Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/8/2002 4:40:21 PM EDT
... That I would even come close to agreeing  with anything Al Sharpton would have to say.

NEW YORK - The Rev. Al Sharpton said Monday he has written to the Nobel Peace Prize committee asking it not to consider Rudolph Giuliani for the prestigious award because it would present ``a distortion of history.''
``To act as if his career reaches that of Martin Luther King Jr., Mahatma Gandhi and Nelson Mandela is to totally rewrite the history of his tenure in this building,'' Sharpton said during a news conference on the steps of City Hall.
Giuliani's spokeswoman, Sunny Mindel, declined to comment.
The former mayor, who is touring the country to promote his new book, ``Leadership,'' was among the nominees for this year's Nobel Peace Prize.
It was not known what, if any, significance Sharpton's letter - which he said was sent Monday to the prize committee - would have. The secretive committee has already chosen this year's winner, and is to announce its decision on Friday. As usual, the panel offered no hints about its decision.
Giuliani was considered an unlikely candidate because his response to the Sept. 11 attack on the World Trade Center would not be classified as a contribution to world peace, as the prize requires.
Sharpton echoed that sentiment, saying the former mayor had merely responded to an attack.
``I've written the Nobel Prize committee to say we would consider it offensive and a distortion of history for Rudy Giuliani to be granted the Nobel Peace Prize,'' he said.
He criticized Giuliani for his handling of police brutality cases, particularly that of Abner Louima, a Haitian immigrant who was sexually tortured in a police station bathroom.
Sharpton called the Republican former mayor ``one of the greatest racial polarizer in the history of American politics.''
``We must remember the entirety of Mr. Giuliani's tenure,'' he added.
Last week, Sharpton, a Democrat, announced that he would step down as president of the National Action Network, a civil rights organization, to explore a 2004 bid for the presidency.
The $1 million Nobel Peace Prize will be presented in Oslo, Norway, on Dec. 10, on the anniversary of its Swedish creator Alfred Nobel's death in 1896.
Others nominated for the prize include Afghan President Hamid Karzai, who has sought to unify his country after the hard-line Taliban was ousted by U.S.-led air strikes. President Bush and British Prime Minister Tony Blair also were nominated for leading the war against terrorism; however, they are seen as unlikely winners in the wake of their efforts to convince the world of the need to overthrow Saddam Hussein.

I like Rudy. He seems like a swell guy and all but I think his role in 9/11 is way overblown, but worthy of a Noble Peace Prize nomination?

My only disagreement with Sharpton's view is that it has the usual racist tinge and personal
feelings towards Giuliani.

FWIW, I actually like Al, too. He gives me something to laugh about where others take him seriously.
Link Posted: 10/8/2002 4:43:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Yeah, I wouldn't put Rudy in with Communist King and that Butcher Mandela either.
Link Posted: 10/8/2002 4:58:53 PM EDT
[#2]
You know, Steyr, Rudy NEVER renounced terrorism as means of forcing political...'

Wait, that was Mandela.

And Arafat.

I agree, don't lower him to that level.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top