't be able to eat them because you'll be too attached.
Overall, I'd probably leave them alone because they're so young it'd be too pig of a PITA to help them.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 5:33:14 PM EDT
Mom will be back. The wounded one will probably die.. The whole story of your scent keeping the mom away is BS except when it comes to Black Bear cubs. and ever hear the term "breed like rabbits"? There's a reason for that! Keep the dog away and they should be fine!
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 7:31:47 PM EDT

Originally Posted By redleg13a:
When I got home today, my wife's dog was scratching and barking at something in the yard. When I got up to her, it was a nest of baby rabbits. They are about 4.5 inches long and their eyes are not open. The dog bit one on the face but not badly. There is a little blood but it doesn't look like it did any major damage. Another rabbit is out of the nest making circles. It will not stay in the nest. I put some surgical gloves on and put it back in but it won't stay.

Will the momma rabbit still take care of them with the dog smell most likely being on them? Or, will she abandon them? Please, no rabbit stew comments or anything facetious. Thanks.

Bang, Bang,Bang,Bang!!!! Problem solved.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 7:51:49 PM EDT

Only cottontails are born with their eyes shut, so I'm assuming that's what you have (hares and jackrabbits are born with their eyes open).

Lock up the dog.

Leave the nest alone.

Mother cottontail rabbits move the babies often from one nest to another every few days to keep the scent from attracting predators. She likely moved the babies in at night when the dog wasn't outside.

I've raised a baby cottontail. My friend saved it from the mouth of his beagle after it had finished off the rest of his siblings. Atfer only a few weeks they must be released in the wild as they defy domestication. They should be released after they start eating solid food.

Keep us posted.

Link Posted: 9/8/2005 7:59:16 PM EDT

Originally Posted By BeckettOfNevada:
are you wearing good boots? if yes i recommend a good monkey stomping.....if you dont know what that is pretend the rabbits are grapes and your trying to make wine.......

Hehe...
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 8:00:34 PM EDT
MMMMMMM! Bunny wings!

Raise 'em till they're burrito sized. Lightly bread. Fry till golden brown.

Or leave 'em the hell alone.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 8:04:39 PM EDT

Originally Posted By motown_steve:
Those rabbit are cat food.

Just their heads...
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 8:09:26 PM EDT
If the eyes are open, and if they are moving and have hair, they are "bonded" to the mother. The one that ran will eventually calm down if you leave it alone.

You cannot domesticate wild rabbits unless you get them before "bonding", that is eyes closed and hairless. Then it requires a surrogate domesticated mother who has a litter. You put Vicks on her nose and introduce the wild bunnies into the nest. They all bond just fine...pick a surrogate with a smaller litter size, 3-4. I used to have a doe that dropped small litters for this purpose, only to take care of larger litters and not generally for wild bunny rescue although I did it once to get some pie from a classmate.

Rabbits can carry other diseases which is why this is a bad idea. The colostrum wild newborns get offers a few weeks of protection, after which they can get sick and die. A rabbit in the wild rarely makes it a full season.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 9:09:32 PM EDT
WTF is it with ARFCOMMERS that if it moves, shoot it?

Let nature take it's course... Jesus fucking Christ...
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 7:01:54 AM EDT
Thanks for the replies so far. I checke this morning and the loner is still outside the nest down by the fence now. He's about 8 foot away from the nest but still alive. Haven't seen any signs of momma except she may have covered up the nest again. It seemd better covered this morning.

I'm going to let nature run its course for now. If the loner is still outside the nest tomorrow or Sunday, I may try to save it. Dont' know yet.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 7:11:50 AM EDT
1) get out some flour
2) milk
3) butter
4) warm up a frying pan.......

then............

Make four tiny pancakes, snap pix and post them.

Or
SSS.

Link Posted: 9/9/2005 7:14:12 AM EDT
Tannerite :)
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 7:15:21 AM EDT
I get a nest of rabbits every year. I mark the nest, mow carefully around it and let nature take its course. The mother feeds them pretty well, as they usually grow up pretty fast. She comes at night.

This year's nest was put in a little early and a frost or two killed the young. I cleaned them out and filled the hole.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 7:16:05 AM EDT
The baby conies taste the best. Very tender.

Just cook em up.

Link Posted: 9/9/2005 7:16:10 AM EDT

Originally Posted By N1Rampage:
WTF is it with ARFCOMMERS that if it moves, shoot it?

Let nature take it's course... Jesus fucking Christ...

It's mocho to hate small furry animals.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 7:18:45 AM EDT

Originally Posted By dawg_killer:
1) get out some flour
2) milk
3) butter
4) warm up a frying pan.......

then............

Make four tiny pancakes, snap pix and post them.

Or
SSS.

"I don't know what you're talking about."
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 7:27:27 AM EDT
The loner baby that won't stay in the nest is now in my house in a box. He is eating 4-5cc's of kitten milk replacer twice a day. He is getting stronger, fatter and has his eyes open. Still not out of the woods yet, but I think he's going to make it. We're going to call a lady who takes in abandoned wild animals and see if she'll take the loner.

The dog got to the nest again Saturday before we could catch her and she got one of the babies. She bit it hard enough to puncture a lung so I had to put it down. The other three are doing fine and momma is still taking care of them as of this morning.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 7:30:45 AM EDT

The loner baby that won't stay in the nest is now in my house in a box. He is eating 4-5cc's of kitten milk replacer twice a day. He is getting stronger, fatter and has his eyes open. Still not out of the woods yet, but I think he's going to make it. We're going to call a lady who takes in abandoned wild animals and see if she'll take the loner.

The dog got to the nest again Saturday before we could catch her and she got one of the babies. She bit it hard enough to puncture a lung so I had to put it down. The other three are doing fine and momma is still taking care of them as of this morning.

Up until this years litter loss due to frost, I had two or three years of successful nesting.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 7:33:02 AM EDT
Missouri is overrun with rabbits. Most of the natural preditors are gone and hunters can't thin them out because they rabbits moved to the 'burbs. Let nature take her course.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 7:34:15 AM EDT
My cat "George W." eats all the baby bunnies in the neighborhood, and leaves the bunny carcasses as presents on my front door.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top