Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/12/2005 6:23:29 AM EDT
What is the penalty for being in possession of a firearm in DC?
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 6:28:17 AM EDT
[#1]
A new boyfriend.

Kharn
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 6:29:50 AM EDT
[#2]
I think you might want to explore the option of not being taken alive.  
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 6:31:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Shit, your ass will get put in the slammer for having a cartridge in your car, much less a GUN!
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 6:32:22 AM EDT
[#4]
I thought you meant the OTHER piece.  I personally can attest that a piece from DC can be kinky as hell.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 6:35:52 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I think you might want to explore the option of not being taken alive.  

+1
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 6:40:42 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
A new boyfriend.

Kharn

I think you mean being someone's new girlfriend.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 6:44:19 AM EDT
[#7]
You guys are alot of help.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 6:54:00 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Actually they have been quite helpful.  Listen to Kharn.

Firearm in DC are very very heavily frowned upon on the civilian side, and considering a bunch of DC falls under federal LEO juristicition - you DON'T want to be messing with those boys.  The feds can be tolorant of pepper spray (also banned in DC), but a gun will get you time in a pokey and a record.

The exact penelty will depend on who's jurdisticion you were caught in. DC Police, Park Police, Capitol Police etc.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 6:57:08 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Firearm in DC are very very heavily frowned upon on the civilian side, and considering a bunch of DC falls under federal LEO juristicition - you DON'T want to be messing with those boys.  The feds can be tolorant of pepper spray (also banned in DC), but a gun will get you time in a pokey and a record.

The exact penelty will depend on who's jurdisticion you were caught in. DC Police, Park Police, Capitol Police etc.

A single live round in your possession is viewed the same as carrying a gun in DC.

www.packing.org/state/washington_dc/

Link Posted: 10/12/2005 7:01:31 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Shit, your ass will get put in the slammer for having a cartridge in your car, much less a GUN!

What can they really do to you? The law banning handguns and requiring that all handguns be registered is just a city ordanance. It's not like it would be a violation of federal law. What's the penalty, a $500 fine?
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 7:03:19 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

But possessing a gun in DC is not a federal offence. It is a violation of a city ordanance.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 7:05:49 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

But possessing a gun in DC is not a federal offence. It is a violation of a city ordanance.

If your on Feddle property and you get caught, expect to be charged as a terrorist.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 7:06:40 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Possesion of a gun on FEDERAL property IS a Federal offense, and depending on where in DC you are you could very well be on federal property and not realize it.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 7:08:00 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

If your on Feddle property and you get caught, expect to be charged as a terrorist.

I don't want to take a gun into the capital building. I may have to go there for a business trip and I'd like to have one with me. At a bare minimum to keep in my hotel room.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 7:12:28 AM EDT
[#15]
Look....Motown,  I know this will be hard to swallow but if you take a pistola in DC you will be swallowing something else.  It's  Washington's District of Columbia it has little or no crime except maybe the killings and such like the famouse mayor said a while back.

There are plenty of LEO's in that little piece of heaven that will be there to protect you night and day.  Just ask the guys in power, they'll tell you so infact.

You'll be fine.

I know what your asking and I have no clue and I've lived in Maryland, Baltimore/Washington area for 22+ years.  All I know is you will have a bung hole you can walk Sen. Kennedy's ego threw.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 7:14:01 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I don't want to take a gun into the capital building. I may have to go there for a business trip and I'd like to have one with me. At a bare minimum to keep in my hotel room.

Steve,
I don't think this is sinking in.

It's not just the Capital and White House, there are parks, monuments,  museams, other federal buildings and property.

This ain't Texas, heck it's like no other place in the country.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 7:18:02 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Steve,

It's not just the Capital and White House, there are parks, monuments,  museams, other federal buildings and property.

Listen to us, that live in the area.  We would listen to you if we where coming to TX, well maybe.

