Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/26/2005 8:13:40 PM EDT
I don't know if what I did was a pact with God, but I did pray to him that I would take any
suffering that could be dealt to me as long as my children and then later my Grandchildren
would be healthy and safe.

He hasn't let me down.

I let him know, that was one thing I could not endure, and he blessed me.

GM
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 8:23:53 PM EDT
[#1]

Many times and he has always blessed me but I'm shamed to say I've always let him down. I thank him every day for Jesus Christ.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 8:36:31 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Many times and he has always blessed me but I'm shamed to say I've always let him down. I thank him every day for Jesus Christ.

Thanks DixieKnight

Yeah, I have been a putz too.

But the lord keeps taking mercy on me.

GM
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 9:27:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes, goodmedicine.  Pretty much the same pact you made.  
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 9:42:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes I to pray in the same way, My Son and Wife are the most inportant things, for lack of a better term  in my life, That I would take on anything and give my own life for them. While all knowing  I do find it self  reassuring to tell this to God each night.  I can only hope that my deeds out shine my sins some day.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 10:07:57 AM EDT
[#5]
In July, 1986 I was laying in a hospital room with a serious wound from a drunken brawl (drunken brawls were starting to become regular)----while staring at the ceiling, I said "God, if you get me out of this one ok I will never drink again"-----------------well, He did.
A month later, when feeling better, someone gave me a beer, I popped it open, took one drink then threw it away in disgust and feeling HUGE guilt, and have never drank again.
Now at 40, i'm in college working on my degree in Soc. services/substance abuse treatment.
ETA: time to give something back
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 3:44:32 PM EDT
[#6]
So, how do you think these pacts work?

Why do you think God has an affinity for your own children/grandchildren over all the other children?  Or why would it matter to God if you drank alcohol?

It would seem to me that God wants your soul but is not into deal making for it.

Just thinking out loud.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 7:10:22 PM EDT
[#7]
My drinking alcohol i'm sure DOESN"T matter to God----But it matters to me, because I said I wouldn't drink again if He got me out of my predicament. Of course I can't prove He had anything to do with it, but i did recover fully---I made a promise and consider myself a man of my word.

ETA: maybe it should be looked at more as a promise to myself and God was just the "excuse"--things happen for different reasons, I don't know.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:35:17 AM EDT
[#8]

Hos 4:11  Whoredom and wine and new wine take away the heart.

Deu 29:6  Ye have not eaten bread, neither have ye drunk wine or strong drink: that ye might know that I am the LORD your God.

Jdg 13:4  Now therefore beware, I pray thee, and drink not wine nor strong drink, and eat not any unclean thing:

Pro 20:1  Wine is a mocker, strong drink is raging: and whosoever is deceived thereby is not wise.

Shok

Link Posted: 8/29/2005 7:31:59 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
My drinking alcohol i'm sure DOESN"T matter to God----But it matters to me, because I said I wouldn't drink again if He got me out of my predicament. Of course I can't prove He had anything to do with it, but i did recover fully---I made a promise and consider myself a man of my word.

ETA: maybe it should be looked at more as a promise to myself and God was just the "excuse"--things happen for different reasons, I don't know.

I don't remember where, but the Bible does say that He expects us to keep our promises just as He does.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 8:13:59 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't remember where, but the Bible does say that He expects us to keep our promises just as He does.

I wholeheartedly agree that the Bible acknowledges the importance of keeping promises---my point was that whether God DID or DID NOT have anything to do with my full recovery, or whether I was really  making a promise to myself (as some have suggested to me) or to HIM, doesn't really matter.....I feel serious and compelled enough about it to have kept that promise for the last 19 years----and will for the rest of my life, just like any promise I make.......God willing
I would like to think a promise is a promise, no matter who its made to.....But truth is, one made to Him may hold a bit more weight
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 6:46:35 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I would like to think a promise is a promise, no matter who its made to.....But truth is, one made to Him may hold a bit more weight

Amen brudda, Amen.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 12:56:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Given my predisposition to violating nearly every commandment given to me by my Creator, my answer is no. There's not much evidence to suggest that I could hold up my end of the bargain.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 10:34:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Are you talking about a deal with God where you agree to something to get something from God? Unless you are taking hold of a promise from God I think that is very unwise.

First, God wants you to come and ask things of him that are in his will, constantly, and there is no need to strike a bargain with someone who wants good things for you. See the parable about the unjust judge, or the teaching about fathers giving good things to their children when asked.

Second, if you think God will be happy if you come to him and say, "if you do this I'll never ask for anything else" see above.

IF you do make a vow, keep it. If that vow goes against gods will, repent of it and do what he would have you do instead.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 8:17:56 PM EDT
[#14]
yes, and I broke my end of the deal, and God was hard on me for it.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 8:21:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Who?

Edit:

I have to ask how one would go about doing that?  A pact assumes an agreement or a sort of contract.  An agreement demands that there be at least two participants, so unless God actually agrees to certain terms then you are doing nothing more than attempting to cast your own little magic spell.

Oh, Lord if I do/don't do this I would very much like it if you would not do/do that.   Agreed?..................................

Hello?
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 7:39:35 AM EDT
[#16]
Muslims do something similar called Nazer which is where I promise to do something if God grants my prayer then I will do something in return. I typically pray that I will donate moeny to charity if my prayer is fulfiled. Muslims believe that when you pray to God for something that you do not pray for anything bad i.e. in the story of Yusuf he prays that God deliver him from the temptress Queen by sending him to jail, his prayer is fulfiled but then he is told that he should not pray for the negative to occur always pray for good things to happen.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top