Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/29/2004 5:56:09 PM EDT
2 of my boys have been shooting for awhile and tagging along hunting. They've shot my .22LR  & ARs.
The problem is they have to tuck the butt stock under thier arms to get a sight picture. Even with a BB -gun. It's hard to control recoil with the stock that way and hard to shoot sitting.

Link Posted: 8/29/2004 5:59:59 PM EDT
[#1]
I remember when I had to do that, I had to re-learn how to shoot when I could fit the butt on my shoulder.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 6:00:17 PM EDT
[#2]
First off, great pic!  Thanks for posting it.  And great job teaching your child about firearms and firearm safety.

Secondly, there are .22 rifles out there with very short stocks to facilitate small shooters such as him.

It won't take too much effort in research to locate them.  But on any account, if you cannot find anything, please feel free to IM or email me and I will do the research for you.

Link Posted: 8/29/2004 6:00:34 PM EDT
[#3]
That is just cuter than he!!.......

I cannot wait til' mine get older !!!   ( not tryin' to rush it @ the same time )

Teach them the right way to use/own firearms Brother !!!!

Nice Job !    
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 6:00:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Today I picked up two Henry Miniboltsat Cabelas. Hopefully the problem is solved & now they each have thier own black rifle

Link Posted: 8/29/2004 6:01:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 6:06:34 PM EDT
[#6]
ar-15 with collapsable stock.  Problem solved.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 6:09:25 PM EDT
[#7]
The kid in the first picture looks like he's plenty big enough to shoulder the airgun. His stance looks terrible. I'd try to coax him into not creeping up on the sights and extend his arms if I were you. Just my opinion.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 6:17:18 PM EDT
[#8]
I remember when my pa used to stand behind me and let me put
butt the stock on his thigh. Prety nice guy seing how I learned to
shoot with a single shot 12gauge bet he had some nice bruises he never showed me

But there was a little trick I picked up on while teaching my brother to shoot my 22...
He was at 1st trying to put the stock more towards his chest and I kept correcting him,
but as I watched him he was far more comfortable and accurate doing it HIS way.

I know that its not a Solution, but it got him thru the first year just fine with what
I had available for him to shoot. The 22...

GL, and Nice Pic. BTW Jr. will Like that one when he gets older

Nutz...
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 6:22:38 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
The kid in the first picture looks like he's plenty big enough to shoulder the airgun. His stance looks terrible. I'd try to coax him into not creeping up on the sights and extend his arms if I were you. Just my opinion.

Wrong. When I tuck the stock into his shoulder his finger is at least three inches short of the trigger
True, he is creeping the sights. He also tries to use his left eye.
IT'll be easier to work on with a rifle that fits.

Link Posted: 8/29/2004 6:27:04 PM EDT
[#10]

He was at 1st trying to put the stock more towards his chest and I kept correcting him,
but as I watched him he was far more comfortable and accurate doing it HIS way

My father pointed out a shooter at an ATA trapshoot some years ago who mounted the gun in the center of his chest. He had been a naval gunner in WWII and felt the most comfortable shooting like that. He was pretty good, and IIRC I believe he won a trophy at that shoot.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 6:27:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Get one of those Romainian .22LR trainers that are going for $75 or so and cut the stock down.  As they grow, just add a recoil pad or glue on the old wood pieces if you're really a cheapskate.

Ross
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 6:31:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Buy a spare stock and cut it down to fit them, And when they get bigger just switch them out. And for the bbgun just cut the stock.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top