You can't swing a dead cat with out hitting more than 3 Fed LE agencies.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 7:20:52 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Steve,

Yes, I realize all of this. But if the hotels aren't run by the federal government then there isn't a whole lot for me to worry about. This is a business trip, not a sight seeing tour. I'm not going to going to the Lincoln memorial or the Vietnam War Memorial or any of the other places that tourists go to when they are in DC. I am going to be stuck either in a hotel room or a datacenter at the customer's site, probably for quite some time. And yes, I'd like to have a piece with me incase someone breaks into my hotel room. But I want to know what the actual penalty for having a gun is before I make that decision.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 7:25:07 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Steve,

Yes, I realize all of this. But if the hotels aren't run by the federal government then there isn't a whole lot for me to worry about. This is a business trip, not a sight seeing tour. I'm not going to going to the Lincoln memorial or the Vietnam War Memorial or any of the other places that tourists go to when they are in DC. I am going to be stuck either in a hotel room or a datacenter at the customer's site, probably for quite some time.

If you already know the anwers, why did you ask the question.  

Best advice from people who currently live there and from people who used to live there is as follows:

Do not bring a gun to Wash DC.  Period.  End of list.  

Yes, you can get away with it.    Is it the smart choice?  NO

Link Posted: 10/12/2005 7:25:39 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Steve,

Yes, I realize all of this. But if the hotels aren't run by the federal government then there isn't a whole lot for me to worry about. This is a business trip, not a sight seeing tour. I'm not going to going to the Lincoln memorial or the Vietnam War Memorial or any of the other places that tourists go to when they are in DC. I am going to be stuck either in a hotel room or a datacenter at the customer's site, probably for quite some time.

GO HERE FOR SOME GOOD INFO
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 7:26:37 AM EDT
[#21]
if you get caught, it would be better to be caught by fed leo's than the local cops, especially if you're white and southern. metro pd is a collection of black thugs looking to put a "beat down on some mouthy cracker". if you're caught with a piece you can count on spending the night in the local lockdown wif all de homies axing whatchoo doin' in dark chocolate.

stay the fuck out of se.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 7:29:05 AM EDT
[#22]
That is a bad decision.
If you are caught, your FUCKED. period.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 7:34:57 AM EDT
[#23]
Unles you have the will and the funding to be a 2nd Amendment test case, don't do it.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 7:37:01 AM EDT
[#24]
BTW Steve I did check on the 'possession' laws.  No matter where in DC you are it IS a federal crime if you violate it.  The original law was passed by Congress (you realize that DC is ultimately controlled by Congress right?  It is in the Constitution).  This federal law was make part of DC code, but you can still be charged with a federal offense.

IF you only get charged with the DC offense it's up to $1000 and a year in jail (not to mention you'll lose the gun either way).  Lawyer fees will probably start around $10K.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 7:40:06 AM EDT
[#25]
bring a gun just don't get caught
If you do get caught it was nice knowing you
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 7:40:11 AM EDT
[#26]
Let's put it this way. If you come in from the Virginia side, and you have a gun on you, once you set foot on the Key or Wilson Bridge, you are a felon. This is not a "Well, I'm not gonna take it to a federal building or anything." Having, on your person, a firearm or cartridge, in D.C., is a D.C. felony. It is a Federal felony. It is not a question of where you go in D.C. That does not matter.

If you possess a gun anywhere in D.C., you are committing a felony.

If you possess a gun ANYWHERE in D.C., you are committing a FELONY.

The ONLY people who may have a gun ANYWHERE in D.C. without being in violation of the law are officers of the law or military who are specifically on duty and under orders to carry their weapons. Otherwise, it is a FELONY.

Okay?
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 7:41:40 AM EDT
[#27]
If I'm not mistaken, possesion of an unlicensed firearm in DC is a felony.  Possession of a firearms outside of your home/business (unless LEO) is a felony.  Read the link provided to packing.org.  

As mentioned above, possession of one single live round counts as a firearm.  
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 7:43:47 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
A new boyfriend.

Kharn

+1

Don't do it.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 7:45:07 AM EDT
[#29]
Here is a decent idea.

Stay in a GOOD hotel and you won't have to worry about 'break ins' during that 8 hours of sleep you'll get, nor will you have to worry that maid will find it while you're at your client's facility (or that a break in occurs during the day and the theif takes the gun).
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 7:48:28 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

What can they really do to you? The law banning handguns and requiring that all handguns be registered is just a city ordanance. It's not like it would be a violation of federal law. What's the penalty, a $500 fine?

Probably 50% of downtown Washington DC is Federal Property.  That makes your firearms charge a Federal charge - with Federal sentencing, Federal conviction, and Federal time in a Federal prison.  Do you know how many Federal buildings, Park areas etc are in DC?  Those expansive grassy areas, fountains and memorials are ALL Federal land.

