Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
1/25/2018 7:38:29 AM
Posted: 6/30/2002 3:39:25 PM EST
My current computer (a 5 year old gateway) has 166 Megahertz, no USB ports, and A C drive that has maxed out on several occasions. I think it's time to buy a new machine. I've done some researching and have narrowed it down to a Gateway 500SE. It has... -20 gig hard drive -A DVD/CD and CD/CD-RW 16x/48x drives -17" moniter -Windows XP -A Pentium 4 2 GHZ Proccesor -External Iomega ZIP Drive -Boston Ecoustics speakers w/ subwoofer -Epson C80 Printer The entire thing in $1,500 from gateway.com. Has anyone had experience w/ the gateway 500SE? Is their anything better for the price? Thanks alot for any input.
Link Posted: 6/30/2002 4:00:29 PM EST
Go to: [url]www.ubid.com[/url] Save yourself a grand...
Link Posted: 6/30/2002 4:05:24 PM EST
[Last Edit: 6/30/2002 4:07:24 PM EST by Ken226]
get something that can be upgraded. try www.alienware.com , they sale top quality computers and they finance if your short on cash.
Link Posted: 6/30/2002 7:18:36 PM EST
Link Posted: 6/30/2002 7:51:01 PM EST
[Last Edit: 6/30/2002 7:54:16 PM EST by Kar98]
Guys, never mind the "upgradibility" ;) If he still uses the P166 now, his new computer, the P4 2G, will easily last him for 6 to 10 years. Anyway, if you're (the original poster) getting the CD-RW, you can chuck the ZIP drive, especially an external one. They are awfully slow, the media are too expensive, especially compared to the capacity of blank CDs. The Gateway website shows this thing as priced at $999 (with the CD-RW and the 17 inch monitor, or 799 without), so I'm guessing the rest of the $501 would account for the speakers, the DVD drive, and the printer. _Those_ you could get cheaper locally. If you already have a decent 17 inch monitor, I'd also chuck the upgrade from 15" to 17". If you feel confident, you can install the CD drives yourself, but then again, I don't think that's up your alley, and why bother figuring out stuff when you can pay others to do it (hey, guys like me need to make some money, too, after all.) Final thoughts: if you can get rid of a few unnecessary options, like the ZIP drive by all means, and possibly the monitor and the DVD/CD-RW drives (if you feel like it), to get the price down some, you're not getting raped here. As I said, that machine will last you a few years. Edited to add a comma, and: See if you can upgrade the memory to at least 512 MB; 128 MB is pathetic these days.
Link Posted: 6/30/2002 8:11:51 PM EST
[url=http://www.apple.com/switch]Switch[/url] [}:D]
Link Posted: 6/30/2002 9:46:09 PM EST
Check out the [url=http://www.shuttle.com/english/mcs_detail_info.asp?number=192]Shuttle SS40G AMD Barebone[/url] or the [url=http://www.shuttle.com/english/mcs_detail_info.asp?number=182]Shuttle SS50C Intel Barebone[/url]. They are small form factor systems with almost everything built in. You add CPU, RAM, HD, CD-ROM or DVD. I am almost ready to pick one up, but they both lack an AGP slot. With out the AGP it limits gameing, but for someone who just wants a home/business system for everyday use, it is a decent system. I don't work for Shuttle, I am just a consumer.
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 10:12:25 AM EST
Thanks for the advice guys. I think I'll just stick w/ a brand name computer. I'd rather use a computer for 5 years and then buy a new one than constantly have to worry about upgrades. And there's no chance in hell I'll even attempt to upgrade my current computer or install a new CD drive.
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 11:18:49 AM EST
OH no GAteway....RUN AWAY FAST RUNAWAY!!!!!
Top Top