Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/14/2008 6:56:12 PM EDT
What is appropriate in terms of heel height and style for a woman to wear to an office professional setting?  

My gf is beautiful and I guess she got some flack the other day from some older female coworkers on her heels not being very business appropriate. We're talking those  pointy pump things, not some clear platform heels. Are these women just femanazis giving her a hard time or do they have a point?

Right now I'm leaning toward the femanazi choice since as a male I could really care less what kind of shoes a woman is wearing at my work as long as they are tasteful. I love her in heels she has great legs and I think it is a crime she has to wear these tiny heel things that are darn near flats.  

I have a theory that women who convince others they can't wear high heels is the reason that Mrs. America has now tripped twice wearing high heels.  I say that women everywhere need to reclaim their right to wear high heels again without being made to feel like they are  strippers or something.  These pants suits and flats are a form of oppression in my opinion.  So...fight the power. Who is with me?
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 7:06:52 PM EDT
[#1]
I worked for a long while in lady's shoes for a major department store and the height of the heal is dependent upon the person.  the general rule of thumb is a shoe that is appropriate to the dress code.  Some women that have been around longer than others may feel that the shoes should be conducive to what they feel is appropriate in a shoe.

This is a shoe that would be okay in many offices.

http://www1.macys.com/catalog/product/index.ognc?ID=306347&CategoryID=13613&LinkType=EverGreen

http://www1.macys.com/catalog/product/index.ognc?ID=318539&CategoryID=13613&LinkType=EverGreen

http://www1.macys.com/catalog/product/index.ognc?ID=279243&CategoryID=27903&LinkType=EverGreen

http://www1.macys.com/catalog/product/index.ognc?ID=285267&CategoryID=27903&LinkType=EverGreen

Any of the above examples would be great as office shoes.

Hope that this helps.
Link Posted: 7/15/2008 1:03:32 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I worked for a long while in lady's shoes for a major department store and the height of the heal is dependent upon the person.  the general rule of thumb is a shoe that is appropriate to the dress code.  Some women that have been around longer than others may feel that the shoes should be conducive to what they feel is appropriate in a shoe.

www1.macys.com/catalog/product/index.ognc?ID=306347&CategoryID=13613&LinkType=EverGreen

www1.macys.com/catalog/product/index.ognc?ID=318539&CategoryID=13613&LinkType=EverGreen

www1.macys.com/catalog/product/index.ognc?ID=279243&CategoryID=27903&LinkType=EverGreen

www1.macys.com/catalog/product/index.ognc?ID=285267&CategoryID=27903&LinkType=EverGreen

Hope that this helps.

One order of hotlinks, coming right up.
Link Posted: 7/15/2008 1:17:51 AM EDT
[#3]
I would say anything higher than 3" is probably not deemed office appropriate for most offices, but it depends on the dress code and industry.
Link Posted: 7/15/2008 5:45:38 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

www1.macys.com/catalog/product/index.ognc?ID=306347&CategoryID=13613&LinkType=EverGreen

www1.macys.com/catalog/product/index.ognc?ID=318539&CategoryID=13613&LinkType=EverGreen

www1.macys.com/catalog/product/index.ognc?ID=279243&CategoryID=27903&LinkType=EverGreen

www1.macys.com/catalog/product/index.ognc?ID=285267&CategoryID=27903&LinkType=EverGreen

Hope that this helps.

One order of hotlinks, coming right up.

Thank you I was going to do that this morning because I was half asleep when I posted that.

Very tired due to finals.
Link Posted: 7/15/2008 6:34:02 AM EDT
[#5]
I love wearing heels anywhere. I have never thought about them being inappropriate at work. I understand that the clear hooker types of shoes or a high school prom type shoe would be a little out of the norm, but any others I find acceptable.
Link Posted: 7/15/2008 7:40:57 AM EDT
[#6]
higher the better? I wear 3.5-4 inches at times. I could care less what people think. Women that talk sh*t are not people I need to associate with anyway. Boils down to jealousy, maybe she is hotter than them or has better legs. Usually the case.
Link Posted: 7/15/2008 9:22:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Women can be mean, particularly to younger women or anyone they percieve as prettier.  I like heels, and have no issue with them in a work environment.  If she does her job and stays out of drama at work, then who cares?  Low-cut blouses and short skirts might be a problem, but high-heeled shoes?  Gimme a break.
Link Posted: 7/15/2008 11:34:06 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

http://www1.macys.com/catalog/product/index.ognc?ID=306347&CategoryID=13613&LinkType=EverGreen

http://www1.macys.com/catalog/product/index.ognc?ID=318539&CategoryID=13613&LinkType=EverGreen

http://www1.macys.com/catalog/product/index.ognc?ID=279243&CategoryID=27903&LinkType=EverGreen

http://www1.macys.com/catalog/product/index.ognc?ID=285267&CategoryID=27903&LinkType=EverGreen

Hope that this helps.