CWO
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 7:51:25 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Do you know how many Federal buildings, Park areas etc are in DC?  Those expansive grassy areas, fountains and memorials are ALL Federal land.

CWO

No he doesn't get it - I tried to explain.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 7:53:34 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Do you know how many Federal buildings, Park areas etc are in DC?  Those expansive grassy areas, fountains and memorials are ALL Federal land.

CWO

Well then - I'll look for him in the newspaper.

CWO
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 7:57:51 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

CWO

I find it entertaining that you try and act like a condescending jackass when you cannot even answer my freaking question.

You don't have any idea what the actual penalty for possessing a firearm in DC is. You know all about the parks where the federal property is. That's good too I guess, but you can't answer my question. Yet still you think you are in a position to make snide remarks.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 7:58:21 AM EDT
[#34]
Hell, even possessing a bullet, a primer or spent brass is a felony.  Are you guys sure DC is still a part of the United States?
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 8:00:58 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

CWO

I find it entertaining that you try and act like a condescending jackass when you cannot even answer my freaking question.

You don't have any idea what the actual penalty for possessing a firearm in DC is. You know all about the parks where the federal property is. That's good too I guess, but you can't answer my question. Yet still you think you are in a position to make snide remarks.

He’s not being a condescending jackass, he’s trying to help you.
Pretty much everyone in this thread is trying to help you.
Did you follow the link to the concealed carry site?  Listen to everyone telling you it’d be a felony.
You would never be able to own guns again.  You’d pay a lot of money and maybe/probably do time.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 8:01:11 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

CWO

CWO

You guys are a riot. Really you are. Let me ask you a question smart ass:

What did I say that I wanted to do?

OK, last question:

Given what I said I wanted to do, why should I be afraid getting caught with a firearm on federal property?
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 8:04:42 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
..You don't have any idea what the actual penalty for possessing a firearm in DC is. ...That's good too I guess, but you can't answer my question. Yet still you think you are in a position to make snide remarks.

Listen 'Jackass' we're trying to help.  And if you BOTHERED TO READ THE BOTTOM OF PAGE 1 you'll see I posted what the DC Civil penalties are.

Now are you going to continue to be a fucktard or not?
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 8:11:48 AM EDT
[#38]
man, motown, look, it's illegal to carry a piece in dc, period. you can probably get away with it but if you're caught you will be arrested either by fed leo or the local scum. you will be booked. you will be thrown in jail pending arraignment. you will not be allowed to go home with a slap on the wrist. you will not get a ticket. you will be stripped and have your ass probed by some 60 year old past it disgruntled cop with big fucking fingers and not enough ky jelly. you will be thrown in a jail cell with the local flora and fauna. you will most likely be beaten. regardless, it won't be pleasant. it's probably better to be tried by twelve than carried by six but only you can make that decision.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 8:18:23 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

CWO

He’s not being a condescending jackass, he’s trying to help you.
Pretty much everyone in this thread is trying to help you.
Did you follow the link to the concealed carry site? Listen to everyone telling you it’d be a felony.
You would never be able to own guns again.  You’d pay a lot of money and maybe/probably do time.

I did read the site, and I saw absolutely nothing that indicated that possessing an unregistered firearm is a felony. Let's go back to my original question for a second:

"What is the penalty for being in possession of a firearm in DC?"

Did I say "What is the penalty for carrying a gun onto federal property in DC"? Did I say "What is the penalty for CCW without a permit in DC"? No, I asked what the penalty is for possessing a gun in DC.

OK, so there is a differentiation between federal property and non-federal property in DC. Understand though, I am not going there for tourism. I'm not going to be able to go to the Smithsonian or the Mint, or the White House, or the Mall. I am going to be either at the customer's site or in my hotel room working. I'm not concerned with getting caught with a gun on federal property, because I'm not planning on carrying it around town with me. What I am concerned about is being in a hotel room in the murder capitol of America without any means of protection. Lots of people get attacked in hotels. I've had my hotel rooms broken into before, and I don't want to be in it without a gun when it happens again.

