Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 9/26/2018 3:30:27 PM EDT
I have a couple of spots that just started showing up at the top of my images. I examined the mirror and image sensor and couldn't see anything on them. It isn't a lens issue, I tested it with two different lenses with the same results. Any advice?

Nikon D7500

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/26/2018 3:32:06 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/26/2018 3:39:03 PM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Zack3g:
Looks like sensor dust.

Mirror lockup, use rocket blower. If that doesn't clear it, you'll need to get some cleaning swabs and deal with it, or send it in for a cleaning if you don't want to do that.

Cleaning isn't that hard.
View Quote
Would the dust be small enough to not be visible to the naked eye and still cause that? Where would I find these cleaning swabs?

Thanks for the quick reply Zack.
Link Posted: 9/26/2018 3:40:46 PM EDT
I'll try the rocket blower tonight when I get home, and pray that it resolved the problem. I'm nervous about messing with the sensor.
Link Posted: 9/26/2018 3:44:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/26/2018 3:46:01 PM EDT by Zack3g]
Link Posted: 9/26/2018 3:49:16 PM EDT
I have this, plus refills for it

www.amazon.com/dp/B0019K8YVMDust is not always visible to the eye, but there's almost always some on your sensor. Wide open apertures it isn't visible. The more you stop down, the more you can see it.

If you really want to see how dirty it is, take a narrow aperture well exposed picture of clear blue sky or a white wall. You'll be shocked.
View Quote
I used the silhouette setting on the camera for the photo that I posted. I figured it would show it the best.

I need to see if my local camera shop carries that, I hate ordering stuff...lol

I appreciate the help.
Link Posted: 9/26/2018 3:58:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/26/2018 5:25:10 PM EDT by Kekoa]
Yeah, Zach nailed it.

Most likely a dust spot. Rocket blower for the win.

I've tried a couple of different types of sensor swabs, without much success. All I've been able to do with them, is move the dust around on the sensor.

I'll bet most camera sensors have a spot or two of dust on them, but as Zach says, they are not so noticeable unless you really stop down. I don't worry about it so much these days, and if they do show up in a shot, I just treat them the same way I would treat an unwanted con-trail, in a landscape photograph. That is, clone it out.

Also, I've found that if you ignore it for a few days, they often go away on their own, and then life is good again.
Link Posted: 9/26/2018 4:01:58 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Kekoa:
Yeah, Zach nailed it.

Most likely a dust spot. Rocket blower for the win.

I've tried a couple of different types of sensor swabs, without much success. All I've been able to do with them, is move the dust around on the sensor.

I'll bet most camera sensors have a spot or two of dust on them, but as Zach says, they are not so noticeable unless you really stop down. I don't worry about it so much these days, and if they do show up in a shot, I just treat them them they same way I would treat an unwanted con-trail, in a landscape photograph. That is, clone it out.

Also, I've found that if you ignore it for a few days, they often go away other own, and then life is good again.
View Quote
It's driving me nuts since I baby the camera. I noticed the spots after I did a lens swap on a slightly breezy night. I though I had the camera protected enough to safely do the swap. Obviously not.
Link Posted: 9/26/2018 5:46:25 PM EDT
Does the D7500 have a sensor cleaning function? My D7100 did and the D500 does.

This function essentially just vibrates the sensor, trying to shake dust loose.

Dust spots are a PITA, but they're easily correctable in post (LR has a built-in Spot Removal tool that works great). The 7500 might also have a "dust off reference photo" feature, where it takes a neutral image (like what Zack said to do to see the dust) and then automagically subtracts that out before writing the image to card. Not sure of that works for raw or just jpg output.

I usually just deal with it in post but will clean my sensor a couple times a year.
Link Posted: 9/26/2018 9:09:53 PM EDT
Yup, unless they are getting to the point of degrading image quality, I don’t deep clean the sensor unless needed. Photoshop/Lightroom can get rid of them in a few clicks easily.

A rocket blower helps a ton, but sensor swabs will eventually be needed. Put your camera (no lens mounted, body cap on) face down and run the sensor cleaning cycle a time or two. That way any dust that gets vibrated off will fall away from the sensor.

On higher end Nikons, two cycles in a row also does a hot/stuck pixel scan and fix, which can be useful to know. Not relevant here, but something to remember.
Link Posted: 9/26/2018 9:22:13 PM EDT
Ive actually gotten some dust inside the eyepiece on my 500 now. I'll clean my sensor a few times a year, but I still don't know how to get that little booger out.
Link Posted: 9/26/2018 11:23:03 PM EDT
I didn't have a rocket blower, just a cheap one. I think I may have gotten the two dust particles off the sensor. Took a couple of shots inside a few minutes ago and checked the images. I don't see the spots. I'll test it tomorrow with a couple of sky shots since that's when the spots were showing the most.

Thanks again for the help guys.
Link Posted: 9/26/2018 11:27:09 PM EDT
Originally Posted By FredMan:
Does the D7500 have a sensor cleaning function? My D7100 did and the D500 does.

This function essentially just vibrates the sensor, trying to shake dust loose.

Dust spots are a PITA, but they're easily correctable in post (LR has a built-in Spot Removal tool that works great). The 7500 might also have a "dust off reference photo" feature, where it takes a neutral image (like what Zack said to do to see the dust) and then automagically subtracts that out before writing the image to card. Not sure of that works for raw or just jpg output.

I usually just deal with it in post but will clean my sensor a couple times a year.
View Quote
Running the sensor cleaning function was one of the first thing that I tried, seven times. No joy, spots were still there.

Not sure if the D7500 has the "dust off reference photo" feature. Don't recall seeing it in the menu.
Link Posted: 9/26/2018 11:30:21 PM EDT
Originally Posted By clweathers:
Ive actually gotten some dust inside the eyepiece on my 500 now. I'll clean my sensor a few times a year, but I still don't know how to get that little booger out.
View Quote
I had that happen to my D3300. It drives me nuts every time I look through the viewfinder since my eye is always attracted to that damn piece of dust. It's just a back up camera now.
Link Posted: 9/27/2018 2:07:18 PM EDT
Originally Posted By ZeroTolerance:

I had that happen to my D3300. It drives me nuts every time I look through the viewfinder since my eye is always attracted to that damn piece of dust. It's just a back up camera now.
View Quote
Luckily when I have it up to my eye while shooting, I don't see it. But I see it every other time.
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 2:10:00 PM EDT
I have this, plus refills for it

www.amazon.com/dp/B0019K8YVMDust is not always visible to the eye, but there's almost always some on your sensor. Wide open apertures it isn't visible. The more you stop down, the more you can see it.

If you really want to see how dirty it is, take a narrow aperture well exposed picture of clear blue sky or a white wall. You'll be shocked.

Edit: A thread I posted about this cleaning product a while back that got zero replies

https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/-/121-1840397/?page=1
View Quote
Will this work on mirrorless, and not fuck up the AA filter?
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 9:54:14 PM EDT
Top Top