Thank you. I showed her these links.
Link Posted: 7/15/2008 11:35:47 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I love wearing heels anywhere. I have never thought about them being inappropriate at work. I understand that the clear hooker types of shoes or a high school prom type shoe would be a little out of the norm, but any others I find acceptable.

That's what I said, obviously there are some shoes that could be over the top, but these were just black pumps she had on.

Link Posted: 7/15/2008 11:37:09 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
higher the better? I wear 3.5-4 inches at times. I could care less what people think. Women that talk sh*t are not people I need to associate with anyway. Boils down to jealousy, maybe she is hotter than them or has better legs. Usually the case.

Yeah, I'm like of all the things to make an issue about shoes? I wish she had your attitude she lets this stuff get to her too much.
Link Posted: 7/15/2008 11:40:17 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Women can be mean, particularly to younger women or anyone they percieve as prettier.  I like heels, and have no issue with them in a work environment.  If she does her job and stays out of drama at work, then who cares?  Low-cut blouses and short skirts might be a problem, but high-heeled shoes?  Gimme a break.

She is the youngest person working there (25) and I think that has  a lot to do with it. I think some of the women there actually dress too casual for an office sometimes.

I mean its like what is this Saudi Arabia? If a woman wants to wear high heels this is America you know.  Kind of got under my skin and thanks everyone for backing me up on this.  

Link Posted: 7/15/2008 3:49:58 PM EDT
[#12]
I'd wear them as high as possible if it didn't kill my feet. At 5'2" I can use all the height I can get. Screw the jealous women and tell her to wear what is confortable to her. That's just crazy anyone has commented on them not being business appropriate. Maybe if they are on thigh high boots - but if they are heels with dressy work clothes...F' em and wear em.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 4:08:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Is she gorgeous and/or flashy looking? Maybe the coworker was just isolating one hot thing about her when the fact is that she's sticking out too much in general. She has the right to wear anything within the dress code, but she may want to follow the unspoken dress code too.

In business, if you're hot, it's best to wear longer skirts and button the top shirt button. You can't hide natural hotness but you should look like you're trying.

Link Posted: 7/21/2008 5:11:58 PM EDT
[#14]
I think it's actually more dependent on the outfit than the shoes themselves.  Many women can get away with 4" heels if they have a semi-conservative/business type ensemble.  But if you wear 4" heels with a short skirt and a low-cut blouse, then it may be frowned upon.

Women can really be vicious towards other women.  It's the competitive nature and/or jealousy coming out.  That, and it IS difficult for women to be taken seriously in certain fields, and sometimes a woman has to work a little harder to 'prove' herself in the beginning.

Tell her to just use her best judgement, and get some other impartial opinions.
eta:  For some examples, number one shows a high heel with a completely business appropriate outfit, although some ladies might be jealous of it regardless.

Example two shows the same type/height heel, with a non-business appropriate outfit.

Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:21:32 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I think it's actually more dependent on the outfit than the shoes themselves.  Many women can get away with 4" heels if they have a semi-conservative/business type ensemble.  But if you wear 4" heels with a short skirt and a low-cut blouse, then it may be frowned upon.

Women can really be vicious towards other women.  It's the competitive nature and/or jealousy coming out.  That, and it IS difficult for women to be taken seriously in certain fields, and sometimes a woman has to work a little harder to 'prove' herself in the beginning.

eta:  For some examples, number one shows a high heel with a completely business appropriate outfit, although some ladies might be jealous of it regardless.

www2.victoriassecret.com/images/prodlgvw/V265412_142.jpg

Example two shows the same type/height heel, with a non-business appropriate outfit.

shoprouge.com/cart/images/skirt.jpg

If I was the girl in the top pic, I'd put my hair up, take off some of the eye make-up and consider a shorter heel. I'd still be smoking hot, but I'd be sending out the message that I'm trying hard not to get my looks noticed, only my intelligence and skill. (Then again, if I was the girl in the top pic, I'd be out modeling and not pursuing a business degree )

Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:25:38 PM EDT
[#16]
First let me say I wish my wife liked shooting like all of you ladies do...

Secondly.... In the office that I work in if the heels are 3" or higher and if they are opened toed they are deemed out of dress code... WTF!!! I know.... but it is what it is...

Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:26:57 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

www2.victoriassecret.com/images/prodlgvw/V265412_142.jpg

WHOO SIGN ME UP FOR THAT OFFICE!!!! ARF ARF ARF!!! !

Link Posted: 7/21/2008 7:05:35 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

If I was the girl in the top pic, I'd put my hair up, take off some of the eye make-up and consider a shorter heel. I'd still be smoking hot, but I'd be sending out the message that I'm trying hard not to get my looks noticed, only my intelligence and skill. (Then again, if I was the girl in the top pic, I'd be out modeling and not pursuing a business degree )

Oh, girl... the hair is a whole different discussion!  I agree though.... hair and make-up also play a part in the whole 'ensemble.'  But looking at the outfit, it's business appropriate.  I don't have any problem with the shoes or their height.  I probably wouldn't wear the shirt/skirt quite that tight, but then again, I don't have a body like a Victorias Secret model and I need room for my CCW.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 8:03:34 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh, girl... the hair is a whole different discussion!  I agree though.... hair and make-up also play a part in the whole 'ensemble.'  But looking at the outfit, it's business appropriate.  I don't have any problem with the shoes or their height.  I probably wouldn't wear the shirt/skirt quite that tight, but then again, I don't have a body like a Victorias Secret model and I need room for my CCW.