Now, according to the NRA's website, there are 2 laws governing possession of a firearm in Washington DC. One is the Federal Law, and the other is the city ordanance. The city ordanance is law which requires a permit and bans people from bringing a handgun into DC. All I'm asking is what is the penalty for breaking the city ordanance?
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 8:18:30 AM EDT
[#40]
I assume if you're passing through DC, but not staying there, you're cool as long as the gun is locked up in the trunk, yadda, yadda.  but if you're actually staying there, free travel laws no longer apply. Or is there anexception for D.C.?

It's all unconstitutional bullshit anyway.  
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 8:33:31 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
. All I'm asking is what is the penalty for breaking the city ordanance?

And yet you still haven't read my post on the bottom of page one which spells this out.

BTW besides the handgun I'm assuming you're going to bring bullets.  Lets for the sake of argument say you have a 6 shot revolver and that is all you bring.  Now you get to multiply the pentalty X 7 (one for the gun and 6 for the bullets - you did follow how a round of ammo=gun in DC right?).

Oh might as well make it x8 because I'm betting you're not going to have a trigger lock or have the gun broken down as required (yes it is still a penalty if you 'ready it' in a self defense case).

8 years is a long time in a DC prison for a TX businessman.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 8:37:55 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
I assume if you're passing through DC, but not staying there, you're cool as long as the gun is locked up in the trunk,

Technically this is correct.  However there was an issue several years ago where the Police were still confiscating even if you were legally driving through.  The NRA sent out a fax warning us about it and suggesting we go around DC (Beltway) instead of through it (295/395).  I've recently read where the police have stopped doing that - but I'm not trusting them.

It's all unconstitutional bullshit anyway.  

Absolutely!  
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 8:40:12 AM EDT
[#43]
ok, if you're caught at your hotel by the metro pd, the local guys, you'll be arrested under city statutes for possession of a firearm, possession of unregistered ammo, violation a concealed weapon without a license and that's just for starters. if you have a semiauto with more than 12 rds, they classify it as an assault weapon or a machine gun. if it's a certain type of ammo, that's a no-no. all these violations, by themselves, are felonies but not federal violations. if you want, call the "gun control unit" (no shit!) at 202.727.4275
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 8:41:16 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
bring a gun just don't get caught
If you do get caught it was nice knowing you

Exactly, same deal with CCW in MD for most people, I'm afraid
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 8:42:52 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I assume if you're passing through DC, but not staying there, you're cool as long as the gun is locked up in the trunk,

Technically this is correct.  However there was an issue several years ago where the Police were still confiscating even if you were legally driving through.  The NRA sent out a fax warning us about it and suggesting we go around DC (Beltway) instead of through it (295/395).  I've recently read where the police have stopped doing that - but I'm not trusting them.

if they stop you for whatever reason and find a firearm, you're going to be arrested. even if it's unloaded, broken down, whatever. there is NO peaceable passage through dc unless the ammo and firearm are registered in dc.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 8:44:45 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

CWO

CWO

OK, last question:

Given what I said I wanted to do, why should I be afraid getting caught with a firearm on federal property?

You should be afraid because it carries a federal prison sentence and is a felony.  You'll lose your right to vote and your right to own a gun ever again.  If you do it, don't get caught, because if you're caught, you're SOL.  Like I said, same thing if you try to CCW (open carry is treated the same as CCW, IIRC) in MD (nobody but the political elite and people whose jobs require it can get CCW permits).  
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 8:48:54 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

CWO

CWO

OK, last question:

You should be afraid because it carries a federal prison sentence and is a felony.  You'll lose your right to vote and your right to own a gun ever again.  If you do it, don't get caught, because if you're caught, you're SOL.  Like I said, same thing if you try to CCW (open carry is treated the same as CCW, IIRC) in MD (nobody but the political elite and people whose jobs require it can get CCW permits).  

If you had read my questions...

Ah nevermind. Ask a simple question get the answers to everything except for the question you asked.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 8:50:41 AM EDT
[#48]
at what hotel are you staying?

Link Posted: 10/12/2005 8:53:36 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

I have no idea. That's what worries me. I've never been to DC before, but from what I have heard there are two parts: The capital area and the ghetto from which you will never emerge.

This is for a project with low margin, so I don't think my company is going to be putting me up in The Watergate.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 8:55:42 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

You didn't end that sentence with a preposition!  (which I think most people would have done)
Nice!

You didn't capitalize the 'A' in at though but still, pretty noteworthy on the preposition!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top