Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 8/31/2004 8:10:31 PM EST
Do you really believe in it?

Sometimes, when I think about it, it scares me to no end. An eterity of torment. No more chances. No reprieve. Game over. You lose.

It scares me enough to make me make sure I don't end up there when I die.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 8:11:52 PM EST
When you go to hell are there other people or are you alone?
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 8:12:46 PM EST

Originally Posted By Taxman:

I can't say I never been there.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 8:15:52 PM EST
[Last Edit: 8/31/2004 8:20:12 PM EST by criley]
Yes it is real. It was prepared for the devil and his angels. Never meant for man.

Mt 25:41 Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels

2Pe 3:9 The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.

Some end up in hell because they have no desire for a relationship with their Creator. But God wants one with them, and he proved it on the cross. Jesus died for our sins, was buried and rose again. Those who repent of their sins and trust Jesus' finished work are forgiven of their sins and have everlasting life.

Heaven or hell. Depends on what you do with the love of God.

1 Cor 15:1 ¶ Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand; 2 By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain. 3 For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures 4 And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:

Link Posted: 8/31/2004 8:19:28 PM EST
I have a first class one-way ticket.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 8:20:09 PM EST
No.

There's scary places in real life though. Jail, prison, third world countries.

Link Posted: 8/31/2004 8:22:16 PM EST

Originally Posted By topjimmy:
No.

There's a way out of prison and third world countries, even if it is death. But there is NO way out of hell.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 8:24:52 PM EST

I would imagine it's not going to be a family BBQ......

More like an eternal molten lava pit in total seclusion

No.

While those places are awful.... see the description above and tell me what could be possibly worse

Not for me thanks! I will be doing summer saults on the streets of gold!
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 8:26:13 PM EST
[Last Edit: 8/31/2004 8:28:07 PM EST by M4]

Originally Posted By clean_cut:

No, don't believe in it, and further more, I don't require ancient mythological nonsense to scare me in to living like a decent human being.

Link Posted: 8/31/2004 8:28:20 PM EST

Originally Posted By M4:

No, don't believe in it, and further more, I don't require ancient mythological nonsense to scare me in to living like a decent human being.

That's fine. Live any way you wish. No judgement here. But if you're wrong...
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 8:28:29 PM EST
well, that depends upon what one believes. in the old testament, the closest thing to the popular idea of hell was gehenna, which was an actual physical place in earthly israel. then the roman revisionists, led by paul (nee saul), came along and co-opted the concept, turning it into a lurid, astral torture chamber.

personally, i am not a member of romanized judaism, which is popularly referred to as 'christianity'. i do believe in hell, but in the older sense of 'the outer darkness': being cut off from the presence of god.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 8:29:50 PM EST
[Last Edit: 8/31/2004 8:31:12 PM EST by topjimmy]

No.

There's a way out of prison and third world countries, even if it is death. But there is NO way out of hell.

I don't believe in heaven or hell.

One thing I don't understand with the religious concept of hell... is there really anything that you can do on earth that would warrant an ETERNITY of torture? Many years of torture, sure. Maybe hundreds or thousands of years. For some, such as Adolf Hilter, even millions of years of torture. But never ending? Even after a trillion years it never ends?

Seems a bit excessive to me, especially when it's supposed to be doled out by a loving, forgiving God.

Link Posted: 8/31/2004 8:32:16 PM EST
I believe Hell would be spending eternity in a hot tub, pressed between Al Franken and Hillary Clinton.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 8:34:33 PM EST

ahhh...christianity's greatest product line. afterlife insurance.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 8:34:44 PM EST
[Last Edit: 8/31/2004 8:35:41 PM EST by captainpooby]
I'm hoping to plead eternity in hell down to a few years in pugatory. I''l cop to a lot of swearing and impure thoughts.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 8:39:39 PM EST
[Last Edit: 8/31/2004 8:44:17 PM EST by Zaphod]

Yes, especially after I visit DUh.

