Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/5/2002 8:03:58 AM EDT
Am I the only one that would love to be a cop on a nasty, miserable, wet day like we are having in Savannah, and pull over every idiot without headlights or some kind of auxiliary lights on when it is pouring down rain?  Yeah, I would get wet, but I would make sure they would too.

I was following a tractor trailor down a long 2 lane road with lots of spray.  I was able to see oncoming traffic IF they had their lights on.  I started to pass and this idiot in a gray truck came out of the mist with NO lights on.  After that, I just stayed behind the truck for about 15 miles until we got to a 4 lane.

Do these idiots realize just how dangerous it is to not have their lights on?
Link Posted: 12/5/2002 8:19:56 AM EDT
[#1]
I ask the same question, man.  Anything other than a bright day with normal visibility, and my headlights are on.  

Maybe we need to call all the local radio stations and get the DJs to mention it.  "this is Rob Rock at KROK, reminding those idiots out there driving in the pouring ran without their headlights on, to TURN THEM ON!! "

I guess most people think that headlights are ONLY so you can see what is in front of you when it's dark.  They don't realize they are also quite helpful at allowing people to see them, too!  

Link Posted: 12/5/2002 8:23:23 AM EDT
[#2]
I agree, Ive almost gotten nailed when a car emerged from snow or rain without lights, stupid.
Link Posted: 12/5/2002 8:39:59 AM EDT
[#3]
While walking on a cold rainy day I nailed a girl who had her headlights on [;)]
Link Posted: 12/5/2002 8:57:40 AM EDT
[#4]
I don't bother to scrape ice off my windows.  A couple of peepholes is all I need to drive.  After about 10 minutes most of the windows are clear.

I let my little yippy breakfast dog ride in my lap.  She is much less nervous there.

My seat is usually reclined so much that other people think they are seeing a runaway car.

My car burns so much oil, that people behind me have to turn on their lights.  It usually smells like Kuwait in my car.

Garbage can?  That is what the IDOC workers are for.

Cruise control?  That is for boring people who want to drive the same speed all the time.  I'd much rather vary my speed from 60 to about 75 on the interstate.  I usually know to speed up when people are trying to pass me, or slow down when I get alongside a semi.

The more fuzzy dice, garters, Mardi-gras beads I have on my rear-view mirror, the better.  I need to be able to prove I saw all those boobs!  Unfortunately my high-school tassle got caught in my dream catcher, and the whole mirror fell off.

Playing loud music is an easy way for me to help brighten the world around me.  I also brighten the world by sporting hip bumper stickers.

I have better reaction time than most due to me playing so many video games as a kid.  Don't worry if I tailgate you, I won't hit you.

My pet peeve is when people ride my ass.  I usually hit the brakes when they do.  I don't worry, the'll have to fix my car.

With drivers like me around, people like you can rest easy.
Link Posted: 12/5/2002 9:05:05 AM EDT
[#5]
This is something that definitely really pisses me off. If visibility is even slightly less than perfect headlights should be on.
Link Posted: 12/5/2002 9:05:18 AM EDT
[#6]
I can go either way. If visibility is bad enough I turn my headlights on. If other people don't, it really doesn't bother me.

But, while on the subject... they should hang whomever in the DOT that approved the sale and use of those damn super blue/white headlights.
You know, the type that are like staring into an arc welder.

[b]Maybe[/b] they're fine way out in the boonies, but there's no need for them in the city or interstate.

(and no, before anyone posts it... there's no analogy bewteen that and having a need for certain firearms) [:)]
Link Posted: 12/5/2002 9:20:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
those damn super blue/white headlights.
View Quote

You know, we've had the same discussion back in Germany in the 1970s, when everybody but the US and a few third world countries went from Bilux to H4 lights.

You'll get used to it.
Link Posted: 12/5/2002 9:36:09 AM EDT
[#8]
actually those blue lights are a lot easier on the eyes than the regular ones. we just need to get used to it. i remember reading an independent study about that fact when they came out. dont ask me to find a link, i dont know where to start.

what really irritates the fuck out of me is when people drive with parking lights on. [b]WHAT THE FUCK??[/b] are they trying to conserve electricity? turn that switch another notch asshole!!  i asked a guy who was behind me that drove into the same gas station why he did this and not turn his lights completely on.   his response: "There's still light enough that I can still see."  so i asked him why bother turn his parking ights on then.  response: "So the other drivers can see me."  [B]THEN TURN YOUR FUCKING HEADLIGHTS ON NUMBNUTS!!![/B]  i didnt say that but i wish i did now in retrospect.
Link Posted: 12/5/2002 9:52:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I can go either way. If visibility is bad enough I turn my headlights on. If other people don't, it really doesn't bother me.
View Quote
It will bother you the first you pull out in front of one the jerks or start to pass and realize someone is coming throught the mist or the dusk with no lights on.
Link Posted: 12/5/2002 11:42:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote
It will bother you the first you pull out in front of one the jerks or start to pass and realize someone is coming throught the mist or the dusk with no lights on.
View Quote

Then either I'm just lucky or most drivers here do turn on their lights as in 25 years of driving I haven't had any near misses due to no headlights on. Then again, 90% of my driving is in the city/populated areas, busy highways or well lit areas.

