Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/7/2005 7:23:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/7/2005 7:24:27 PM EDT by Wash-Ar15]
In the early 80's the state of wash had no helmet law. I rode without wearing one for a few years. Then in the mid 80's a mandatory helmet law was passed. I hated it. I ahve not ridden in years but I still prefer the choice if I wish to wear or not.

according to the stats the laws save lives. But should they be madatory?

If you had a choice would you wear or not?
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 7:24:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/7/2005 7:25:20 PM EDT by fight4yourrights]
IBTP - In Before The Poll

I vote NO on mandatory laws...............but I will ALWAYS wear a helmet.

My noggin is worth protecting, but I'm not sure if your's is - so I don't want to force it on you.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 7:25:35 PM EDT

As long as people can prove they have insurance to cover any treatment, life-flight, etc. - I don't care. Just sign the donor card.

(Indirectly, of course I'd still pay a little - through higher insurance premiums - but I can live with that in exchange for more personal freedom)
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 7:25:38 PM EDT
Let Darwin do his work.

No on the helmet law. People have a right to be stupid.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 7:25:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/7/2005 7:27:20 PM EDT by deej86]
I'd wear. The bike can be replaced, you cannot.

EDIT-Illinois does not require helmets. IIRC for your test you need one.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 7:26:33 PM EDT
Population control at work
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 7:27:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/7/2005 7:28:38 PM EDT by 3rdStreet]
I recently drove my bike to PA last weekend with my father and tried it. I really didn't like it and neither did my father. For around town and no major roads YES. It might be because i am used to driving with one i didn't feel safe. My opinion though.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 7:29:27 PM EDT
It's bad whenever the government limits personal freedoms, no matter how minor.

That said, I am a supporter of Darwinism and have never rode my dirt bike without my helmet. If I had a street bike I would do the same.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 7:30:22 PM EDT
your choice
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 7:31:43 PM EDT

Originally Posted By twonami:
your choice

... and don't forget it either

NO
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 7:36:06 PM EDT
NO. Seatbelt laws neither.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 7:39:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/7/2005 7:41:06 PM EDT by Gravity_Tester]
Nope.

Although I never ride without mine, I would never tell anyone else what to do with their own head. If you want rocks and bugs in your eyes and wind in your ears, have at!

ETA: I also think that seat belts should be outlawed, and every car should be outfitted with a 15 inch long stainless steel spike in the center of the steering wheel. Pay attention or die. Very simple.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 7:40:58 PM EDT
I vote no on the helmet laws. That said, I ride nearly every day and wouldn't be caught without helmet, gloves, leathers, boots. I figured I survived many helmetless rides when I was younger and I'm not taking any more chances. BTW, even though I don't think there should be a helmet law and people should be allowed to make their own choices, I hate the idiots who try to make the claim that helmets are less safe cause they affect your hearing and vision. Absolute idiotic nonsense.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 7:41:29 PM EDT
No, I don't agree with helmet laws.

On that note, I think you should be entitled to ABSOLUTELY ZERO insurance and civil claim compensation if you are in an accident without a helmet. It's your own damn fault for being a moron without protection.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 7:43:00 PM EDT
Should there be a law? No.

Should a rider wear one? Yes. Common sense dictates.

IMO the Gov't ain't here to protect people from themselves...

Link Posted: 9/7/2005 7:44:16 PM EDT
My state does not have a helmet law and I like it that way. Having said that, I always ride with a helmet....minus the horns.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 7:54:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/7/2005 7:55:44 PM EDT by tangeant]
I know a " No Helmet " rider, after his third serious wreck (which happened about a year sfter getting out of the Hosp recovering from severe head injuries from wreck two) which involved a moose, he is pretty much a drooler and can't ride or shoot or do much of anything else.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 7:59:14 PM EDT
A helmet isn't like a seat belt. If you hit a tree, car, animal, guardrail, train, light pole...ect a helmet isn't going to do you any good because you will be dead anyway. Now if you wipe out and skid down the highway the helmet might protect your brain so that you can feel your body being torn to shreads by the asphalt. That said I wear a helmet 99.9% of the time.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 8:05:07 PM EDT
I say NO to the helmet law, its your choice, but how ironic is it that you can NOT wear a helmet legally but get pulled over if a cop thinks you are not wearing a seat belt?

