Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/8/2005 8:09:48 AM EDT

They left my baby to die!

Mom rages at friends who fled after daughter was wounded

BY NICOLE BODE, BILL EGBERT and TONY SCLAFANI
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITERS

Mom Wakeema Golden wipes eye outside hospital where daughter Brenda Fields, 11, clings to life after being shot, then abandoned by friends.  

An 11-year-old girl shot in the eye by a 10-year-old playmate in a family friend's Brooklyn apartment was left alone to die, her angry mother charged yesterday.

"They ran and they left her," Wakeema Golden, 27, said outside Brookdale University Hospital, where her daughter Brenda Fields was in critical condition on a respirator with four fragments of a shattered bullet buried in her brain.

"They found my daughter slumped against the wall, saying 'Help me! Help me!' She was alone.

"They left her basically to die."

Golden said her friends, sisters Annette and Patricia Craddock, deserted her child in their Brownsville home after the Saturday shooting and didn't tell her about it - even though she was just across the street at a laundermat.

"I'm so angry and so bitter with them," raged Golden, of the Bronx, who is seven months pregnant. "I want them to be locked up. I want them to suffer the way my daughter is suffering."

Mayor Bloomberg, who has called for a nationwide crackdown on guns, pleaded after the shooting for parents to rid their homes of weapons.

"Having guns at home is just - particularly when you have children - is an outrage," he said.

Police charged Annette Craddock's 10-year-old son Marcus with assault after an innocent game of hide-and-seek among nearly 10 kids led him to the gun, cops and relatives said.

"He was going 'bang, bang' at all the kids in the room," one boy later told his mom, who lives on the same floor in the Pacific St. apartment building. "He shot once and nothing happened. He shot twice and nothing. The third time, the bullet came out."

Marcus allegedly waved the gun, scaring Brenda into yelling, "Get that gun out of my face!" according to her mom.

They were her last words before the sixth-grader was shot through her left eye at 6:25 p.m.

The gunfire sent those inside pouring out, including a teary-eyed Marcus, who ran down the street before police grabbed him.

"I'm sorry. I didn't want to hurt her," he told cops, sources said.

After all the adults and children rushed out of the apartment, neighbor Brenda McRae, 43, went in and dialed 911 when she saw the wounded girl.

Golden said she had brought her boyfriend and four of her kids to the fourth-floor apartment for a weekend visit that included a Friday-night cookout.

"I blame the mother of the boy, Annette. I believe she knew the gun was in that house," Golden said. "Had I known, I would not have left my kids there."

Police were looking for the gun and for one of Marcus' older brothers, who is the suspected owner.

They found a gun not believed to have been used in the shooting on the roof of the building.

Marcus was being held pending a hearing in Brooklyn Family Court today. If convicted, he faces up to 18 months in a juvenile facility.

With Lisa L. Colangelo

Link Posted: 8/8/2005 8:11:49 AM EDT
[#1]

Link Posted: 8/8/2005 8:12:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 8:12:59 AM EDT
[#3]

"I don't know why people carry guns. Guns kill people."
~ Michael Bloomberg,
Mayor of New York City, 7/23/2003.

Link Posted: 8/8/2005 8:13:28 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

"Having guns at home is just - particularly when you have children - is an outrage," he said.

Link Posted: 8/8/2005 8:14:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Man, Bloomberg would be in one helluva tizzy if he found out how many Afrcommers not only have guns in the house with small children in the house too, but actually teach them how to use it properly, and even give a small .22 or such to their children.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 8:15:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Stupid little ignorant M$%&%#&$*s.

My kid's will be raised around guns. They will never do some dumb@$$ $hit like that.
When you take a kid who has never been around them, and always told NO NO NO, when he finds one, what do you expect him to do?
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 8:16:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Its a sad story about "urban culture", being manipulated by by a a grandstanding politician.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 8:17:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Blame the gun not the parent. TYpical liberals.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 8:17:59 AM EDT
[#9]

I'll start waiting for the NYPD to order all officers with kids to turn in their weapons at the end of shift.

This could take a while.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 8:18:35 AM EDT
[#10]

This lady is 27 with an 11 year old, Hmmmmm the bad decisions didn't just magically appear
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 8:20:42 AM EDT
[#11]
sad, if you have a gun at home and kids, guess the kids gotta go !
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 8:23:51 AM EDT
[#12]

I would never have done anything like that when I was a kid.

ONE REASON: My parents took me with them shooting and taught me about guns and safty. Hiding them from the fact is not the answer
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 8:25:53 AM EDT
[#13]
I can leave a fully loaded .357 laying on the table and will be 1000% positive nothign will happen in my house with my children.

If they had friends over then I would make sure it was impossible for them to get to.

