Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/17/2002 12:41:51 PM EDT
Lets talk hearing protection for a minute.

What kind of hearing protection does everyone use, and is it doing enough for you?  I've used the foam expanding earplugs for quite some time.  The NRR on these is higher than most earmuffs - around 32 NRR.  Plus they don't get in the way of the stock the way earmuffs do.

Does anyone double up with earplugs AND earmuffs?  I ask because I can't help but wonder if all that AR15 and M1 Garand shooting could be affecting my hearing.  

I recently took a hearing exam and I had a slight dip (superficial, but enough to notice) in the DB chart for my right ear.  The Audiologist said even with hearing protection, the right ear (if your right handed) can wear faster than left because as the right side of the cheek is pressed against the stock, sound travels through the stock and through the bone/flesh of the head and into the right ear.  I can't say its really from shooting though - I've played in bands for years and listened to plenty of loud music.  Any comments?
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 12:46:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Lets talk hearing protection for a minute.
View Quote

Let's suck beer-ring election for amen?!?

[b]WHAT THE F$CK DID YOU SAY[/b]??

Link Posted: 4/17/2002 12:49:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Sometimes I double up, but lately I've just been using muffs.  I did get the custom made plugs, but now the right one hurts so I haven't been using them.  They're really good though...I recommend them if you get someone who does them right.
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 1:00:06 PM EDT
[#3]
I use the Pro Ears Pro-Slim muffs, but even then I have to double up with plugs, especially indoors.

I think the worst thing I did was stand in front of a Marshall guitar amp for 15 years. And the car stereo didn't help either. Shooting is the least of my problems.
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 1:00:28 PM EDT
[#4]
What about the low profile electronic muffs?  I've been looking at those lately, I like the idea of not having to take them off during lulls in shooting just to BS with a buddy.  

Anyone using them actively?  What do you think?
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 1:55:54 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't think you can get 32 NRR even with double plugging. The Pro Ears I use are either 21 or 23 NRR (I forget) and with ear plugs it brings it up to about 27 NRR (which you need for indoors).

Even the thick Pro Ears Magnum series are only 26 NRR.

Anyway, I really like them. They block loud noises while allowing you to hear normal speech better than with the naked ear. You can hear the guys commenting about your wife 5 tables down. he he
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 2:17:57 PM EDT
[#6]
I generally always double up with plugs and muffs.  I'll usually just use some plugs when I'm shooting .22.  A .22 rifle almost doesn't require hearing protection, but a .22 pistol can ring your bell.  I got into the habit of doubling up after shooting at an indoor range for a while.  I HATE indoor ranges because, even when I DO double up, my ears are still ringing after I leave.  

Sounds kinda logical what the doc said about your right ear...  the shock and vibrations transmit direcly through the stock to your face...  Not sure how valid it is, but it's somewhat logical.

M@
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 2:57:18 PM EDT
[#7]
I just foam ear plugs.  The plastic ones didn't protect as well as the foam, and were uncomfortable.  The Muffs also didn't protect as well.  I haven't tried doubleing up because 1) I thought the foam plugs were doing good enough and 2) I hate the clanking muffs on the stock whenever I shouldered the weapon.
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 3:15:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 5:14:45 PM EDT
[#9]
I just use my Dillon HP electronic muffs.  They work great.  The only time I use earplugs with muffs are when I shoot my AR50.

Link Posted: 4/17/2002 5:43:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 5:59:11 PM EDT
[#11]
There is a great book out there "Silencer: History and Performance".  A great book for any gun head.  The book is not only about suppressors but about hearing loss, protection, and any and all methods against hearing loss.  Before I read the book I used foam earplugs, and was very surprised to find out that they are the most effective according to there tests.  It goes into great detail at about 400 pages.  

As soon as my papers come in I will keep you updated on the effectivness of the Advanced Armament M4-2000 .223 sound suppressor.  It is rated at 34+ db noise reduction.  It should be a lot of fun! [:)]

Silencers are the ultimate hearing protection.
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 6:33:44 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I use military plugs and Silencio Magnum muffs ALWAYS.  From the age of 12 to 18 I shot at an indoor basement range every Monday night.  This began in 1971 when the importance of hearing protection was not understood.  It wasn't "cool" so I didn't.  My hearing tests at the dead bottom (in most ranges) of the normal range.  I say "Huh?" a lot, my wife makes fun of me and if there is background noise I can only hear you mumbling.  The old guys are mumbling in agreement, you young'uns better heed this warning.  Wear the best and most effective hearing protection you can find.  Hearing loss doesn't hurt as it occurs.  It is cumulative and insidious.  When you find out you have it, it is irrecoverable.  Gone forever.  Huh?  What was I talking about?  Now, the mind . . .  [:(]
View Quote
Heed what the man says. He is exactly right. I used to hunt (terrorize) rabbits in south Texas while riding on the hood of my buddys car at night on shell roads. I used a 4-5/8" barreled Ruger Blackhawk 357 with a two handed grip at 35 plus M.P.H. and it would deffinately make your ears ring.[shock]Ear protection was for sissys! ( yeah I was a teenager once upon a time) I say HUH alot now too! My buddy shot a Ruger blackhawk in 30 carbine!!! Now that was really loud!
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 6:51:50 AM EDT
[#13]
The electronic muffs do not reduce noise as well as the best regular muffs (21-22 db vs 25-29 db).  Three db represents double the noise, so the difference is 2 to 4 times the noise level.

So, yes, I DO use plugs with my electronic muffs. I up the amplification so that I hear normally with the plugs in place. I have not noticed any problem with firing rifles with the muffs in place. I do appreciate being able to hear commands on the range, and the combo is very effective at the indoor range (I always get the lane next to the doofus shooting a sawed off  20 mm cannon or something).

And if you have a new shooter you are working with, being able to hear questions is good.
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 7:30:23 AM EDT
[#14]
OK, it's established that hearing protection is good.

I use plugs or muffs outside and plugs AND muffs inside.  

I am shopping for some electronic ones and want some feedback on what you do and don't like about your particular models.

I want one that just cuts noise to the predetermined level,  not just shuts off while htere is a loud noise.  

Any likes/dislikes about particular models?

crash.
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 10:35:27 AM EDT
[#15]
I use PRO-EARS 'DIMENSION' 'PRO-MAG' (DPM). No need to double up indoors. They work great. They are not cheap but I wouldn't skimp on hearing protection. Here is the link

[url]http://www.pro-ears.com/seriesmodel.html#top[/url]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top