Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/4/2021 7:20:17 PM EDT
I'd like to plan a "leaf peeper" trip to New England in the fall, optimally in October. The wife and I are looking for some relaxation time in some cool New England weather and scenic small towns, walking trails, and likely a bed & breakfast or two. We're flexible, so a flight to somewhere, then drive for a couple of days and then meet up with an organized tour, or vice versa will work.

Any recommendations for some good places to stay, or great tours?
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 7:23:37 PM EDT
[#1]
With handgun or without? Retired LE?

If not LEOSA
If with gun - NH, VT or CT (with non res permit), & Maine
Without - MA NY RI
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 7:28:34 PM EDT
[#2]
I live in the pretty part of Maine and we head to Jackson, NH every fall the last week of September. We spoil ourselves in an outdoor hot tub room at The Wentworth but there are many nice and less expensive places in the area. Even less expensive on the Lincoln/Franconia side of the mountains.
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 7:32:29 PM EDT
[#3]
RT 1 anywhere through New England will be beautiful.  I'm mostly familiar with Bangor, Maine Bar Harbor, Acadia National Park, Camden, etc.  The air is so crisp and clear, gorgeous trees and the smell of apples and pumpkins (depending on how late).  He is a dink, but Steven King's house and the Paul Bunyan statue in Bangor are always a hit.  Good luck!
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 7:33:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

If not LEOSA
Without - MA NY RI
View Quote

Not LEO, so due to probable travel from state to state, Ill probably have to travel unarmed, unless we can nail down stays in reciprocal carry states. Not what I prefer, but my wife is owed this trip.
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 7:34:56 PM EDT
[#5]
This is what you seek:

https://kancamagushighway.com/
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 7:43:59 PM EDT
[#6]
We did this 2 years ago. Flew into Boston. Drove up to Kennebunkport. Fantastic town. Dinner at Mable's.

Hit the Bean store the next day and then over to Mt Washington through the mountains of New  Hampshire. The Glen House Hotel. Dinner in Gorham at Saalt.

Wander around the small towns then back to Boston. Hoping to repeat this year
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 7:47:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
This is what you seek:

View Quote

Progress! Any more suggestions are welcome.
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 7:49:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
This is what you seek:

View Quote

The Kanc is a good place to see a moose, too. But definitely excellent scenery. A loop around Mt. Washington using the Kancamangus as the southern leg will give you great views.
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 7:53:00 PM EDT
[#9]
I hate to admit it because it’s mostly commie paradise but it’s all beautiful and has great food and scenery pretty much everywhere.

NH gave me Mrs. G.

In laws live just north of Boston.
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 7:54:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 7:57:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

If not LEOSA
Without - MA NY RI
View Quote
Woah! Easy there bro. They're not part of our club.
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 8:02:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Lifelong New Englander checking in.

If you really want to make the very most of the trip I suggest being as adaptable as possible.

October is the right month (probably, statistically). The second week of October CT might still be green while Maine has shed all its leaves, peak is in VT/NH. For the most part, the foliage change starts north and works south, but the “peak” is hard to zero in on until its here.

I live in CT and frequent VT/NH/ME. VT for instance usually peaks 2-4 weeks before CT.

Different areas can peak as little as a couple days (say if snow or heavy winds blow in and knock the leaves off) or as long as a couple weeks if conditions are right.

Youre about guaranteed to see a good show if you come, but you can see a truly incredible display of nature if youre able to adapt your trip.

Flying in or driving in?

Link Posted: 6/4/2021 8:07:18 PM EDT
[#13]

That looks great!  
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 8:08:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Progress! Any more suggestions are welcome.
View Quote

The White Mountain National Forest has more to see and do in the Fall then you could possibly fit into one trip.

My favorites: the Pinkham Notch visitor center, and then either the autoroad or cog railway up Mt. Washington. The view on a clear day in the fall, which is typical, is stunning. If you're lucky a gnarly hiker will moon the cog on your way up. It's magical, really.