Liberalism is a disease for sure.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 8:27:31 AM EDT
[#14]
Hey Bloomberg!  Whaddya think of this?

A child with an EVIL ASSAULT WEAPON!  Then we went and ate GREASY FRIED FOODS.  And we drove to the restaurant in a GAS GUZZLING SUV.

Bite me, ya liberal bastard.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 8:27:59 AM EDT
[#15]
This is what happens when mom/dad just through the gun in the closet and say to the kid
“keep your hands off”  
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 8:31:33 AM EDT
[#16]

Mayor Bloomberg, who has called for a nationwide crackdown on guns, pleaded after the shooting for parents to rid their homes of weapons.

"Having guns a swimming pool at home is just - particularly when you have children - is an outrage," he said.

After all, its statistically more dangerous.  
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 8:32:44 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

www.kdraut.com/images/daewoo.jpg

A child with an EVIL ASSAULT WEAPON!  Then we went and ate GREASY FRIED FOODS.  And we drove to the restaurant in a GAS GUZZLING SUV.

Link Posted: 8/8/2005 8:34:26 AM EDT
[#18]
But it's for the children. Now give me your guns.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 8:37:19 AM EDT
[#19]
Aren't handguns illegal in Brooklyn? I feel sorry for the little girl.

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 8:41:15 AM EDT
[#20]

Me and my friends 3 kids on their first range trip.

And my kids know how to shoot as well.

Hey, Bloomberg!  
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 8:44:42 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Aren't handguns illegal in Brooklyn? I feel sorry for the little girl.

ByteTheBullet  (-:

Correct. Make it illegal criminal possesion of a handgun. Fucking liberals. Further, yet tragic proof that outlawing guns does nothing to prevent violence. Poor child.  

Where was the adult supervision?

HS1
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 8:51:10 AM EDT
[#22]
One word:

Wakeema

Sheesshhhh!

Next thing you know, she'll be threatening to blow up courthouses.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 8:54:06 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

www.kdraut.com/images/daewoo.jpg

I think that guns needs a collapsible stock - poor kid can't get up close enough to use the scope.

Otherwise, looks like a GREAT DAD & SON Day to me.  
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 9:02:25 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 9:12:20 AM EDT
[#25]
Sounds like Bloomberg is a super a$$hole....

Isn't he supposed to be a republican...if he is he is like Pataki...a RINO a$$hole...
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 9:18:19 AM EDT
[#26]
Prick, Yesterday my 8 year old daughter was nailing bulls eyes with a Henry .22, and my 13 year old son was blazing away on my MP5 He shoots that gun better than most who carry that firearm professionally!
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 9:25:55 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

They left my baby to die!

Mom rages at friends who fled after daughter was wounded

BY NICOLE BODE, BILL EGBERT and TONY SCLAFANI
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITERS

Mom Wakeema Golden wipes eye outside hospital where daughter Brenda Fields, 11, clings to life after being shot, then abandoned by friends.  

An 11-year-old girl shot in the eye by a 10-year-old playmate in a family friend's Brooklyn apartment was left alone to die, her angry mother charged yesterday.

"They ran and they left her," Wakeema Golden, 27, said outside Brookdale University Hospital, where her daughter Brenda Fields was in critical condition on a respirator with four fragments of a shattered bullet buried in her brain.

"They found my daughter slumped against the wall, saying 'Help me! Help me!' She was alone.

"They left her basically to die."

Golden said her friends, sisters Annette and Patricia Craddock, deserted her child in their Brownsville home after the Saturday shooting and didn't tell her about it - even though she was just across the street at a laundermat.

"I'm so angry and so bitter with them," raged Golden, of the Bronx, who is seven months pregnant. "I want them to be locked up. I want them to suffer the way my daughter is suffering."

Police charged Annette Craddock's 10-year-old son Marcus with assault after an innocent game of hide-and-seek among nearly 10 kids led him to the gun, cops and relatives said.

"He was going 'bang, bang' at all the kids in the room," one boy later told his mom, who lives on the same floor in the Pacific St. apartment building. "He shot once and nothing happened. He shot twice and nothing. The third time, the bullet came out."

Marcus allegedly waved the gun, scaring Brenda into yelling, "Get that gun out of my face!" according to her mom.

They were her last words before the sixth-grader was shot through her left eye at 6:25 p.m.

The gunfire sent those inside pouring out, including a teary-eyed Marcus, who ran down the street before police grabbed him.

"I'm sorry. I didn't want to hurt her," he told cops, sources said.

After all the adults and children rushed out of the apartment, neighbor Brenda McRae, 43, went in and dialed 911 when she saw the wounded girl.

Golden said she had brought her boyfriend and four of her kids to the fourth-floor apartment for a weekend visit that included a Friday-night cookout.

"I blame the mother of the boy, Annette. I believe she knew the gun was in that house," Golden said. "Had I known, I would not have left my kids there."

