Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/4/2012 10:08:31 PM EDT
I'm still trying to get my computer running correctly after a bad crash.

Now I'm trying to replace some missing Window's DLL's.

I've followed the instructions and the message I'm getting is "Insert your Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 CD now"

Unfortunately, the only Windows XP restore CD I have is the Dell branded CD that came with the computer. When I insert that it says "Wrong Disc - Insert the Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 CD now"

So, I don't have the disc I need and Dell won't help because the computer is out of warranty. (They will send a tech for $150, but that's not what I need)

Does anyone here have a "Windows XP Professional Servcie Pack 3" disc I can borrow?  I'll mail it back when I am done. I'll pay any resonable fee for the loan.

(Btw, the missing DLL's keep me from launching IE on the bad box, so there is no chance of downloading anything right now).

If anyone is willing and able to help me you'll have my graditude.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 10:12:38 PM EDT
[#1]
You need to download it as an ISO then burn it to disc.

type in xp service pack 3 iso

first result in Google.

You are welcome
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 1:11:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

first result in Google.

You are welcome

I burned that disc.

Now it wants "Windows XP Professional CD ROM"   (Note that it is asking for a different disc than it was the first time)

So, it looks like I need the full XP Professional install disc, not just the service pack 3.

So, back to the original question: Does anyone have a full copy of "Windows XP Profesional" install disc I can borrow?
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 1:16:54 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Quoted:

first result in Google.
You are welcome

I burned that disc.
Now it wants "Windows XP Professional CD ROM"   (Note that it is asking for a different disc than it was the first time)
So, it looks like I need the full XP Professional install disc, not just the service pack 3.
So, back to the original question: Does anyone have a full copy of "Windows XP Profesional" install disc I can borrow?

Try pointing it back to C:\Windows. Hope that the SP3 install had the missing files, and Windows will use the existing files in C:\Windows
ETA, Also try c:\Windows\system32

ETAA, Look for the "i386" folder oin the Dell Restore CD and point it to that too.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 1:47:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

first result in Google.

You are welcome

I burned that disc.

Try pointing it back to C:\Windows. Hope that the SP3 install had the missing files, and Windows will use the existing files in C:\Windows

ETAA, Look for the "i386" folder oin the Dell Restore CD and point it to that too.

No joy.

The Service Pack 3 install  failed, three times.

First time - "Extraction failed - Cylic Redundacy check"

Tried again got "Extaction failed  - failure of input output device"   (I migh not have this error message 100% as I didn't write it down)

switched CD drives.  Got about 1/2 way and than got that first error message again

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 1:50:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

first result in Google.

You are welcome

I burned that disc.

No joy.

Tried again got "Extaction failed  - failure of input output device"   (I migh not have this error message 100% as I didn't write it down)

switched CD drives.  Got about 1/2 way and than got that first error message again

The cd is bad
eta dirty or scratched or has errors when it was written
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 1:55:49 AM EDT
[#6]
doug knox .com
ihad to get some files there maybe it ll help you out
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 2:03:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

first result in Google.

You are welcome

I burned that disc.

No joy.

The cd is bad
eta dirty or scratched or has errors when it was written

tThanks. I'll burn a new CD and try again

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 2:33:26 AM EDT
[#8]
If you have a USB thumb drive try that instead of a CD..

Open a command prompt and type the name of the SP file with a "-x" and then the path where you want the files unzipped

xpsp3.exe -x c:\sp3

Press ENTER

Copy the C:\sp3 folder to a thumb drive then copy it to the bad PC.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 2:56:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Have you downloaded and installed SP2?

If not SP3 will not install.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 8:13:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the help guys. The second CD I burned worked and I got Service Pack 3 installed. That *seems* to have fixed the "missing DLL" errors as I haven't gotten that error message again, except for Steam/L4D2. I was able to get Firefox installed with a USB drive and then reinstall IE 7 as well. (I had a bunch of "favorites" that I wanted to recover).

Now I'm downloading various drivers, updates, etc, for various things.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 8:15:34 PM EDT
[#11]
maybe, do you have a SCAR 16/17 I can borrow
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 12:21:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
maybe, do you have a SCAR 16/17 I can borrow

No, but if you want to drive up to Michigan I'll let you shoot my UZI  (FA).

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top