I have had a number of close calls because of drivers not taking into account road or weather conditions.
Link Posted: 12/5/2002 1:46:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Maybe we could get a law like Iceland has where you have to have your headlights on whenever your driving regardless of weather.
Link Posted: 12/5/2002 2:21:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Maybe we could get a law like Iceland has where you have to have your headlights on whenever your driving regardless of weather.
View Quote

Don't we have enough laws?

I agree that people who don't turn on their lights in poor visibility suck. I have never been bothered by near head-on collisions due to lack of lights in low visibility because I have never TRIED TO PASS IN LOW VISIBILITY.
Link Posted: 12/5/2002 2:24:20 PM EDT
[#13]
In Connecticut the law is if you are running
wipers you have to run headlights . Of course
half the numnuts still run no lights or parking
lights.
 THE AVERAGE PERSON IS NOT VERY SMART AND HALF
OF ALL PEOPLE ARE DUMBER THAN AVERAGE !
Link Posted: 12/5/2002 2:34:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Don't we have enough laws?

I agree that people who don't turn on their lights in poor visibility suck. I have never been bothered by near head-on collisions due to lack of lights in low visibility because I have never TRIED TO PASS IN LOW VISIBILITY.
View Quote
Don't drive much, do you?  You've never tried it when a tractor trailer is doing 30 in a 55?
Link Posted: 12/5/2002 2:43:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I
But, while on the subject... they should hang whomever in the DOT that approved the sale and use of those damn super blue/white headlights.
You know, the type that are like staring into an arc welder.

[b]Maybe[/b] they're fine way out in the boonies, but there's no need for them in the city or interstate.

View Quote

Goddamn right. I drive out in the boonies, and I'm blinded all the time by them.

I'd also like to hang everybody that feels the need at dusk in the boonies to turn their high beams on and leave them on.

One night last winter, Cold clear night, full moon, snow in the fields. It was like daytime, you could've driven with your lights off no problem. Yet 75% of the fuckers going the other way had their highs on, and didn't turn them off when going past me.

Made me wish I had a .50 BMG or 25mm on my car.
Link Posted: 12/5/2002 2:48:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
what really irritates the fuck out of me is when people drive with parking lights on. [b]WHAT THE FUCK??[/b] are they trying to conserve electricity? turn that switch another notch asshole!!  i asked a guy who was behind me that drove into the same gas station why he did this and not turn his lights completely on.   his response: "There's still light enough that I can still see."  so i asked him why bother turn his parking ights on then.  response: "So the other drivers can see me."  [B]THEN TURN YOUR FUCKING HEADLIGHTS ON NUMBNUTS!!![/B]  i didnt say that but i wish i did now in retrospect.
View Quote

Yup. That about sums it up for me!!
Link Posted: 12/5/2002 2:53:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

All of Scandinavia has had that for years.  Sweden's been like that for decades.

The cars are set from the factory so that your headlight come on whenever the engine is running.  That way it is impossible to "forget" when it starts raining or when it gets dark.  I've set my Volvo to work that way.

I do not have the slightest comprehension of why anyone would be opposed to this?  
Link Posted: 12/5/2002 2:56:15 PM EDT
[#18]
I've been that cop.

If I am about to pass someone with no lights on, and there is low, or no visibility, I turn my headlights off for a moment, and turn them back on.

We all know this as the universal sign for "turn your headlights on".

If I don't see the headlights or tail lights come on within about 6 seconds (if I've passed by them), I turn around and introduce them to their headlight switch.

Never cited anyone, but I will if their low visibility / no lights driving causes an accident.  

Jay  
Link Posted: 12/5/2002 3:01:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I'd also like to hang everybody that feels the need at dusk in the boonies to turn their high beams on and leave them on.

One night last winter, Cold clear night, full moon, snow in the fields. It was like daytime, you could've driven with your lights off no problem. Yet 75% of the fuckers going the other way had their highs on, and didn't turn them off when going past me.

View Quote

Years ago I remember reading an interview with the Nuge... he wasn't thrilled about people not flicking down their high-beams either.

His solution; he had a 4x4 with a roll bar and all the trimmings, including about a gazillion candle powers worth of spotlights and flood lamps. Anytime some clown in an oncoming car didn't dim his lights, ol Uncle Ted would zap them.
Link Posted: 12/5/2002 3:01:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Have you boys ever heard of a white out? Now that is low (no) visibility! Had a bunch this year already. so far here, on the mountain, 84" snow.
Link Posted: 12/5/2002 3:18:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
wipers you have to run headlights.
View Quote

I don't use the wipers.
Link Posted: 12/5/2002 3:32:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
wipers you have to run headlights.
View Quote

I don't use the wipers.
View Quote
Rain-X?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top