Either way, I wear my helmet, if other people choose not to, so be it, its their life. I disagree with the not being able to claim insurance if you dont wear a helmet. Dont wear a helmet, get in a accident, and claim it on your insurance, fine. Its YOUR insurance, your head, your money, why not? I dont feel I am being fucked because some guys dont wear helmets. Hell, Im 24, ride a sportbike, and my full coverage is only 24 bucks a month through USAA.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 8:05:09 PM EDT
Jugding by your responses, some of you seem to be having trouble grasping the difference between:

1. Should you wear a helmet? and

2. Should the state require you to wear a helmet?

Reading comprehension, folks...it's a GOOD thing to master!
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 8:07:24 PM EDT
NO

That said, if you don't wear a full face helmet when you ride you deserve the broken brain bucket that's coming your way. I'm just too damn libertarian, an been in enough accidents of my own.

I see it the same way I do seatbelts.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 8:08:26 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Skibane:
Jugding by your responses, some of you seem to be having trouble grasping the difference between:

1. Should you wear a helmet? and

2. Should the state require you to wear a helmet?

Reading comprehension, folks...it's a GOOD thing to master! hr

Thanks for your informational contribution to the post. You havent answered ANY of the questions!
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 8:09:35 PM EDT
no if i wanna kill myself let me, same with a seatbelt
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 8:09:40 PM EDT
Mandatory helmet law ... NO!

However, I never ride without wearing a helmet. NEVER.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 8:10:33 PM EDT
No helmet laws.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 8:15:17 PM EDT
NO.

Let the idiots be idiots.

I'd personally never wear a bike without leather, hard armor, and a helmet, much less even get on a bike; considering that I live in NYC and know the variety and quantity of idiots we have driving on our roads.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 8:25:32 PM EDT
Don't agree with helmet laws (or any other B.S. laws that put restrictions on my freedom of choice for that matter). That being said, I still ride my motorcycles and my snowboards with a helmet to protect my head!
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 8:26:01 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Dry-Heat:
Mandatory helmet law ... NO!

However, I never ride without wearing a helmet. NEVER.

... Hey bro, it was nice meeting you Monday

... Maybe next time we can ride off on the same road together. I noticed you had a helmet, I'm sure you noticed I didn't - better men both for respecting each others CHOICE in the matter
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 8:36:34 PM EDT
Yes.
Not riding with one is amazingly stupid. I've seen a few crashes where the guy's head, well, nevermind the description. You dont' want that happening to you.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 8:37:21 PM EDT
I am opposed to helmet laws. Who own your head? If you are not free to do stupid things with your own body, how can you say you are free.

Personally, I never ride without one.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 8:38:28 PM EDT
It should be ones own choice to wear a helmet or not.

Pro: Full face helmet saved my face once.

Con: Full face helmet provided pressure to produce hair line crack at C3

Yeah, I'll wear a helmet always.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 8:44:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/7/2005 8:49:16 PM EDT by Winston_Wolf]

Originally Posted By DarkKnight:
Yes.
Not riding with one is amazingly stupid. I've seen a few crashes where the guy's head, well, nevermind the description. You dont' want that happening to you.

... Is this an attempt at sly innuendo?

... If it is, it should be noted that riding a motorcycle is inherently dangerous. If you get lulled into a false-sense of security that a friggin' bucket on your head is gonna save your fragile life in the event of a violent impact - you'd better again think your position about riding

... However, you can aways view life from a safer vantage point - like a porch
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 3:47:30 AM EDT
No - helmet or not should be a personal choice.
Same thing with seatbelt laws. I do wear a helmet when I ride even in states that don't require it.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 3:54:32 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Evil_Ed:
Should there be a law? No.

Should a rider wear one? Yes. Common sense dictates.

What he said.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 7:01:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/8/2005 7:04:43 AM EDT by billclo]
I say no to mandatory wear laws. But I also say that the rider accepts the responsibility of not wearing one. Ergo, if he has an accident and a head injury, and isn't wearing the helmet, his insurance doesn't have to pay for hospital bills. His choice, his problem.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 7:12:47 AM EDT

Originally Posted By fight4yourrights:
IBTP - In Before The Poll

I vote NO on mandatory laws...............but I will ALWAYS wear a helmet.

My noggin is worth protecting, but I'm not sure if your's is - so I don't want to force it on you.

My sentiments, exactly! Though I haven't "always", if I'm riding on country roads (so "country" you MIGHT see one or two cars in an hour), never to go over 35mph, I will sometimes forego a helmet.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 7:16:56 AM EDT

Originally Posted By DK-Prof:

As long as people can prove they have insurance to cover any treatment, life-flight, etc. - I don't care. Just sign the donor card.

