Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/21/2008 4:43:39 AM EST

I almost did last night. I would not call myself a violent person. Far from it, i never seem to get mad and rarely angry. But I always have this quiet intensity about me. When startled or frightened instead of screaming and freezing I tend to act aggressively. When I am awake I can “tune” the reaction down to simply tensing. As a result I hate things like roller coasters. Something about being frightened and locked in a little box where you don’t have any control is not fun for me.

Last night I was sound asleep and the GF quietly get’s into bed and puts her arm around me. In an instant I feel something grabbing me in my sleep and I am bolt upright elbow cocked and ready to drive it into her face. The only thing that stopped her from getting a broken nose, cheek and jaw was her voice. I can’t remember what she said but recognizing her voice was enough to stop it. It’s not the first time it’s happened or turned into a “relationship” problem.

I can remember growing up and having my parents wake me up by grabbing my foot, saying my name and then quickly stepping back. I have heard a lot of veterans have this issue I just wonder if I can do anything about it or just have to live with it and be careful. Anyone else have this problem?
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 4:45:28 AM EST
No, but my wife punched me in her sleep!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 4:52:03 AM EST
No, but I did slap my ex girlfriend's extremely sunburned chest because it happened to be where my alarm clock typically is.

Alarm went off, I instinctively slapped for the snooze button and forgot that we were in a hotel and I wasn't on my usual side of the bed.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 4:56:51 AM EST

Originally Posted By 134thSIGNAL:

Yup, my wife has the jimmy legs too. I find bruises all over from her nightly zombie dream battles.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 5:01:37 AM EST
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 5:10:01 AM EST

Originally Posted By Cypher214:
No, but I did slap my ex girlfriend's extremely sunburned chest because it happened to be where my alarm clock typically is.

Alarm went off, I instinctively slapped for the snooze button and forgot that we were in a hotel and I wasn't on my usual side of the bed.

Link Posted: 7/21/2008 5:12:02 AM EST
Lots of veterans have the issue of remembering how their parents waking them up in the morning by grabbing their feet?

Nope, never punched - but I have been known to push and steal covers.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 5:14:33 AM EST
Never punched in my sleep, but when I was 11, I had a dream that my father passed away and left my mother and us kids in dire straights. I was so upset in my dream that I kicked the wall that my bed butted up against. Yeah, stress fractured my foot.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 5:19:59 AM EST

Originally Posted By Bama-Shooter:
I kicked the Mrs the other night during a zombie dream.

+1
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 5:20:40 AM EST
I've come close. I don't take well to being startled awake. I tend to come up ready to punch someone's lights out. My wife tells me that I nearly snapped her head off early one morning when she tried to kiss me good bye on her way to work. She thought I was awake so she leaned down to kiss me. She says I reached up like I was going to put one hand on the back of her head, one on the front, then twist her head off. Luckily she was able to avoid being grabbed.

Since that time, she wakes me from across the room.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 5:20:42 AM EST
I was a little kid maybe about 7 or 8 and was on vaction with my parents. We were staying in a hotel and I was having a dream that my little brother was pissing me off. I wound up and cracked him. I ended up hitting my mom in the eye while she was laying next to me watching television. She wasn't to happy to say the least.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 5:20:53 AM EST
[Last Edit: 7/21/2008 5:21:29 AM EST by Nighthawk08]
Yep. Pretty much the same as above except it was my dad.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 5:24:57 AM EST
I never punch in my sleep but I did jerk the pillow out from under my wifes head, like everynight LOL.
You know the trick where the tablecloth is pulled out from uder the glasses and plates............................. it didnt go that smooth.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 5:28:45 AM EST

+1

Me too she had a dream that I was cheating/openly flaunting it. Punched me in the head.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 5:30:01 AM EST
She slapped me the other night. I woke her up and asked wtf was that all about. She stated " I caught you with your EX" (EX moved back to the UK 20 years ago)
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 5:31:59 AM EST
About 10 years ago I was pretty heavy into BJJ. I would wake myself up doing a triangle.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 5:34:18 AM EST

Originally Posted By onemangang:
About 10 years ago I was pretty heavy into BJJ. I would wake myself up doing a triangle.

huh
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 5:41:32 AM EST
Actually did this last night. Punched my wife in the stomach.

I had taken an AMOK! knife class yesterday and was thinking about the stuff we did in the class before I fell asleep.

I told her it made up for her kicking the shit out of me in her sleep the other night. I don't mean a single kick, but at least three times she kicked me. Scared the shit out of me.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 5:44:38 AM EST
I regularly smack my GF accidentally when I sleep.