Conway is a bit touristy, but you're a tourist so whatever. Lots of sales tax free shopping at outdoorsy stores, which your better half will enjoy. By fall I suspect the restaurant/bar scene there will be roaring.

There are a couple of pretty nice ski resorts in the area that offer cheapish chalet style housing in the fall, and some gondola rides to their summits for cheap. I like Loon.

If you're both feeling up for it, there are a couple really easy hikes around Pinkham Notch that will get you away from the road and in the forest. It's a far nicer way to experience the season. All you need is a decent pair of hiking boots, some cool weather clothing and a rain/wind shell. The folks at the visitor center will bend over backwards to point you in the right direction.
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 8:09:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Lifelong New Englander checking in.

If you really want to make the very most of the trip I suggest being as adaptable as possible.

October is the right month (probably, statistically). The second week of October CT might still be green while Maine has shed all its leaves, peak is in VT/NH. For the most part, the foliage change starts north and works south, but the “peak” is hard to zero in on until its here.

I live in CT and frequent VT/NH/ME. VT for instance usually peaks 2-4 weeks before CT.

Different areas can peak as little as a couple days (say if snow or heavy winds blow in and knock the leaves off) or as long as a couple weeks if conditions are right.

Youre about guaranteed to see a good show if you come, but you can see a truly incredible display of nature if youre able to adapt your trip.

Flying in or driving in?

View Quote

Fly in and rent a car.
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 8:12:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Lots of good advise.  Kangamangus highway is awesome and at the end of it is North Conway, a nice tourist town with outlet shopping and tons of dining. We stay at the Grand hotel, it has a outdoor and indoor pool/jacuzzi.  Mt Washington is 30 min north of there and is a must see.
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 8:30:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Fly in and rent a car.
View Quote

Flying into Hartford or Boston?

Whats your lifestyle? Are you guys like young active hikers or just looking for some light walking and lots of eating and drive up stuff?

If you want the ultimate tourist leaf peeping experience and the timing is right, Id highly suggest getting yourself to Stowe VT. Its a drive from either airport but its worth it. My wife and I go annually. Incredible amounts of great food in town, tons of walking trails etc.

You can hike up Mt Mansfield on the Long Trail, or pay to ride a Gondola up to Stowe peak and hike a couple hours up to Mansfield peak. Or you can drive up most of the way and hike it. (Or just enjoy the views from the end of the road and gondola rides.)

Off the beaten path would be Mt Philo which overlooks Lake Champlain. The view is almost breathtaking.

Wherever you end up, if you ask some locals whats good around town many wont be shy to tell you. Despite our reputation many of us are proud of our area here.

Link Posted: 6/4/2021 8:34:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 8:42:09 PM EDT
[#19]
We just took a trip out that way. I didnt care for boston, but salem mass was cool. We stopped in CT and wound up getting steamed cheeseburgers at all american. We wanted to try teds, but they were allowing dine in at the time. Definitely worth a try. Pretty interesting burger....

Bar harbor is pretty expensive, but at least worth the trip to see it. Plus acadia is minutes away.  We stayed in a air b&b in gouldsboro. Schootic national park was close, and while quite a bit smaller than acadia, we liked it more overall.
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 8:44:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 8:53:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Whats your lifestyle? Are you guys like young active hikers or just looking for some light walking and lots of eating and drive up stuff?

If you want the ultimate tourist leaf peeping experience and the timing is right, Id highly suggest getting yourself to Stowe VT. Its a drive from either airport but its worth it. My wife and I go annually. Incredible amounts of great food in town, tons of walking trails etc.

You can hike up Mt Mansfield on the Long Trail, or pay to ride a Gondola up to Stowe peak and hike a couple hours up to Mansfield peak. Or you can drive up most of the way and hike it. (Or just enjoy the views from the end of the road and gondola rides.)