(Indirectly, of course I'd still pay a little - through higher insurance premiums - but I can live with that in exchange for more personal freedom)

+1
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 7:19:33 AM EDT
It's funny Andreuha, I also don't ride without a full face/armored riding suit.

But I think if you want to ride without a helmet, that's your choice, but you should be required to have enough life insurance and health insurance to pick up the tab for your choice if you are unlucky enough to splatter your head on the pavement. Oh, and mandatory organ donor status too.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 7:29:46 AM EDT
I always wore a helmet when I had a bike. When I get another bike, I will continue to do so.

That said, NO to helmet laws. Gov't shouldn't be nannying us around more than it already does.

PA has a relatively lax helmet law. If you are >21 and have >2 years riding experience, you don't have to wear a helmet. That said, I've never seen a 16 y.o. pulled over for not having a helmet.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 7:47:12 AM EDT
If you don't ride a scoot, your vote don't count.

If ya ride a scoot daily like myself, ya don't post fucked up pics of dead scoot trash, it's seriously un-cool.

I decide when I do and when I don't wear a helmet and have no need for the state to decide for me.

Mike
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 7:57:20 AM EDT
I dont think that there should be helmet or seatbelt laws.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 8:11:51 AM EDT
No helmet laws, and I'd like to add - NO INSURANCE WAIVERS OR RESTRICTIONS for this right, either. Despite repeated requests, nobody has ever been able to show me a correlation between unhelmeted head injuries and increased insurance premiums. If we denied insurance coverage to any other group of people who did something that "wasn't very bright", insurance companies would be more filthy stinking loaded than they already are.

Did insurance premiums drop in California after mandatory helmet laws were enacted? Didn't think so.

Link Posted: 9/8/2005 8:13:40 AM EDT
If I want to endanger myself thats my damn right!
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 8:17:31 AM EDT
No!, but I wear one anyway, should be a choice not the law.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 8:21:20 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 8:22:41 AM EDT
NO LAW!

I wore one 95% of the time before the law. However there are times when riding with a helmet that are more dangerous than without. On some days it hits 100+ here, and I have been sweating and dizzy on my bike when stuck in traffic. The chance that my riding skill would be compromised by the helmet is much greater than the safety it provides.

Besides - Darwin needs to do his job
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 8:29:10 AM EDT

Originally Posted By deej86:
I'd wear. The bike can be replaced, you cannot.

EDIT-Illinois does not require helmets. IIRC for your test you need one.

FYI, IL does NOT require helmets for the license test (or didn't a couple years ago when I got mine).
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 8:32:46 AM EDT

Whomever deleted my previous post in this thread, please don't do that without at least IM'ing me to discuss.

I choose to wear a helmet. The only down side to freedom of choice is that insurance rates are seriously affected. We whom wear helmets dont get a discount, and those whom don't arent charged a higher rate.
The independent soul in me doesnt like to be told what to do. The rider of 30+ yrs in me
knows intellectually that while helmets wont save you in ALL crashes, they help in ALOT of crashes.
I'd be in some military cemetery if it wasnt for the helmet I was wearing in Sept. '91 when I spun down the road on my head.

DaddyDett
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 8:46:04 AM EDT
I am forced to wear a seatbelt.

Whats the difference?

They told us what to do in our cars, they can tell us what to do on mototcycles.

Link Posted: 9/8/2005 8:50:43 AM EDT

Originally Posted By ZitiForBreakfast:
I am forced to wear a seatbelt.

Whats the difference?

They told us what to do in our cars, they can tell us what to do on mototcycles.

Good point!

I think it should be the drives choise to wear or not wear.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 8:52:15 AM EDT

Originally Posted By DaddyDett:
Whomever deleted my previous post in this thread, please don't do that without at least IM'ing me to discuss.

I choose to wear a helmet. The only down side to freedom of choice is that insurance rates are seriously affected. We whom wear helmets dont get a discount, and those whom don't arent charged a higher rate.
The independent soul in me doesnt like to be told what to do. The rider of 30+ yrs in me
knows intellectually that while helmets wont save you in ALL crashes, they help in ALOT of crashes.
I'd be in some military cemetery if it wasnt for the helmet I was wearing in Sept. '91 when I spun down the road on my head.

DaddyDett

How are insurance rates seriously affected? I contend that there is no change. I'm familiar with the rationale behind this thinking, but I have yet to see actual proof of increased rates due to unhelmeted riders sustaining head injuries.

I keep hearing this public burden argument this over and over, and I'm beginning to think it's "true" because it gets repeated ad nauseum. You guys that keep insisting insurance rates are higher because of unhelmeted riders need to start showing some proof.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top