Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/17/2006 9:38:02 AM EDT
I have a need to know just how fast those larger heavy pavement rollers can move.  In MPH if possible. (I'm unsure of the manufacturer, I believe it's a BOMAG) especially in reverse.  Also how much they weigh, how much noise they make, and how fast they can stop once at top speed.  

You don't want to see pics.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 9:39:45 AM EDT
[#1]
I know what you are referring too.  You have pics?
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 9:40:26 AM EDT
[#2]

I go over nasty crime scene photos for fun.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 9:44:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 9:45:24 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I have a need to know just how fast those larger heavy pavement rollers can move.  In MPH if possible. (I'm unsure of the manufacturer, I believe it's a BOMAG) especially in reverse.  Also how much they weigh, how much noise they make, and how fast they can stop once at top speed.  

Seeing how they usually move slow to perform their designed tasks....I'd guess if you hammered down you'd get close to 10mph in reverse.  They're not built for speed.  They need a low bed tractor trailer to tow them from job to job.

They weight ALOT 8-30 ton depending on the model, they make a vibration that'll come close to cracking adjacent driveways.  At top speed they brake pretty well.  For highway work you're referencing the BIG ones....you do NOT want to come within 20 feet of one whilst in operation.

I don't need pics.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 9:47:22 AM EDT
[#5]
You need to give MUCH more info.

Which exact model?

On what surface is it moving on? Pavement, dirt, etc.

Your question is like asking "How fast can a Chevy go?" It depends, and so does your question.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 9:47:32 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I can give you some rough estimates as there are so many out there.  Yes, I want to see pics.

No more than about 12 mpg, either direction.  More like about 3 when working.  Weight varies by model from about 2000 to about 50,000 lbs they are about as loud as your average dozer, ear plugs are a good idea, and they can stop usually within 10-45 feet depending on weight/speed.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 9:48:15 AM EDT
[#7]
I'd email these guys and ask those questions: www.erbequipment.com/allied/Bomag/Asingledrumrollers.htm, as the specs do not contain the info you seek.

Mike
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 9:52:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Depending on what it is, it could go from 5K~30K lbs and in high range can go up to about 25mph  Low range is around 5MPH

Some are even heavier.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 9:56:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Get me the MFGR. and model  and I'll fax you all the specs. There is a ton of info
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 10:02:39 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I know what you are referring too.  You have pics?

Sorry guys, pic are out of the question.  I was told by the assigned investigator that the thing weighs 41-61K lbs. Something that just does not sound right.  Other than that I have very little info other than it apparently moves a lot faster in reverse than some folks think.

I'll check out the BOMAG link, thanks.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 10:19:56 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/3589695.html

nasty....

Sounds like this guy was a victim of his own experience. WAY too many guys get complacent around heavy equipment. I always tell the new guys not to trust either the equipment OR the operator too much. Cables can snap, brakes can fail, the operator can be daydreaming, etc, etc...
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 10:22:12 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Sounds like this guy was a victim of his own experience. WAY too many guys get complacent around heavy equipment. I always tell the new guys not to trust either the equipment OR the operator too much. Cables can snap, brakes can fail, the operator can be daydreaming, etc, etc...

You got that right - in fact it's the experienced ones that end up in most related accidents.

OSHA will have a field day with that one.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 10:29:39 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You got that right - in fact it's the experienced ones that end up in most related accidents.

OSHA will have a field day with that one.

People who live next to railroad tracks say they never hear the train coming.

People who work around this type of heavy machinery probably do not pay attention to it...but they should.

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 10:42:44 AM EDT
[#14]
They can move up to 15.5 mph.    Braking all depends on how well it's been serviced.  With the viberator on, they can be very loud.  The backup alarm should be load enough to be heard over the machines noise.

www.bomag.com/ext_resource/americas/heavy/BW24R_2pg.pdf
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 10:44:28 AM EDT
[#15]
Need make and model.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top