Off the beaten path would be Mt Philo which overlooks Lake Champlain. The view is almost breathtaking.

Wherever you end up, if you ask some locals whats good around town many wont be shy to tell you. Despite our reputation many of us are proud of our area here.

View Quote

Stowe is a neat town. My former wife was from the next town to the east, we went up there often. One of our best trips though was in South VT, we flew into Hartford and stayed in Putney, VT. Made several day trips out from there into the countryside and along the river. There is an awesome diner in Putney that had the best pies I have ever eaten anywhere. The fall color is spectacular if you time it right, I lived in Colorado and experienced the aspen glow but maples do it better.
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 8:57:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Lots of pretty leaves and mountain views in the fall in VA, WV, NC and TN.
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 9:08:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Lots of pretty leaves and mountain views in the fall in VA, WV, NC and TN.
View Quote

I agree wholeheartedly. But my NEW ENGLAND wife will NEVER agree they are equal lol.
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 9:14:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Adirondack high peaks.  We go for a week ever oct.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 9:17:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

Great questions. We're in our 60s, with me being a stroke survivor with a bad back (after living a life of jogging and long distance walking), so as much as I'd like to experience a lot of trail walking, more than likely we'll be doing limited physical activity. Really planning on a change of scenery, relaxing, and great meals.
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 9:27:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Not LEO, so due to probable travel from state to state, Ill probably have to travel unarmed, unless we can nail down stays in reciprocal carry states. Not what I prefer, but my wife is owed this trip.
View Quote

You really only want to go to NH, Maine, and perhaps VT anyway.  Those are all constitutional carry states.   Lots of good places to see in any.   If you're leaf peeping, I'd fly into manchester or portland (logan is cheapest but you have to go to MA for that).   I'd travel up route 1 to MDI, then head north to Bangor.   I'd travel Route 2 to Burlington, VT crossing through NH.  

If that is similar to your plan, I'll recommend routes and B&Bs with good owners along the way, as well as must see spots.
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 9:27:37 PM EDT
[#27]
The Adirondack Railroad in Upstate NY. Leaves out of Utica, winds up through the Adirondack mountains and stops in Thendara. You can take a shuttle over to Old Forge, sightseeing and shopping. Then you can either go on to Big Moose or head back to Utica.
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 9:50:12 PM EDT
[#28]
RI and the surrounding States are beautiful.
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 11:00:39 PM EDT
[#29]
OP..IMHO you're too late to plan it for this year. ALL of the best spots will be booked by this time last year. It's [possible this year but with the gas issue and the timing I'd pass personally.
Use "this" https://newengland.com/seasons/fall/foliage/peak-fall-foliage-map/ or something similar. We did this (and we'll do it again) right after we retired and had a blast. There are many fall color predictors available. USE ONE.

If you are RVing it's one thing. Tent camping another. Fly/hotel yet another. Look around at the travel blogs and READ READ READ.
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 11:13:19 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

Am from VT, this right here.
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 11:17:43 PM EDT
[#31]
Was in CT back in the mid 90s for a while. Nice scenery but probably some of the shittiest people on the planet.
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 11:18:40 PM EDT
[#32]
Little Compton RI. . then head over to nearby Adamsville and have breakfast at "The Barn"
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 11:19:26 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
RT 1 anywhere through New England will be beautiful.  I'm mostly familiar with Bangor, Maine Bar Harbor, Acadia National Park, Camden, etc.  The air is so crisp and clear, gorgeous trees and the smell of apples and pumpkins (depending on how late).  He is a dink, but Steven King's house and the Paul Bunyan statue in Bangor are always a hit.  Good luck!
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 11:24:40 PM EDT
[#34]
Fly into Manchester, NH and stay up around Jackson/North Conway. That leaves both Vt and Me as day trips if you like. Lots to see and do.

Link Posted: 6/4/2021 11:35:59 PM EDT
[#35]
Kittery Trading Post
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top