Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/24/2005 7:04:44 AM EDT
I am always in need of extra help.  I usually do labor type contracting in construction, but also some farm work and mechanical repairs.

Pay is good, but hours are long (longest day recently was 20 hours, shortest 10).  Very hard physical work, but not 100% of the time.

Unlimited work available due to extensive networking now in place.  Can help find cheap housing if needed.  Investment opportunities even crop up from time to time (again due to extensive network).

Access to good hunting and shooting, bagged 2 deer first weekend of bow season. Got limit opening day of dove season.  Job is definately NOT PC.  We smoke, chew, dip, and oogle women.

It seems the only folks willing to work are illegal aliens, and they will not be on a job site I am working.

Where would you look for people who want to work?  Newspaper doesn't get it, and tried some local churches, no go there either.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 7:14:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Might have to settle for the mexicans.  Americans don't like to work hard like that.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 7:21:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Very hard physical work

Most people avoid any kind of work; much less accept any thing physical.  
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 7:21:54 AM EDT
[#3]
First thing that comes to mind is, are you paying good wages?  I've found the wages payed are directly related to the type of person you get.  Pay little, don't expect a lot.l
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 7:26:00 AM EDT
[#4]
As far as your construction jobs go, are you looking for people to haul trash, clean up, deliver material?

Or skilled labor - electricians, plumbers, etc?

And no, I'm not looking for work.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 7:28:51 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
First thing that comes to mind is, are you paying good wages?  I've found the wages payed are directly related to the type of person you get.  Pay little, don't expect a lot.l

Our crew is locally known for being the highest paid for what we do.  Lots of bitching about our bids, but never a complaint from a job we finish.  We are the best at what we do (locally) and charge and pay accordingly.

It is definately blue collar, though. Hot, dirty, and back breaking at times.

Link Posted: 9/24/2005 7:31:02 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
As far as your construction jobs go, are you looking for people to haul trash, clean up, deliver material?

Actually, we do all that and then some.  Sometimes run fence, bale and barn hay, dig ditches, etc.

Basically try to be the "goto" guys to geterdone.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 7:33:29 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually, we do all that and then some.  Sometimes run fence, bale and barn hay, dig ditches, etc.

Basically try to be the "goto" guys to geterdone.

OK, thanks.

I was just curious.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 7:43:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Go talk to some of the local (male) teachers in the shop, agriculture, and vocational depts of the high schools.  Often they know of some help that is willing to work hard.

At least they do around here.  Farmer tells ag teacher we're getting up hay on Saturday and the teacher usually has a few favorites or ones he knows that grew up on farms, work, etc that can help out.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top