User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/7/2005 7:33:00 PM EDT
no idea how accurate it is, probably not very, but it's a decent movie
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 7:39:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 7:41:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Been watching the whole thing...came on right after Pale Rider.

HH
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 7:42:37 PM EDT
[#3]
From what I understand it wasn't all that accurate.

BTW: The Invasion of Granada should remind us all that we should get a short-wave radio to listen to foreign news broadcasts because Reagan slapped a ban about the invasion on USA news media.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 8:32:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Sweed .

Link Posted: 8/7/2005 8:50:00 PM EDT
[#5]
come to think of it, I don't think I'd ever heard about us invading grenada until the first time I saw this movie a couple years ago
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 8:53:07 PM EDT
[#6]
I always thought that movie was a parody of our armed forces and never really cared for it.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 8:56:05 PM EDT
[#7]
" This does'nt mean that were gonna be swappin spit in the shower"  

" I gotta modle A-ford and a tank full of gas, hand full of pu--y and a mouth full of ass"  

Awsome movie.  
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 8:28:39 AM EDT
[#8]
"A distinct sound when fired at you".  Loved this movie.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 8:32:37 AM EDT
[#9]

I've drank more beer, pissed more blood, and banged more quiff than all you numb-nuts put together

Be advised, I'm mean nasty and tired. I eat concertina wire and piss napalm and I could a round through a fleas ass at 300 yards. So why don't you hump somebody else's leg mutt-face before I push yours in.

Two of the best lines in that movie. I need to get this one on dvd, the vhs copy is about to give up the ghost.

eta:

Choozoo: Hey, crotch rot, you gonna slurp my lifer's juice out of my own cup?
Highway: Yeah, I should've gotten shots beforehand.
Choozoo: Your brain as half as quick as your mouth, skunk stool, you'd be a friggin' twenty-star general by now.
Highway: And if I was a half as ugly as you, Sergeant Major, I'd be a poster boy for a prophylactic.

Link Posted: 8/8/2005 8:41:15 AM EDT
[#10]

come to think of it, I don't think I'd ever heard about us invading grenada until the first time I saw this movie a couple years ago.

Then you weren't paying attention.  It's not like it wasn't the biggest news story of the year.

I certainly don't remember any news blackout.  In fact, when the SEALs drowned, it was everywhere.

How old were you?
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 8:43:38 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
From what I understand it wasn't all that accurate.

BTW: The Invasion of Granada should remind us all that we should get a short-wave radio to listen to foreign news broadcasts because Reagan slapped a ban about the invasion on USA news media.

Or internet access.  
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 8:45:34 AM EDT
[#12]
I remember the morning of the invasion......our drills dragging us out for a before dawn grass drill session all the while using Grenada as the excuse

Benning school for boys!
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 8:49:24 AM EDT
[#13]
The Lt. resembled a few I knew.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 8:55:52 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
come to think of it, I don't think I'd ever heard about us invading grenada until the first time I saw this movie a couple years ago

I remember reading a news story that the Marines disavowed any association with this movie saying that they don't cuss that much.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 8:59:46 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I remember reading a news story that the Marines disavowed any association with this movie....

That much is true.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 9:02:42 AM EDT
[#16]
It was just a funny movie. Nothing more.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 10:00:20 AM EDT
[#17]
I heard they approached the US ARMY,  82nd AIRBORNE, they read the script and said "NO WAY",  then the USMC said the same thing.

I thought it was insulting to portray our troops as a bunch of undiscplined dipshits.

Link Posted: 8/8/2005 10:03:30 AM EDT
[#18]
It makes Marine Recon out to be complete morons. I try to overlook it though.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 10:04:49 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

I remember reading a news story that the Marines disavowed any association with this movie saying that they don't cuss that much.

I learned whole new cuss words at Parris Island.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 10:06:34 AM EDT
[#20]
Hollywood used Grenada as an excuse to make another stupid movie.  Its not even close to protraying any actual event that took place during Urgent Fury.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 10:07:34 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 10:11:40 AM EDT
[#22]
I don't think accuracy was ever a concern with this movie. Just a re-telling of the age old "hard as nails" NCO kicking the 10%'ers into shape. It definitely went down-hill once they were deployed, but the movie has some funny lines.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 10:13:03 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
It makes Marine Recon out to be complete morons.

Yep.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 10:18:01 AM EDT
[#24]
Heartbreak Ridge (Korea) was an Army fight.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 10:52:15 AM EDT
[#25]
My dad was in this movie(Alex Bello), you can see him in the one of the first parts when clint and the platoon is in formation, my dad is the short guy with black hair that is talking to clint eastwood up front then falls back into formation. He was USMC at the time, i dunno what rank(he retired at 1stSgt a few years ago, was in 1st and 2nd Force Recon or something like that) but he gave eastwood a lot of advice on how to authentically act like a Marine and got paid a couple hundred bucks for it, still gets royalty checks from warner bros once in awhile for like 12 bucks lol.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 11:07:31 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

It had to do with them surviving it, but not as Marines at that time.  IIRC, the Seargent Major, in one of the bar scenes recounts the battle and then says they joined the Corps later.

