Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/7/2007 10:44:07 PM EDT
For you 1911/Browning hi-power and other typs gun owners out there.

Have you ever thought about making your own grips?

How hard could it really be?

Input please.

I know I could spend $50 or more just to "buy" a set but wouldnt making a set mean more to you?
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 11:14:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Yeah, go for it.

The hardest part is getting the hole location exactly right.  Wood seems to have its own mind compared to working with aluminum.  Drill your holes before working on the shape and other finishing work.

If you can find or make a cutting tool to match the hole and screw head size you are there!  All you need after that is wood and a belt sander, and a spindle sander if you are working on concave surfaces.  

My first set of 1911ish grips are still wrapped on using blue painters tape as the hole spacing is off.  Too nice to chuck, but I'll make another pair sometime.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 11:17:14 AM EDT
[#2]
BTDT..
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 11:27:30 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
BTDT..

yup, get back to me when you are making a rifle stock out of a block of wood.

Really though, I say go for it. Just remember you can never put back what you take away.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top