Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/11/2018 5:52:34 PM EDT
I know this is a very vague question but what is the best way to photograph this rifle? I have a Samsung WB100f but don't know anything about taking good pictures.

The rifle I built and finished with an at home hydro dip kit.

Thanks for any advise.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 6:06:15 PM EDT
[#1]
I would use a black or white background to start off with then go from there.

Example
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bh7dnNQA4nu/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1jo3dv18l8kzo
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 6:31:25 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd try a white background, you have a lot of black in that rather busy color scheme, the black would blend in with the black background.

What do I know? Good luck.
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 8:47:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Honestly, put it in a bathtub and snap a pic. You will be surprised how well it comes out.
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 9:16:10 PM EDT
[#5]
White backdrop (bathtub or a couple of white poster boards)

Attachment Attached File

Or my preference:  find some natural background and try to get shots with some cloud cover.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 9:38:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Natural light/ kill the flash.
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 11:27:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
This.  It sounds weird, but it works great.  Didn't even occur to me until I realized it's basically a whitebox for photographs.
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 1:43:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
This.  It sounds weird, but it works great.  Didn't even occur to me until I realized it's basically a whitebox for photographs.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Not sure the lighting is right in my bathtub.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

I'm not sure why but it looks like my computer screwed the resolution.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 8:55:51 PM EDT
[#9]
View Quote
Nope, that's good 'ol ARF.

And you need to figure out some better lightning.
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 9:10:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Theres an arf thread on taking bathtub pix
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 9:21:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

No when I changed the ration th 16:9 and adjusted the brightness it shrank the file from 4 mb to 445kb. The resolution went way down too.
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 9:23:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Sorry, thought this was GD.

In any case, yeah, white bathtub with a little bit of light can do wonders for photographing guns.
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 9:28:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Sorry, thought this was GD.

In any case, yeah, white bathtub with a little bit of light can do wonders for photographing guns.
View Quote
I missed what you wrote originally. That's too bad,  I hope it was talking shit about the pink .22.
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 12:35:59 AM EDT
[#15]
The guys are right though.  More light is good.  It could be off camera flash if you are fancy, but even work lamps pointed at the sides of the shower to bounce light into the tub will help a ton.  It'll cut down on reflections but add a lot of light to make the bathtub look white but give good detail on the rifle.
Link Posted: 7/25/2018 1:24:08 PM EDT
[#16]
If you are looking for a clean sterile picture showing our work one trick is to pick up some cheap white "foam board" from craft store

Overexpose the background with some cheap lights ( desklamp works ) pointing at the background ONLy ...this eliminates any shadows

Put rifle in front of the light setup

With the overexposed ( blown out background ) you only see the rifle

You can also go outside and because of "inverse square law of light" in photography....lots of videos online , if you put rifle close to you but have background far away you can have relatively dark background

You will need to use flash to make use of this technique

Background is underexposed ( dark ) since due to the inverse square rule, the light form flash does little to help with expose . Rifle properly exposed since its much closer to flash / camera

Only issue of both these techniques is you need to stand the rifle up ( not laying down ) . I have had many guns come crashing down as they were precariously set on table

I just sacrificed a magazine and made an tripod adapter
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top