I thrash around a lot.

I also, uh, "mounted" my ex wife during sleep once, and started humping away.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 5:45:08 AM EST
I bite my wife hard enough on the shoulder to leave a 2-week bruise of my teeth. I was dead asleep and remember nothing.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 5:45:30 AM EST
Back when we were dating, the wife claims I pushed her out of the bed in my sleep and laughed at her. Twice. I have no recollection of it myself.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 5:49:07 AM EST
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 5:50:08 AM EST

Been there, done that.

When I snore, my wife hits me to get me to roll over. Every once in a while, she'll land one on an eye or a nose with some force.

Link Posted: 7/21/2008 5:52:23 AM EST
Punched my dad in my sleep on a family reunion once many years ago.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:38:27 AM EST
Once when I was dreaming that I was in a fight, choking the guy I was fighting with. My wife woke me up and I was choking her

I hear alot about this type of behavior, my co-worker punched his wife in his sleep.

I believe there are some case that people killed thier spouse in their sleep.... well, it was their defense anyways

Bri
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 7:04:55 AM EST
Its been a problem Ive had all my life. When I was little I would attack my mom as she tried to wake me up in the morning. I guess it was her fault as she thought shaking me and singing 'good morning good morning good morning! its time to rise and shine!..." etc.

My GF occasionally gets an elbow because I like to sleep with my arm behind my head ( I sleep on my back) so if she rolls closer to me she gets a face full of elbow. I have kicked her and almost punched her before. Nothing hard but she gets small bruises from time to time - she bruises easily anyway.

Link Posted: 7/21/2008 7:11:32 AM EST
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 7:14:38 AM EST
[Last Edit: 7/21/2008 7:44:50 AM EST by BuckeyeRifleman]
No,

But the other night I did wake up in the middle of the night screaming at the top of my lungs.

The worst part was I was at work and woke up everyone else in the bunk room. Scared the crap out of everyone.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 7:21:00 AM EST
Iv punched my friend right in the cheek after he woke me up it almost knocked him out
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 7:33:54 AM EST
My wife does it to me a lot.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 8:43:15 AM EST

Originally Posted By ScubaDachshund:
I've come close. I don't take well to being startled awake. I tend to come up ready to punch someone's lights out. My wife tells me that I nearly snapped her head off early one morning when she tried to kiss me good bye on her way to work. She thought I was awake so she leaned down to kiss me. She says I reached up like I was going to put one hand on the back of her head, one on the front, then twist her head off. Luckily she was able to avoid being grabbed.

Since that time, she wakes me from across the room.

+1 just throw pebbles
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 8:44:38 AM EST

Originally Posted By weptek911:

+1

Me too she had a dream that I was cheating/openly flaunting it. Punched me in the head.

Dude she wasn't asleep....just saying
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 8:44:57 AM EST
Yep...bit her, too.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 8:49:54 AM EST

Originally Posted By BuckeyeRifleman:
No,

But the other night I did wake up in the middle of the night screaming at the top of my lungs.

The worst part was I was at work and woke up everyone else in the bunk room. Scared the crap out of everyone.

I used to have night terrors bad from a stressful job. I would rip the sheets/covers off the bed screaming like the head bad dude in I am Legend. Scared my ex-wife to death. She said the worst was she would wake up and I would be staring at her like I wanted to kill her. Sometimes I would remember what was going on sometimes I wouldn't.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 9:06:35 AM EST
[Last Edit: 7/21/2008 11:01:26 AM EST by ohiobr]
Not in my sleep but sometimes i wake up and have no idea where im at. If i feel someone next to me it either results in me coming up swinging or i'll panic and freeze not being able to move until i remember where im at and who's in bed with me.

So far i've beaten the shit out of my mom, dog, and girlfriend. Dog was the only one that never learned to sleep as far away from me as possible and i actually feel sorry for him.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 9:14:59 AM EST
I've never hit someone else, but I hit myself just last night. I was sleeping with my arms curled in front of me, hands near my face, and was dreaming something that I can't remember. I woke up with a sudden twitch and the twitch sent the back of my hand straight into my nose. No harm done, but it stung
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 9:26:15 AM EST
... rolled over apparently pissed off that I wasn't sleeping well and slammed my palm into the mattress... except it was my wife's face. Then I was really awake.. making your sweet sleeping wife cry is not cool.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 9:28:59 AM EST
i punched somebody in their sleep
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 9:38:20 AM EST
Apparently I am very active when I sleep sometimes, my wife says that she will ask me something and I give random incoherent answers which I can never remember.

