Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/11/2018 3:27:15 PM EDT
I'm newish to photography, and I've been looking at these two lenses:

AF-S DX NIKKOR 10-24mm F3.5-4.5G ED

and

AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G IF-ED

I plan to use it mostly for real estate photography (to pay for more lenses, lol), but also Milky Way photos, landscapes, etc.

Is the Internal Focus on the 12-24 is worth the extra coin, or should I save money while getting an extra 2mm of focal range?

Also, if anyone has an alternate suggestion for a lense that might suit my needs better, I'm open to suggestions.
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 3:43:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 4:06:33 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a D3300 right now, and I'm looking at the D7500/750 in the near future.

I looked at that 10-20mm... is it the focus motor that makes it so much cheaper?
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 4:15:03 PM EDT
[#3]
indoor realestate? you want fast and wide

multi camera node stitching is the future of realestate imaging

https://matterport.com/3d-marketing-for-real-estate/
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 4:29:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Don't forget about the Tokina 11-16 or 11-20 f/2.8!!

House Sunset Storm 20180510 by FredMan, on Flickr

ISS Transit 20180126 by FredMan, on Flickr

Hamakua Road That Time Forgot by FredMan, on Flickr
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 4:47:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/823/41128959805_e03af9b4e7_b.jpgHouse Sunset Storm 20180510 by FredMan, on Flickr
View Quote
That's gorgeous!

Is there a bit of fisheye around the edges, or is that just the perspective of the shot?

Thanks for sharing, I'm looking hard at that 11-20mm now!
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 8:07:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
That's gorgeous!

Is there a bit of fisheye around the edges, or is that just the perspective of the shot?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/823/41128959805_e03af9b4e7_b.jpgHouse Sunset Storm 20180510 by FredMan, on Flickr
That's gorgeous!

I think it's a mix of both really.  But it could just be perspective as Photoshop/ACR/Lightroom have really good distortion correction built in.  Two clicks and 99% of distortion and CR are gone.

The Tokinas are the most popular wide/ultrawide under $1000 or so.  Great performance for the money.  That said, if you are considering moving up to a full frame camera, get the FX version of whatever lens you buy, not the DX.  FX will work on both, DX will turn a full frame into a crop sensor camera.

For indoors and astro stuff, you'll definitely want something f/2.8 or faster though.  Indoors it'll help with AF unless you're doing it all manual, but you can still stop down and put the camera on a tripod for long shots.  Astro/night stuff, you'll need it wide open for max light so you don't have to crank your ISO through the roof.
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 10:07:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

That's gorgeous!

View Quote
Oh no, there's some fisheye for sure, expecially at 11mm.  LR/PS does have a built in profile, so you can get rid of most of that.  One other thing to keep in mind is that the Tokinas are most sharp from the center out to about 75% to the edge.  Minor/moderate softness at the corners, but I can live with it for the view.  I really don't notice it unless I'm peeping at pixels.

The 11-16 is also prone to noticeable flare if there's a point light in the frame.  Some flare (and some kinds of flare) is good, but the 11-16 seems to have this weird green flare.

Kind of distracting:
Sunset 20170220 by FredMan, on Flickr

Hualalai by FredMan, on Flickr

It's easy to fix once you learn your way around LR/PS, but it is there.

The 11-20, however, doesn't seem to suffer from it.  Must be better/different element coatings.

Morning Fog On The Pond by FredMan, on Flickr
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 10:21:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Well, that settles it!  I've got a Tokina 11-20mm on the way.

Thanks FredMan!
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 10:28:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Well, that settles it!  I've got a Tokina 11-20mm on the way.

Thanks FredMan!
View Quote
you'll enjoy it.  The only thing that takes getting used to is the 'snap ring' for MF/AF modes.  The whole focus ring slips forward and back with detents to switch between modes.  Pretty sure it's essentially a manual disconnect, but can't confirm.
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 12:09:01 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I have a D3300 right now, and I'm looking at the D7500/750 in the near future.

I looked at that 10-20mm... is it the focus motor that makes it so much cheaper?
View Quote
Probably. But the Nikon 10-20 will only work on recent Nikon cameras. It won't work on older cameras because someone described it as a Nikon's "fly-by wire" lens. It will work with D3300 if you update to  the current firmware, which is very easy to do. Works on the D7500. This lens is a APS-C/DX lens so the image circle will be probably too small for an FX camera.
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 8:53:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

you'll enjoy it.  The only thing that takes getting used to is the 'snap ring' for MF/AF modes.  The whole focus ring slips forward and back with detents to switch between modes.  Pretty sure it's essentially a manual disconnect, but can't confirm.
View Quote
Correct. It’s essentially a clutch between the internal drive motor and the focus ring.

One other note, no silent wave motor on Tokinas. You will hear a distinct whirring noise as it focuses. The 11-20is quieter than the 11-16, but still very noticeable. Just another trade off on the price performance curve.
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 4:01:21 PM EDT
[#12]
OP, I just bought a Nikon 14x24mm F2.8 this week. I got it used from B&H, rated at "9+", so it looks brand new. I hope to try it tomorrow evening at a wedding.

B&H has several of these in their used section, FWIW.

My .o2
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 5:06:13 PM EDT
[#13]
whats really fun is to shoot portraits with them with the lens about 3 inches off the subjects nose

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top