One of my favorites -
Lt. - Good Lord, what was that!
Lnce Cpl. - Sir, that's an AK-47 assault weapon...
Profile - the preferred weapon of our enemy...
Collins - and it makes a very distinctive sound when fired at us...

Lt. - Yes, yes it does, doesn't it!
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 11:14:26 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

That was actually addressed in the movie.  It was mentioned that Eastwood's character was in the Army during Korea.  I guess this was not uncommon then.  A lot of WW2/Korea era Draftees enlisted in other services after getting out of the Army.  I have a cousin that served in the Army during WW2 and the Navy during Korea.

I actually remember enjoying this movie when I saw it in the theater (or maybe it was that I was with a hot 19 year old who was going to let me pound her in the ass when we got home Has
Oh well, I still have fond memories of Gina
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 11:20:37 AM EDT
[#28]
I was recent on the island, Vieques, where they filmed it.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 12:23:03 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm not even going to mention Eastwood spraying automatic fire into the ground 3 feet in front of the platoon.

no shit! whoever thought that was good to put in the movie needs automatic fire sprayed next to there bed in the middle of the night!
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 12:35:00 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
My dad was in this movie(Alex Bello), you can see him in the one of the first parts when clint and the platoon is in formation, my dad is the short guy with black hair that is talking to clint eastwood up front then falls back into formation. He was USMC at the time, i dunno what rank(he retired at 1stSgt a few years ago, was in 1st and 2nd Force Recon or something like that) but he gave eastwood a lot of advice on how to authentically act like a Marine and got paid a couple hundred bucks for it, still gets royalty checks from warner bros once in awhile for like 12 bucks lol.

After viewing this flick a few times, I always thought to myslef "That actor who is reporting to Highway in that first PT formation and then falls back in is the only one in the whole movie who actually looks and acts like a Marine."   He just had that look and carried himself in a military manner.

Now I know why!  
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 12:52:57 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 1:21:01 PM EDT
[#32]
The writers/producers wanted to call the movie Heartbreak Ridge, which, as the other posters have pointed out, was an Army fight, not Marines.

The original screenplay had Eastwood still in the Army for Grenada, in the 82nd Airborne Division, but the Army read the script and refused to lend the airplanes, locations, and men. Presumably, this was because the story is crap.

Luckily for the moviemakers, the Marine Corps never turns down publicity, and the story was changed to make Highway a grizzled old Marine.

It's on the AMC channel as I type this, and I think it's one of top ten worst war movies ever.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 1:29:11 PM EDT
[#33]
Since no one mentioned it, I'll tell you a story.

After the movie was made, it was pointed out to the producers that Heartbreak Ridge was an Army fight.  They had to re-film the meeting between the old Sgt. and the young guy in the bar where he "explained" how they had been in the Army, but later joined the Marines.  That scene was added after production to tie-up that loose end.

And, regarding the "fake" stuff.  It's a movie folks.

Made for entertainment.  It is full of errors, but it sure is entertaining.

Edited to add:  And the song "Sea of Heartbreak" by Don Gibson, in the opening credits, is worth watching the whole movie for.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 2:26:14 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
And, regarding the "fake" stuff.  It's a movie folks.

Made for entertainment.  It is full of errors, but it sure is entertaining.

Edited to add:  And the song "Sea of Heartbreak" by Don Gibson, in the opening credits, is worth watching the whole movie for.

+10,000

I'd much rather watch this movie over and over than some Barbara Streisand/Sean Penn/Timothy Robbins/Susan Sarandon crap.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 2:35:31 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
I always thought that movie was a parody of our armed forces and never really cared for it.

I can see that.
Although, even though the platoon starts out as total losers, in the end thanks to the gunny they become decent Marines
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 2:36:30 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

come to think of it, I don't think I'd ever heard about us invading grenada until the first time I saw this movie a couple years ago.

Then you weren't paying attention.  It's not like it wasn't the biggest news story of the year.

I certainly don't remember any news blackout.  In fact, when the SEALs drowned, it was everywhere.

How old were you?

I was born in 1979
Grenada was in the eraly 80s so I was really young
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 2:40:25 PM EDT
[#37]

Sgt. you get that contraband stogie outta my face or I'll stick it so far up your ass you'll have to set fire to your nose to light it.

Why don't I just bend you over and nail you in the keister?  I'll send you home with an "I just pumped the neighbor's cat" look on your face."

Link Posted: 8/8/2005 2:42:44 PM EDT
[#38]
AMC cut the good lines or changed them, bastards.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 3:01:10 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
AMC cut the good lines or changed them, bastards.

That's why I never watch movies on TV.

I buy a copy from half.com and have it for future use.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 3:03:58 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

+1000

Best part of the movie IMHO.  I'd rather watch 130 minutes of old B&W newsreel footage from Korea set to period music over the cheesefest of "Heartbreak Ridge".
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top