Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 2/22/2006 7:06:07 PM EDT
Used to be you only had to look out for the "I'm obtaining this gun for a client" scam where they send you a fake check and ask for a kickback. You lose when you send them the gun, some money (usually 20%) and the official looking certified check doesn't clear even though it fooled the bank teller.

The new scam is similar to the old one but usually involves a more sophisticated counterfiet check. And the purchase is done "in person" and the scam is basically "I live near you can I pick this up in person?" Since the scammers generally are having less success with the big internet dealers (who are catching on) they have now moved to the little guy private sellers. They basically want to do a "private sale" (they don't want to fill out 4473s or attempt background checks) and show up with a decent fake check.

They will typically be "in a hurry" and late for a meeting or something and want to do a deal like "Here's the certified check, thanks for the gun and bye." And obviously they are long gone when the fake check or MO doesn't clear. Even the guys who insist on depositing the check FIRST get nailed when the bank doesn't catch the counterfeit and the funds are put in the account. It is only when the bank discovers the check is no good (usually a day or two later) and the funds are withdrawn from your account (along with penalties) that you realize you just got beat.

These guys seem to be willing to travel and will make the trip to even small towns for a free gun.

This is one of those situations where things like a 3 day wait have actually protected a lot of dealers. Obviously private individuals won't have any safeguards like required waits. I'd strongly recommend holding ANY check or MO for 5 days to guarantee it is a good check.

In the last week 2 private sellers I know got nailed on this one, one guy for about $2k on a preban FN FAL and the other guy for about $1.8k on a fancy trap gun.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 7:07:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/22/2006 7:08:23 PM EDT by roboman]
Thanks for the heads up. I haven't sold any guns on GB, GA, or AA since the summertime. I'll be more careful though.

My usual policy is to wait a few days for any check/money order to clear for good before handing anything over.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 7:10:17 PM EDT
Who (in their right mind) doesn't require CASH on FTF deals?
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 7:10:45 PM EDT
most banks will allow you to call and verify that a casheir's check is real and for that dollar amount.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 7:18:18 PM EDT

Originally Posted By G-CODE:
Who (in their right mind) doesn't require CASH on FTF deals?

Lots of guys. Sadly many gun buyers (complainers) have conditioned sellers to accomodate PITA buyers so the don't get negative feedback.

They use pressure tactics and whine about how it's a CERTIFIED CHECK FOR GODSAKES and things like that. They also fuss about any wait time stating if they wanted to wait they could buy from a dealer. And if you suggest cash, they will of course tell you it is too dangerous for them to carry that much money, etc.

Basically they always have an excuse or or complaint as they try and badger you into doing the check for cash deal.

For example the guy who beat my buddy out of his FN went on and on about how he was paying "top dollar" etc. and was very busy and the least my buddy could do was accomodate his schedule since he was paying so much.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 7:35:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/22/2006 7:35:38 PM EDT by prebans]
Thank you for the heads-up, Steyr.

Mike
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 7:36:18 PM EDT
Put a third hole in the receiver and get their tag number.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 7:38:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/22/2006 7:58:31 PM EDT by FLAL1A]
The scam went through here (probably still going on) a couple of years ago. It's not just guns. It's anything readily convertible to cash or cash itself. Head scammer hits town picks up not-yet-emaciated dirtbags, puts them in a hotel, cleans them up, buys them a suit of clothes and a decent meal, cuts the checks (many of which are REALLY well done) and drives the snappily-dressed mooks around to the targeted business to negotiate the checks, which match up to the guys' real IDs. We had a couple of banks hit here, but for relatively small amounts (<$5K), probably to avoid getting the Secret Service interested.

ETA: A couple of banks and a walking ton of check cashing shops & small businesses where the owner-operator was willing to gamble for a big, big sale of jewelry or something equally liquid.

Just don't take checks from strangers. Greed will make you broke.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 7:49:08 PM EDT
Top Top