In all sincerity, I believe that Hell is the one place God chooses not to be. Into that place go all those who chose to forsake Him. In His absence, there is absolutly NOTHING that could in any way be considered good. NOTHING.

Believe me, that terrifies me far more than the whole lake-of-fire thing.

Fortunately, I don't have to worry about going there, because I have been saved by Grace, despite the fact that I've done NOTHING to deserve it, and done EVERYTHING to NOT deserve it.

Thank you, Lord!
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 8:40:13 PM EST
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 8:40:48 PM EST

Originally Posted By sirensong:

Then don't buy it.

.....but don't bitch later when you need it!
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 8:41:01 PM EST
Hell is seperation from God and knowing that youre seperate. FACT
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 8:42:11 PM EST
It is real and yes it scares me.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 8:44:32 PM EST

Originally Posted By Zaphod:

Originally Posted By sirensong:

Then don't buy it.

.....but don't bitch later when you need it!

Touche
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 8:46:13 PM EST
Yes

"The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he doesn't exist"
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 8:47:19 PM EST
I'm living in hell right now (SoCal).

CW
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 8:47:38 PM EST
Luke 12:5
But I will show you whom you should fear: Fear him who, after the killing of the body, has power to throw you into hell. Yes, I tell you, fear him.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 8:49:07 PM EST
[Last Edit: 8/31/2004 8:51:43 PM EST by reef_runner]

No.

You forgot California. i think Hell was made up by the way-back ppl as a control factor.

(I meant the "ancients")
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 8:53:09 PM EST

Yes...It's near Texas.

SGtar15
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 8:54:39 PM EST
I believe there is a hell.

I believe that Jesus Christ is the only way out of hell.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 9:34:38 PM EST
Yes.

This is my only life. So why not be a decent person and love God? What do I have to lose in doing so? Nothing. What do I have to lose in not doing so? Everything. And if God didn't really exist, what have I lost? Nothing.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 9:57:46 PM EST
Someone post the pic of the city-limit type sign freezing over........you know the one....
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 10:02:58 PM EST

Nope. Plenty of Muslims. (Methinks the "moderates" only get some time in purgatory. All 5 of them)

- BUCC_Guy

(Watch the video of the Nepalese workers and tell me I'm wrong)
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 10:05:17 PM EST
[Last Edit: 8/31/2004 10:05:58 PM EST by cduarte]
l'enfer, c'est les autres, or hell is other people. Jean Paul Sartre
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 10:08:21 PM EST

MY Current LandLORD....

MT
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 10:25:43 PM EST
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 10:27:00 PM EST
[Last Edit: 8/31/2004 10:32:09 PM EST by FNGSniper]
yeah, it's called the 13th precinct.

"so, there's an invisible man that lives in the sky, huh?
What about Zombies? seriously, you never hear anything about zombies, and when you do, it's always negative shit."
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 10:28:35 PM EST
[Last Edit: 8/31/2004 10:31:26 PM EST by topjimmy]

Originally Posted By BLY:
Yes.

This is my only life. So why not be a decent person and love God? What do I have to lose in doing so? Nothing. What do I have to lose in not doing so? Everything. And if God didn't really exist, what have I lost? Nothing.

All those hours wasted in church that could have been spent out shooting or doing something fun.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 6:52:01 AM EST
[Jack Handy]"When you die, if they give you the choice between going to Regular Heaven or Pie Heaven, choose Pie Heaven. It's probably a trick, but if not....MMMMM BOY!" [/Jack Handy]
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 6:58:12 AM EST

Sometimes, when I think about it, it scares me to no end. An eterity of torment. No more chances. No reprieve. Game over. You lose.

No.

The concept was SUPPOSED to scare you, thats why they developed it, to encourage you to adopt and practice their religion.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 6:59:43 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/1/2004 7:00:28 AM EST by kill-9]

Sometimes, when I think about it, it scares me to no end.

