Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 10/2/2007 11:18:09 PM EDT
Out of town and need to find a restaurant, glory hole or other location? You will need messaging, type out a new text message to "google" (number 466453). In the body type the name of the business and either the city or zip code. You will get a message back momentarily with all addresses and phone numbers. example: Victorias Secret Phoenix

Dont know if there is a charge, but been told there is not.
Link Posted: 10/2/2007 11:29:27 PM EDT

Originally Posted By The_Biased_Observer:
Out of town and need to find a restaurant, glory hole or other location? You will need messaging, type out a new text message to "google" (number 466453). In the body type the name of the business and either the city or zip code. You will get a message back momentarily with all addresses and phone numbers. example: Victorias Secret Phoenix

I didn't know about that, but I always use Google Info 1-800-GOOG411 (1-800-466-4411) for directory assistance on my cell - no charge, plus they connect you to the business as well.

Link Posted: 10/3/2007 12:09:32 AM EDT
They have map service for glory holes?

I can now cancel my Onstar subscription.
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 12:13:25 AM EDT

Originally Posted By PeteCO:
They have map service for glory holes?

I can now cancel my Onstar subscription.

I have known about this for a little while. A buddy that is on the road a lot told me about it. You can get anything you would need from Google right on your phone. Directions, phone numbers, etc. It has saved my ass a few times when I didn't have a map and got lost, or needed to find a business in a unfamiliar town.
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 12:13:48 AM EDT
They also do Airline Flights:

Travelers with text-messaging capability on mobile devices can send a text to Google and retrieve flight status information within seconds.

Google unveiled the SMS (Short Messaging Service) tool through a partnership with Flightstats.com, a unit of Conducive Technology.

Users can send a text message to 466453 (Google) containing the airline name (American, for instance), or abbreviation (AA), and the flight number to track the flight status.

The free service -- apart from standard messaging costs from telecom carriers -- covers flights departing or arriving in the U.S., Google said.

If users don't know the flight number or require additional information, they can text just the airline name abbreviation to Google and receive the carrier's reservations phone number.

Link Posted: 10/3/2007 2:32:45 AM EDT
Tag to add this to my phone in the morning .
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 1:10:55 PM EDT
text the word "weather" to google along with your zip and get a 3 day forcast
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 4:26:34 PM EDT

Originally Posted By GreyGoose:

I will have to try that since I can't get anything else to work!
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 4:30:53 PM EDT
ost
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 4:55:33 PM EDT
It is amazing how fast this works. Apparently they have a great sports network that will tell you scores and shit. Can't wait to test it out this weekend.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 4:57:00 PM EDT
Nice to know
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 4:58:30 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Cptbwst:

Originally Posted By GreyGoose:

I will have to try that since I can't get anything else to work!

Yup, it works. Thats pretty neat.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 5:00:13 PM EDT

Originally Posted By HK-Angel:

Originally Posted By The_Biased_Observer:

I didn't know about that, but I always use Google Info 1-800-GOOG411 (1-800-466-4411) for directory assistance on my cell - no charge, plus they connect you to the business as well.

Is it necessary to quote the OP if you are the first poster in the thread?

- Clint
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 5:05:17 PM EDT
Nope. I've got a Blackberry, and it has a browser built in.

The texting thing sounds nifty, though. Might be quicker.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 5:05:53 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Alaskacajun:

- Clint

My pet peeve as well.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 5:07:12 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Alaskacajun:

- Clint

Is it necessary to quote both the OP *and* the first poster, when it's obvious which two parties you're referring to?
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 5:08:20 PM EDT
Interesting and informative this is.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 5:11:21 PM EDT
ost
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 5:12:03 PM EDT
Wow great tip. I just did NAPA with my zipcode. Came right back with number and address.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 5:19:38 PM EDT
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 5:19:39 PM EDT
Wow, thats really cool. What else can you do with it?
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 2:25:14 PM EDT

Originally Posted By T56:
Wow, thats really cool. What else can you do with it?

I'm still tryin to get a craigslist hooker with this method.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 2:29:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/2/2007 2:31:26 PM EDT by Nlinc]
I don't use it via text messaging, because my phone is advanced enough to load google local, which is basically google maps, for the phone. So not only can I pull up a map and search for places, but I can get directions, or call the number with a push of a button.
It also shows traffic if you are in one of the cities that is supported by that feature.
I also have Opera Mini, so I can browse arfcom while I wait to be seated at the restaurant I looked up on Google Local.

ETA: while the google text service is free, your cellular provider will still charge you like any other text message.
Top Top