Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/18/2016 10:43:50 AM EDT
I've got an '11 Grand Cherokee that was acting up this morning.  On my way into work, it suddenly stopped accelerating and my motor started revving up as if I threw it in neutral.  I basically coasted to a stop and sat there with a revving engine while in drive.  

I don't remember if it went back into gear on its own or if I took it out of and put it back into drive, but it started "working".  By working, I mean it seemed like it was stuck in 2nd or 3rd gear the whole way to work.  The acceleration from stop was terrible, I could floor it while driving at speed and it wouldn't downshift, and it didn't seem to ever upshift either.

I drove it straight to the dealership (20ish miles in 35ish minutes) and shut it off to go inside.  Then I thought I should try reverse to see if it had the same problem.  So I started it up again and everything worked fine - drive, reverse, etc.  So I continued on to work with the intention of stopping by the dealership at lunch.

I've got about 9K left on the powertrain warranty.  I'm worried that it might be cold weather related.  It's going to start warming up today and I'm worried we won't get another cold patch until next winter when my warranty is out.

Anyone have similar issues with their Jeeps, or any mechanics out there see similar issues?  Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 10:53:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I've got an '11 Grand Cherokee that was acting up this morning.  On my way into work, it suddenly stopped accelerating and my motor started revving up as if I threw it in neutral.  I basically coasted to a stop and sat there with a revving engine while in drive.  

I don't remember if it went back into gear on its own or if I took it out of and put it back into drive, but it started "working".  By working, I mean it seemed like it was stuck in 2nd or 3rd gear the whole way to work.  The acceleration from stop was terrible, I could floor it while driving at speed and it wouldn't downshift, and it didn't seem to ever upshift either.

I drove it straight to the dealership (20ish miles in 35ish minutes) and shut it off to go inside.  Then I thought I should try reverse to see if it had the same problem.  So I started it up again and everything worked fine - drive, reverse, etc.  So I continued on to work with the intention of stopping by the dealership at lunch.

I've got about 9K left on the powertrain warranty.  I'm worried that it might be cold weather related.  It's going to start warming up today and I'm worried we won't get another cold patch until next winter when my warranty is out.

Anyone have similar issues with their Jeeps, or any mechanics out there see similar issues?  Thanks in advance.
View Quote

I've had transmission issues with Jeeps in the past and it was always something electronic rather than mechanical. How many miles does your Jeep have on it? Just make sure the dealership documents the fact that it happened. At least you will have some recourse if it happens again, perhaps after the warranty ends?
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 10:55:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I've had transmission issues with Jeeps in the past and it was always something electronic rather than mechanical. How many miles does your Jeep have on it? Just make sure the dealership documents the fact that it happened. At least you will have some recourse if it happens again, perhaps after the warranty ends?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's got about 91K miles.  CPO (powertrain) warranty is good to 100K.
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 12:03:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Keep on it and go straight to the dealership every time it happens. And make sure that they note the ongoing problem in your service records. Sooner or later they will find the problem.
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 1:52:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Scheduled to drop it off at the dealer Monday.  I'm sure I will end up paying a diagnostic fee for them to come back and say they couldn't find anything wrong.  Hopefully it was a one-time occurrence.  It probably isn't though, considering my history with Jeeps & the Big 3 in general.
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 3:29:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Did any warning lights illuminate on your dash when it happened?
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 5:51:30 PM EDT
[#6]
There's a transmission recall involving 2005-2011 Grand Cherokees.  The circuit boards may transmit compromised signals that could enable inadvertent shifts to neutral.  I think the fix is a simple software reprogram.
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 5:58:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Did any warning lights illuminate on your dash when it happened?
View Quote

No lights.  I looked.  It just seemed to go into neutral for awhile and then finally went into 3rd or 4th and stayed there until I got to the dealership about 30 minutes later when I turned it off and back on.
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 5:59:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
There's a transmission recall involving 2005-2011 Grand Cherokees.  The circuit boards may transmit compromised signals that could enable inadvertent shifts to neutral.  I think the fix is a simple software reprogram.
View Quote

Thanks.  I'll look into that.  Strange that I haven't gotten any notices from Chrysler about it.  I get them every few months about a new safety recall...
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 6:19:03 PM EDT
[#9]
The recall is actually from 2013, here's a link to some info:
http://www.trucktrend.com/news/163-news130513-jeep-grand-cherokee-and-ram-recall/
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 6:20:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Is trading it an option?
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 12:14:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Is trading it an option?
View Quote

I would prefer not to at this point.  I really like the Jeep when it works.  The frequent safety recalls are annoying but I'm hoping the most recent one will be the last.  I'm under no illusion that Jeep reliability is questionable.  I just really like them.  I was really hoping they'd turn things around with the WK2.  Apparently they have not.  Maybe it's time to shop around...  

Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on your POV), I'm currently saving up for what I hope will be a better investment than a new Jeep - an engagement ring...

It's at the dealership today.  We'll see what they say.  My money is on "didn't find anything, here is our overpriced diagnostic fee".
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top