The outfit is great, I love the skirt, and I would have to wear a very high heel to pull off a below the knee (I"m very short legged). But like I said, the hotter the woman, the more she needs to look like she's trying not to be hot.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 10:40:11 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The outfit is great, I love the skirt, and I would have to wear a very high heel to pull off a below the knee (I"m very short legged). But like I said, the hotter the woman, the more she needs to look like she's trying not to be hot.

So women have to look like they're not hot if they're hot? I honestly don't think my girlfriend could pull that off if she tried. I mean not to brag, but she's got a good body.  I think it's crazy she should have too look like a fattie in a pantsuit.  It's summer to for Pete's sake and it gets hot here.

She's went out and bought some of the ugliest shoes I've ever seen for work now so she's caving in despite me telling her it's all B.S.

Link Posted: 7/22/2008 11:24:32 AM EDT
[#21]
I am not leg humping here, but how about a picture of her in her heals and work outfit? Then let the ladies pass judgement if she is over or under dressed for the office.

Max
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 11:29:44 AM EDT
[#22]
If she wears clothes like the first pic, heel height shouldn't matter. It's what she is comfortable with. Younger years I would wear about a 3 inch heel, now that I'm older not quite into heels that high.
Dress appropriate for the office and if the others don't like it oh well. As long as she does her job and doesn't dress against the dress code oh well.
Tell her good luck and don't give in to what she doesn't like.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 11:45:27 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So women have to look like they're not hot if they're hot? I honestly don't think my girlfriend could pull that off if she tried. I mean not to brag, but she's got a good body.  I think it's crazy she should have too look like a fattie in a pantsuit.  It's summer to for Pete's sake and it gets hot here.

She's went out and bought some of the ugliest shoes I've ever seen for work now so she's caving in despite me telling her it's all B.S.

How about looking at it this way:  if she's hot, people will find something to pick on.  Her hotness draws attention to herself, any accentuating of her atributes will only make her draw more attention to herself.  Not all attention is good attention.  If she is hot enough they would pick on her even if she dressed like a slob "she thinks she's so hot she can get away with wearing anything".  

Tell her to USE COMMON SENSE when selecting her wordrobe.  If she has any questions about the dresscode, ask her boss - the only opinion that really matters.  Other than that, tell her to get used to it and not to worry about it too much.  Let the idiots run around with their panties in a wad, they seem to be happier that way anyway.  Her job is to do her job, not be conserned with what other people wear or what other people say about what she wears.

For comiseration purposes: I've been told that I dress too professionally.  Usually by some schmuck who wears sweatsuits to work.     I have been told my heels were too high - once... by a short old man that I tower over flatfooted. I soooooo wanted to tell him that my heels aren't too high, his puberty was just tooooo short.  But self-control got the better of me.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 12:05:22 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

How about looking at it this way:  if she's hot, people will find something to pick on.  Her hotness draws attention to herself, any accentuating of her atributes will only make her draw more attention to herself.  Not all attention is good attention.  If she is hot enough they would pick on her even if she dressed like a slob "she thinks she's so hot she can get away with wearing anything".  

Tell her to USE COMMON SENSE when selecting her wordrobe.  If she has any questions about the dresscode, ask her boss - the only opinion that really matters.  Other than that, tell her to get used to it and not to worry about it too much.  Let the idiots run around with their panties in a wad, they seem to be happier that way anyway.  Her job is to do her job, not be conserned with what other people wear or what other people say about what she wears.

For comiseration purposes: I've been told that I dress too professionally.  Usually by some schmuck who wears sweatsuits to work.     I have been told my heels were too high - once... by a short old man that I tower over flatfooted. I soooooo wanted to tell him that my heels aren't too high, his puberty was just tooooo short.  But self-control got the better of me.

Link Posted: 7/22/2008 1:00:56 PM EDT
[#25]
I think it boils down to the issue of, does it look like you are leaving work to go to your second job, out on mainstreet.

4", imo is pushing it for an office.  That's not my personal opinion, and if someone wants to wear 5" fmp's, I'm all for it.

But, I think more than 4" looks less professional.

I have a preference for trashy, high heels on hot woman, but at work, it's a distraction.

Not an unwelcome one mind you, but it is still there.

TXL
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 8:09:49 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That is not what I said. I said "the hotter the woman, the more she needs to look like she's trying not to be hot. ".  She doesn't need to succeed, merely look like she's doing her level best to get her skills noticed and not her pretty body or cute clothes.

If that Vicky's Secretions model wore lower shoes, less eye make-up, looser clothes and put up that fabulous mane, she wouldn't be any less gorgeous. She'd just look less concerned about her looks and more into getting the job done.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top