Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/29/2007 5:41:35 AM EDT
I'm probably not going to hold onto my G35 much longer due to my increased commute and the fact that I've basically stolen my fiancee's Solara, which gets 28-32mpg pretty consistantly.

So now, help me find a car that meets these criteria:
1) Close to or exceeds 30mpg
2) Handles very well.
3) Sporty looking - subjective, but I'm all ears.
4) NOT AMERICAN. (Nothing but Buick is truly reliable and no American company retains it's value.
5) 0-60 time under 9 seconds

I don't need it to tow, carry large loads, go off road or do something other than drive me 80 miles round trip each day.

I'd hear suggestions on used and new cars, but the price has to be under $35k.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 5:51:29 AM EDT
[#1]
You want a car with good gas mileage and a 1/4 mile time of less that 9 seconds.......well when they make one like that let me knowhat
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 7:05:26 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
You want a car with good gas mileage and a 1/4 mile time of less that 9 seconds.......well when they make one like that let me know

EDIT:  woops read that as a 9sec 1/4 mile time .... lol....Try a Mazda 3, They are pretty cheap and rather fast

I was looking at that and the Audi A3, but do you know how the gas mileage is?  I heard they weren't that great at all.

Link Posted: 11/29/2007 7:47:05 AM EDT
[#3]
height=8
Quoted:
I'm probably not going to hold onto my G35 much longer due to my increased commute and the fact that I've basically stolen my fiancee's Solara, which gets 28-32mpg pretty consistantly.

2) Handles very well.
4) NOT AMERICAN. (Nothing but Buick is truly reliable and no American company retains it's value.

I don't need it to tow, carry large loads, go off road or do something other than drive me 80 miles round trip each day.

Subaru WRX or Mitsubishi Evo. Both have turbos both awd both very fast
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 8:14:54 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

2) Handles very well.

Subaru WRX or Mitsubishi Evo. Both have turbos both awd both very fast

I already have a car that's fast.  Notice criteria #1 and #5 and their positioning on the list.  I only put that I wanted 0-60 under 9 seconds because I don't want to drive a car that's so slow that it's dangerous.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 8:28:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Toyota corolla sport.  My wife's gets 35mpg and 0-60 9.5 sec.  Manual tranny a must.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 8:34:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Jetta tdi? Passat tdi?

Bigger injectors, bigger turbo, time = good.

45+ MPG

I sold mine because I wanted a truck. Nice car all around.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 8:45:24 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Toyota corolla sport.  My wife's gets 35mpg and 0-60 9.5 sec.  Manual tranny a must.

I was thinking about the brother, the Celica.  I think the GTS may even get the gas mileage I'm looking for.  How do you like your car?
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 8:55:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Toyota has dropped the celica in favor of the scion tC.  I never liked the looks of the new Celica.  I always thought they were chick cars.  I like the corolla a lot.  We've always had one just for the cheap transportation.  You have to look at them for what they are.  They are not "fun" cars.  Just reliable transportation.

My brother has a Jetta TDI and loves it.  It gets 55 mpg but has like 11 sec 0-60 times.  Aftermarket upgrades can improve times to 8-9 sec but you'll spend some dough doing it.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 8:57:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Those Evo's  and WRX's get about 30 plus highway. Have great retail value and you can pick up a solid used one way under what your trying to spend. It was just a suggestion.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 9:12:34 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Those Evo's  and WRX's get about 30 plus highway. Have great retail value and you can pick up a solid used one way under what your trying to spend. It was just a suggestion.

A good suggestion too if you’re emphasis is on performance.  From my experience 30 mpg is not practical and WRX's require premium fuel.  25-26 mpg is realistic.  I think his importance is on economy and saving some money.  
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 1:00:46 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

A good suggestion too if you’re emphasis is on performance.  From my experience 30 mpg is not practical and WRX's require premium fuel.  25-26 mpg is realistic.  I think his importance is on economy and saving some money.  

Pretty much.  I'd also prefer not to get run over by slow moving 18 wheelers while merging onto the highway also!  Maybe the turbo 4 is the route to go.  With the exception of my fiancee's V6 Solara, I can't find a V6 that's capable of 30mpg, unless it's a brand new Camry.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 10:59:31 AM EDT
[#12]
I think you are too worried about that 0-60.  I have a stock TDI, which I of course would like to be faster (I'm about to get some bigger injector nozzles I think), but after more than 5 years, 102k miles, living in Chicago suburbs, Maryland, Arizona, DFW, and driving all over in between, it hasn't been a problem for me and my TDI.  I'd guess my 0-60 is about 12sec.   90hp, 155lb-ft, and about 2800lbs... yeah, it doesn't get much slower.  But most of the time I'm on peoples' back bumpers thinking "get out of my way!"

Speaking of the Audi A3, if I wanted a car payment that's what I'd be driving right now.  I test-drove one and it was great.  A3 2.0T with the 6spd manual and S-line, right around $30k.  IIRC, from reading threads at vwvortex.com, most people get close to 30mpg on the highway, with a few doing a little better or worse.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 4:00:21 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I think you are too worried about that 0-60.  I have a stock TDI, which I of course would like to be faster (I'm about to get some bigger injector nozzles I think), but after more than 5 years, 102k miles, living in Chicago suburbs, Maryland, Arizona, DFW, and driving all over in between, it hasn't been a problem for me and my TDI.  I'd guess my 0-60 is about 12sec.   90hp, 155lb-ft, and about 2800lbs... yeah, it doesn't get much slower.  But most of the time I'm on peoples' back bumpers thinking "get out of my way!"

Speaking of the Audi A3, if I wanted a car payment that's what I'd be driving right now.  I test-drove one and it was great.  A3 2.0T with the 6spd manual and S-line, right around $30k.  IIRC, from reading threads at vwvortex.com, most people get close to 30mpg on the highway, with a few doing a little better or worse.

Thanks for the info on your TDi, but I thought that the TDi's had over 200ft/lbs of torque?  Or is that the newer 2006 model?

I'm still really pondering that A3, but I have to get over the mental hurdle of turning this:

into this:

Link Posted: 12/2/2007 6:21:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Yeah, from the Infiniti to the A3 would be a bit of a culture shock I guess.  But so are most other cars.

The '03 and earlier TDIs were 90hp, 155lb-ft stock.  '04-06 are 100hp and not sure about torque... it's more than 155, but I'm pretty sure it's less than 200.  The new 2.0TDI that should be out mid- or late-2008 should be 140/225 or something.  And get better mileage too.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 6:43:24 PM EDT
[#15]
270hp  30mpg highway.

0-60 in 5.9 seconds.  1/4 mile 14.5@100mph.

$28,000

They really look amazing in person.  Have a hint of 3 series BMW in them and something else I can't think of.  
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 5:28:24 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

2) Handles very well.

How's this:

1) 40mpg+
2) 1.4g lateral acceleration
3) Looks like it was built for racing (because it was)
4) Japanese
5) 0-60 time under 3 seconds

It won't tow, carry large loads, or go off road.  I've done over 2000 miles in a weekend.

The price is about $10,000.

But it's not a car.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 5:43:11 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

2) Handles very well.

How's this:

1) 40mpg+
2) 1.4g lateral acceleration
3) Looks like it was built for racing (because it was)
4) Japanese
5) 0-60 time under 3 seconds

It won't tow, carry large loads, or go off road.  I've done over 2000 miles in a weekend.

The price is about $10,000.

But it's not a car.

I'd kill myself on it like I almost did 8 years ago.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top