Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/2/2004 10:02:50 AM EDT
Alright people, I'm trying to look torwards the future and protect my hearing.  When target shooting this is easy, but I hunt a lot using my AR, a 12 gauge, or a 20 gauge.  What is out there that works as hearing protection without making you deaf while wearing it?  I've read good things about the ProEars but they look bulky.  Do they work well with long guns?  Are there any less expensive solutions?  I need something that will suppress a 12 gauge (seems to be the worst) blast but still let me hear deer walking through the leaves.
Thoughts?
Jim
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 10:30:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Peltor Com Tac's.
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 10:36:43 AM EDT
[#2]
I own a pair of Pro-Ears and they work fine with long arms. I've owned them 4 years. No problems. No interference with the buttstocks on my M4gery, Match HBAR, 870, FAL or M1A. Haven't used them anywhere but the range so I couldn't vouch for thier utility in hunting.

My one gripe is that they require 4 "N" type batteries. Would be nice if they used "AA" or "AAA".
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 10:54:05 AM EDT
[#3]
I use Peltor electronic muffs, myself.
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 11:09:48 AM EDT
[#4]
I definitely like the features of the Peltor.  It appears to be built to accomodate two way radios, which could be handy.

talbalos, which model do you own?  How do they handle wind?

Any input on how the Peltors handle wind?

Thanks,
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 11:15:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Peltor Com Tac's.
View Quote

I think he said LESS expensive. [:)]

Don't get me wrong, I love my ComTacs, but they're a bit of overkill for hunting.
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 11:23:48 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm looking for all options.  The Peltors are priced very close to the ProEars but I think have more features.  (there is a ProEars model with audio jack, don't remember price)
I want a pair that allows me to hear everything, but protect my ears from harmful sounds.  I think I'm probably damaging my hearing by predator calling.  I'm using a long range call and my ears ring a bit after I use it.  But, I want to be able to hear it so I know I'm making what I think is the right sound.
Thanks for the input from all, please continue!
Jim
Quoted:
Quoted:
Peltor Com Tac's.
View Quote

I think he said LESS expensive. [:)]

Don't get me wrong, I love my ComTacs, but they're a bit of overkill for hunting.
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 11:51:13 AM EDT
[#7]
The cheapest price I found on my Comtacs was $220.  I have friends who have the Peltor Tac-6s and they seem to be very happy with them.  They are about $80 less than the Comtacs.  The Comtacs do have a high noise reduction and an auto turn-off feature.

I use my Comtacs for matches, so there is a lot of shooting going on, and I need to hear what's going on around me.

If I didn't, I'd probably go for the cheaper Tac-6s.  I've never used any brand other than Peltor, so I can't comment on the others.

Link Posted: 1/2/2004 12:21:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
talbalos, which model do you own?  How do they handle wind?
View Quote

IIRC I have a pair of Sporting Clays (No markings other than brand on them). Mine have a patch of material on them to prevent damage to buttstocks. Other than the background noise of branches and leaves rustling, I can't say that I've had any problems with wind (I was at the range a couple of weeks ago when there were gusts of 10-15 mph).

BTW I make a living in video production and I can tell you about problems with microphones on windy days [:D]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top