Police were looking for the gun and for one of Marcus' older brothers, who is the suspected owner.

They found a gun not believed to have been used in the shooting on the roof of the building.

Marcus was being held pending a hearing in Brooklyn Family Court today. If convicted, he faces up to 18 months in a juvenile facility.

With Lisa L. Colangelo

So some ghetto cruising, well  fare recepient who had her kid at age 16, leaves a gun un-locked and easily accessable by young children, still blames everyone but herself.  Do it for the children and shoot mom in her eye, so she'll learn her lesson.  

Having guns in the same house as children is perfecrly safe as long you keep them out of reach.  Not to mention teaching your lil'ones some discipline.  My dad was a cop for 20 years and I never thought to play with his gun, cuz he taught us they were not toys and to be respected.  

Very shameful,  
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 9:26:13 AM EDT
[#28]
Stupidity should hurt...

I hav eguns, at any tiem while I am home several are loaded (my son is not even three days old yet, I doubt he can get to one yet, but I am still cautiously optimistic that he will loe them like daddy)

Whenever we have family, ro any children over every single firearms is unloaded for the duration, and locked up good and solid beyond the provisions asked for in the law (Except 1 1911 cocked and locked on my hip, in case the local meth heads try something)

Children should never be around firearms unsupervised, and parents should know enough to know if your kids find soemthign "interesting" hell, I remember my parents knowing the instant I foudn soemthing, apparently kids just act different, every kid I know does

ah well, I am sure if they make handguns illegal in NYC this will never happen again......
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 9:36:45 AM EDT
[#29]
I'm starting to agree that the people in the article probably shouldn't have guns....or kids....or jobs....or anything else that requires the bare minimum acceptable stadards of responsibility.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 9:44:13 AM EDT
[#30]
Bloomberg isn't really a Republican. It was just an easy way for him to get on the ballot in NYC, where Republican party membership is essentially nil. There was a long, hardfought battle for the Democratic primary. Bloomberg is a lifelong Democrat, but picked the Repblican primary because it had an easier path to the general election.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 9:48:43 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

I'll start waiting for the NYPD to order all officers with kids to turn in their weapons at the end of shift.
This could take a while.

There are anti-gun politicians on th NYC Council that are in favor of limiting firearms for on-duty use only for  police officers. There are jurisdictions in the U.S. where this is already in effect.

New York City - Where even the Republicans are Liberal Democrats. Bloomberg is a nut job. He has already spent in excess of $50 million dollars of his own money to get elected Mayor of NYC.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 10:01:39 AM EDT
[#32]
This could not possibly happen in NYC because handguns are illegal there.   NY and NYC have excellent gun control laws.  

Kids playing with guns.

27 year old Pregnant woman with her boyfriend.  Has 4 children, one 11 y/o.  Then 10 kids playing in the apartment and somehow one is playing with a real gun.    

Damn, pretty pathetic all the way around.      
God help us all.  
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 10:10:28 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
I'm starting to agree that the people in the article probably shouldn't have guns....or kids....or jobs....or anything else that requires the bare minimum acceptable stadards of responsibility.

1+  Yes - for sure.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 10:11:18 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 10:20:35 AM EDT
[#35]
PHOTOKIRK- edit that post and add some details on that EBR. Discriminating minds want to know.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 10:22:16 AM EDT
[#36]
+ 1 to the suggestion that Mayor Bloomberg stop the NYPD officers from taking their service weapons home.

Ever.

Wouldn't want public employees to be doing anything to cause an outrage, would we?
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 10:35:53 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
PHOTOKIRK- edit that post and add some details on that EBR. Discriminating minds want to know.

Looks like a Daewoo K1 or K2 to me.

Kharn
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 10:59:56 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

That's a Daewoo DR200 with an ASA scope rail and Tasco 3x9x30 scope.  It shoots really well and the gas system has been able to handle every kind of crappy ammo I've fed it.  It even feeds fine from my 120 round drum.

ACE Stocks makes a folder for it, but I haven't gotten around to ordering one.  
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 2:32:10 PM EDT
[#39]
Hey Photokirk, you need to post up in the Texas forum when you head out to Hot Wells to shoot.  

I live like 5 minutes from there now :D

ON Topic:  I think in this case the Mother of the child left her daughter in the care of someone else, adn the child of that woman found the gun.

The 2 problems here are the carelessness of leaving that weapon accessible to the child, and the lack of education in gun safety leading the child to fire the weapon.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 2:39:21 PM EDT
[#40]
Fuck bloomberg...him being elected as a republican is a fucking travesty.
He cant possibly win an election......he has no base.

Republicans hate the guy, and democrats arent going to vote for someone running as a republican.

The guy is seriously mentally ill.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top