One time I was in bed and thought my wife was in bed next to me. I heard the sound of the door opening in my sleep and jumped out of bed slamming all my weight against it (me = 250 pounds, her = 150). It turns out she was just coming in from the bathroom and I basically slammed the door shut with her partially through it, fortunately we were in an apartment with cheap doors that tended to have more flex than a solid hardwood door would have.

When I heard her voice I snapped out of it and stopped trying to keep the door closed, which had actually latched shut with her big toe in it. I then proceeded to help her bandage the toe and said “I’m sorry” about a dozen times to try and quell the crying.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 10:04:48 AM EST
No, but I once kicked someone as hard as I possibly could while HE was asleep.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 10:07:39 AM EST
Never punched anyone in my sleep, but my first college roommate informed me one morning that some time in the night I'd very distinctly said "give me one good reason why I shouldn't kill you" and then started swearing in German. It creeped him out for a whole week.

Very few people attempt to touch me in order to wake me up. I'm a light sleeper (when I want to be; some part of me is always awake and listening so I can wake up if it's something important or stay asleep if it isn't. Thunderstorms and loud neighbors don't make me twitch; someone whispering my name or a radio playing a song I really like will wake me up.), so it doesn't take much to get me up, rendering it unnecessary to shake me. I also sleep with a knife under my pillow and people know it.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 10:10:08 AM EST
Good God.

Gnarly Toes - check
Dangerous to sleep with - check

It's a wonder any of you have a girlfriend/wife.

Link Posted: 7/21/2008 10:15:09 AM EST
Yep, while having a crazy dream one night I popped the wife in the jaw. I'm usually more prone to just talking in my sleep, but that night I musta been really pissed.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 10:43:38 AM EST
[Last Edit: 7/21/2008 10:46:41 AM EST by MudBug]
I haven't punched anyone, but I did try and choke an ex-GF while I was sleeping once a long time ago. (ETA: to clarify she wasn't my ex at the time and we weren't having any problems)

I have punched my nightstand though. Nothing like waking up to unbearable pain and confusion.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:36:52 PM EST

Originally Posted By weptek911:

+1

Originally Posted By 5oulja:
She slapped me the other night. I woke her up and asked wtf was that all about. She stated " I caught you with your EX" (EX moved back to the UK 20 years ago)

Why is that women are constantly pissed at us for things that happened in a dream?
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:41:35 PM EST

Originally Posted By ohiobr:
Not in my sleep but sometimes i wake up and have no idea where im at. If i feel someone next to me it either results in me coming up swinging or i'll panic and freeze not being able to move until i remember where im at and who's in bed with me.

So far i've beaten the shit out of my mom, dog, and girlfriend. Dog was the only one that never learned to sleep as far away from me as possible and i actually feel sorry for him.

You slept with your mom AND beat the shit out of her?
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 7:18:56 PM EST
Never in my sleep. But I don't always wake-up peacefully. I've taken swings/grabbed people when they try and jostle me awake or touch me to wake me. It's not a conscious act and it doesn't always happen. I've popped roommates , friends and come close to hitting girlfriends. My GF now knows to wake me verbally. Things are ok so long a I'm not touched or jostled awake. I don't know why - I think it's a surprise or shock - I'm not usually having violent/combative dreams either when it happens. When I'm awake I'm not overly snappy or easilly surprised - just coming out of slumber I get very physically defensive for some reason.

-JC
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 7:21:17 PM EST
Yeah... Kicked too.
But the cake was when I punched my fist trhough a window at 15 in the middle of a dream... Quite a scar I got.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 7:21:48 PM EST
[Last Edit: 7/21/2008 7:22:21 PM EST by AcidGambit]
Yep, a few times

I actually grabbed a girl by her hair and pulled her away from me once... I felt pretty bad about that. She was trying to wake me up, get me to stop snoring.

Didn't remember any of the cases.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 7:48:43 PM EST
Not punched , but I did give my Ex a black eye with an elbow one night .
Funny thing was , she didn't really wake up either . She just mumbled
something about me hitting her and went back to sleep .

She was a bit more vocal about it the next morning when she came out of the
bathroom looking like this
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 7:50:43 PM EST
Once I had fallen asleep on the couch and my girlfriend woke me up and I almost cold cocked her. It just totally startled me the way she woke me up. We still joke about that.

And before I got my sleep apnea treated I use to kick her in my sleep all the time.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top