You've just illustrated the whole point of the hell myth; it's a tool of power for those who need followers. Pretty effective, isn't it?
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 7:01:59 AM EST
Hell is a myth. Lots of people believe in it. I don't.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 7:05:58 AM EST
Why worry?

In life there are only two things to worry about:
Whether you are sick or whether you are well.

If you are well, then there is nothing to worry about.
If you are sick, then there are only two things to worry about

Whether you get well or whether you die.
If you get well, then there's nothing to worry about.
If you die, then there's only two things to worry about.

Whether you go to heaven or you go to hell.
If you go to heaven then there's nothing to worry about.
If you go to hell, you'll be too busy shaking hands with friends to worry about anything.

On the serious side though, yes i believe there is a hell.
For me it would be in a small white room that constantly plays country music, with steaks and Mountain Dew dangling from the ceiling just out of reach. With perhaps the ocassional visit from people like Feinstein and Hitlary just to make sure I stay pissed off.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 7:09:20 AM EST

Originally Posted By McKenzie:
Hell is seperation from God and knowing that youre seperate. FACT

McKenzie hit the nail on the head. Well said.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 7:21:10 AM EST

Originally Posted By M4:

I second that. It's just used to keep the peasants in line through fear. "Do what we tell you, or you'll burn in Hell for eternity". Just as bad as the folk who brainwash the Indian peasants that they should take all the shit they're given, to accept being downtrodden and oppressed, because they'll rise a notch in the reincarnation ladder if they are good peasants". Pure evil, I say.

If I'm wrong, I'm wrong, but frankly the evidence for "Hell" isn't all that convincing to me. Now "hell on Earth" I can grasp a little more firmly.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 7:40:26 AM EST

Originally Posted By FanoftheBlackRifle:
Someone post the pic of the city-limit type sign freezing over........you know the one....

This one?:

Link Posted: 9/1/2004 7:46:31 AM EST

I don't believe in heaven or hell.

One thing I don't understand with the religious concept of hell... is there really anything that you can do on earth that would warrant an ETERNITY of torture? Many years of torture, sure. Maybe hundreds or thousands of years. For some, such as Adolf Hilter, even millions of years of torture. But never ending? Even after a trillion years it never ends?

Seems a bit excessive to me, especially when it's supposed to be doled out by a loving, forgiving God.

We are all born of sin, deserving of Hell - we only get to Heaven by the grace of God. IOW, we are saved from Hell to Heaven, not banished from Heaven to Hell. YMMV.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 7:46:51 AM EST
The thing that bugs me most about the hell idea is that according to what's said about who goes there and who doesn't, a lot of people I really care for, including my Dad, are there. How happy would an eternal life be for someone who was "saved" if he knew that many of his friends and loved ones were being burned alive for eternity? Damned if you do, damned if you don't.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 7:55:58 AM EST

Originally Posted By Red_Beard:
The thing that bugs me most about the hell idea is that according to what's said about who goes there and who doesn't, a lot of people I really care for, including my Dad, are there. How happy would an eternal life be for someone who was "saved" if he knew that many of his friends and loved ones were being burned alive for eternity? Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

We'll be satisfied - that's all we need to know IMHO.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 8:51:55 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/1/2004 8:53:01 AM EST by TheCynic]

There's no need for red-hot pokers. Hell is ... other people!

- Jean-Paul Sartre

Link Posted: 9/1/2004 8:53:30 AM EST

No.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 8:55:35 AM EST
Sure do believe in Hell. Was married for 10 years. Now im in purgatory and with a few more years of good behavior, I may just move up a notch.

Link Posted: 9/1/2004 9:06:21 AM EST
No I absolutely do not believe in a literal, eternal hell.

Even the Bible declares that the wages of sin is death. Except that in order to be tortured in an eternal living hell, you have to have eternal life in order to endure it.

Common Christian Belief Logical Fallacy Number #15236523465
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 9:08:10 AM EST

Originally Posted By sgtar15:

Yes...It's near Texas.

SGtar15

Arkansas?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Top Top