Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/22/2006 6:15:23 PM EDT
OK, I'm an old fart electronic engineer but that doesn't mean crap when it comes to computers...

I just ordered my first laptop computer and it is WiFi enabled.

I am going to use this computer to capture long term web camera input from my telescope in my back yard.

Since I'm WiFi ignorant the question is - if I buy a WiFi card for my in-house desk tower computer will the two computers talk to each other to share files ie. can I transfer the captured video from my laptop to my desktop directly over WiFi or do I have to get some sort of local WiFi router, hub or what-ever????
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 6:17:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Buy a wireless router...... Can connect the house PC via wireless (with a card) or wired directly.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 6:19:30 PM EDT
[#2]
yes, but it's not as simple as a plug and play thing.  you will need to set up a home network to do it.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 6:28:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Buy this.

Plug the broadband cable into that... then plug the router into your desktop... then right click the folder with your stuff in it (on the laptop)... then select sharing... then select share folder on network... then rejoice in the glory that is wireless fidelity.

(Make sure you set up a netowrk first... really easy...)
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 6:38:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks guys, I guess you answered my question...

Sounds like the two computers can't talk to each other directly over WiFi and I need to buy some sort of wireless router.

Unfortunately I don't have broadband access, dial up only - so typical broadband routers really do nothing for me....

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 6:39:09 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
yes, but it's not as simple as a plug and play thing.  you will need to set up a home network to do it.

Its very simple.... Plug, click "share" play
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 6:40:31 PM EDT
[#6]
No you can setup a AdHuc network between the two computers over the wifi
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 12:14:37 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
No you can setup a AdHuc network between the two computers over the wifi

Yep, that will work fine.  On the other hand WiFi routers can be really cheap, on sale and with rebates.  
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 1:36:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Not only can you fileshare... if both computers are on, you can print from your laptop to your desktop's printer.  Enable filesharing and printer sharing.  I do this at home.

Your new wireless router will have instructions how to do this.

You do not need a wireless card in your desktop... like the other guy said, you just need a wireless router plugged in between your present LAN line and your computer.

Wireless routers are not expensive now.  You want 802.11G or "G-plus" for highest speed.  I am using the D- Link DL-524 which I got for about $20 from Tigerdirect.com.  It is a "factory refurbished" unit with full waranty.

You may have a little trouble getting your laptop to work... there will be an on-off switch for the radio.  You may need to go into the properties of the wireless and "enable".  

Here you go, get one FREE.  D-Link is very good about getting the rebates to you.

www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1770703&sku=D700-2284%20ISS
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top