Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
1/25/2018 7:38:29 AM
Posted: 6/29/2002 4:36:58 PM EST
The Washington Post Saturday, June 29, 2002; Page A23 He Should Have Been in Jail By Colbert I. King http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A64230-2002Jun28.html The name Mikea Rahul Washington may not ring a bell. Maybe it's because Mikea wasn't with us very long. In fact, Mikea's time was so short he never learned to spell his own name or count to 10 or do any of the fun things little boys and girls usually enjoy. You see, 'round about this time two weeks ago in a rowhouse in Northwest Washington, a knife-wielding assailant nearly took Mikea's head off. Mikea did absolutely nothing to bring on his own murder. He couldn't stop it, either. For goodness sake, Mikea was only 18 months old. He didn't die alone. Simona Druyard, an 80-year-old woman who owned the house in the 1400 block of Spring Road NW, also went to glory with him, as a result of her throat being slashed by the same person. Mikea's father, Amin Washington, got his throat cut, too, but he lived to tell the cops about it. Published reports say authorities attribute the mayhem to a dispute over a planned restaurant venture between Mikea's father and the alleged slayer, Allen Logan, 31, of Northeast Washington. With all due respect, D.C. cops may wish to probe into that tale a little deeper. Word on the street is that the late Ms. Druyard never wanted Logan and his "mess" around her home -- and she didn't have a restaurant in mind. But that's not why we're revisiting a double homicide that has all but disappeared from the screen. It's Topic A today because a little poking around has raised the possibility that toddler Mikea and octogenarian Simona Druyard might still be around to celebrate the Fourth of July had responsible parties along the criminal justice food chain lived up to their job descriptions. Truth be known, Allen Logan's bad side didn't make its debut just two weeks ago. By all accounts, he's a mean sucker who should have been taken off the streets a long time ago. Just ask Hope Carlisle and her former boyfriend, Gregory Dawson. This from papers filed in Superior Court by the U.S. attorney in 1999: Carlisle and Dawson were asleep in Mr. Dawson's apartment in April 1998 when Dawson heard banging on the front door. It was Logan. He was swearing and carrying on about the romantic relationship that Ms. Carlisle had ended five months earlier. Dawson saw Logan walk away from the apartment building, but minutes later he heard a commotion outside. Dawson's 1990 Mazda Miata was in flames. A federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms agent determined that the fire was deliberately set. Three days later, Logan called Dawson at his job and told him to "stop hanging around" with Carlisle. Said Logan, "I'm playing for keeps, whether I'm locked up or not. . . . I don't care. . . . What do I have to do to get you to stop messing with her?" Logan also said, "I've burned your car. . . . What more does it take? Do I have to kill you? I was gonna come up in your apartment and shoot both of you." Logan, according to the same court papers, has been acting out for a while. In March 1996, he broke the front and back passenger-side windows of Carlisle's car. He broke several windows in her apartment in early April 1998. In the same month, Logan carved the word "Next" into Dawson's front door, prosecutors said.
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 4:37:53 PM EST
Incidentally, at the time he was torching Dawson's car, Logan was also on bail, having pleaded guilty in 1997 to assault and making threats against his live-in girlfriend, whom he had threatened with a gun. The car burning got Logan arrested, indicted and convicted on a felony destruction of property charge. He faced a 20- to 60-month jail sentence -- which, if imposed, might have kept him and his knife away from the 1400 block of Spring Road two Fridays ago. Unfortunately for Mikea and Druyard, Logan -- parole violator, domestic violence offender and arsonist -- as a result of a plea bargain, spent only three months in jail and was given five years' probation by D.C. Superior Court Judge Robert E. Morin. Logan also had violated the Bail Reform Act, but Judge Morin also gave and suspended a 90-day sentence for that. Logan promptly showed his appreciation by violating terms of his probation. He never contacted his probation officer. Enter another criminal justice actor: the federal Court Services and Offender Supervision Agency, which handles the city's probation system. Although Logan violated probation in September 1999, the offender supervision agency didn't notify Judge Morin until August 2000. Why the nearly one-year delay? "We are conducting an investigation into that," Cedric Hendricks, the agency's acting associate director for legislative, intergovernmental and public affairs said this week. Asked what happened in the meantime to catch up with probationer Logan, Hendricks said, "We sent letters to the home and called the phone number listed for him." Have mercy. Judge Morin wasn't exactly a ball of fire, either. Notified of the probation violation in August, Morin set a "show cause" hearing for October 2000 so Logan would have a chance to explain why jail shouldn't be in his future. Logan, however, was a no-show for that date, too. So Morin issued a bench warrant. Now enter a third actor: the U.S. Marshals Service. The bench warrant was issued in October 2000. Marshals didn't find him until February 2002. Where was Logan all that time? Please note: Between Logan's violation of probation in September 1999 and his apprehension 2 1/2 years later, a man bearing his name and sharing his race and date of birth was in Norfolk, doing such unpleasant things as committing larceny, assault and battery, and other misdemeanors, according to Virginia court records. That Allen Logan also didn't keep court dates. He was branded a fugitive, too. Note to judge, probation supervisors and U.S. marshals: Could it be the same person?
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 4:38:37 PM EST
Here's what's not in dispute: The toddler and senior citizen who had their air passages severed on June 14 might be alive today if: • Logan had been given a good stiff sentence instead of probation in 1999; • The Court Services and Offender Supervision Agency had not dilly-dallied for nearly a year before notifying the judge about Logan's probation violation; • The U.S. Marshals Service had not taken 2 1/2 years to find and put him in jail. What next? If experience with the District's civic leadership is any guide, absolutely nothing. No one is going to raise a stink. The politicians are preoccupied with photo-ops, their own reelections and bringing the Olympics to Washington. Criminal justice system actors are waiting for payday to roll around. And before the week is out, there's a good bet some friend of the court will find a way to remind me in the most condescending tones, that I am unschooled in the law, the majesty of judicial decision-making and the way the system works -- and that I should mind my own business. After all, little Mikea and old Ms. Druyard -- nobodies to downtown Washington's powers-that-be -- are now history. e-mail: kingc@washpost.com
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 5:31:53 PM EST
This makes me sad, as well, Friz.
Top Top