Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 3/7/2010 6:28:58 PM EDT
I was reading the expensive hobbies thread and it got me wondering...

Something I really use to love doing was duck hunting.  I use to get out twice a week, but now, I go once or twice a season and that's it.  I just have no desire to do it any more.  I would have laughed in your face if you would have told me that I'd be seriously considering giving it up all together just a year ago.  I'm within inches of giving it up just because I don't enjoy it any more.

Passion's gone.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 6:30:53 PM EDT
[#1]
every girl I have ever dated, and strip clubs
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 6:31:16 PM EDT
[#2]
See how fast it comes back if they put a ban on duck hunting for 5 years to rebuild populations, or some other reason.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 6:32:21 PM EDT
[#3]
playing guitar... i got 3 guitars and a bass, and some home recording equipment.

been debating about giving one of my guitars to a nephew...but i think he needs to be a tad bit older.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 6:33:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes.  When I was a kid all the way through high school I wanted to play basketball.

After I made my college's JV team I became "meh" about it and haven't played since.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 6:34:08 PM EDT
[#5]
I used to love framing houses. I started working for someone, spent every waking minute learning, and eventually went into business for myself. After a few years of dealing with the business aspects and a declining housing market, I gave it up. I recently worked a couple of weeks for my old boss, and hated nearly every day. I think part of it was the fact that codes and construction details have changed a lot over the last few years, but a lot of it was a lack of desire. That and I remembered just how beat up my body could be.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 6:34:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Playing music, playing sports, collecting lamps, collecting typewriters.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 6:36:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Anyone with ADD will tell you that cyclic passions are a way of life for us.

Reloading is my passion.   Making guitars is my passion.  PLAYING guitar is my passion.  Listening to music is my passion.  Amateur radio is my passion.  Learning about the Japanese sword, and polishing them, is my passion.  Watching movies is my passion. Shooting is my passion.   Add other items to the list.   Repeat.

Cycle time for each item varies from weeks to months.   During that time it's what I want to do.  Then I get tired of it and move down the list.

I have too many hobbies to pursue all at once.  So I pursue one at a time.   Typical ADD behavior.

CJ

Link Posted: 3/7/2010 6:37:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
every girl I have ever dated, and strip clubs

Link Posted: 3/7/2010 6:38:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Life
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 6:38:56 PM EDT
[#10]

Dirt track racing.

I lived and brethed it for 25 years.

Link Posted: 3/7/2010 6:40:39 PM EDT
[#11]
I lost my passion for hunting, use to live and breath it but could care less anymore. I do miss being in the woods though, just don't miss hunting.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 6:41:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Guitar, friends stopped playing and I lost motivation. Hunting, more private land and more restrictions  every year have turned into camping with guns.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 6:43:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Reloading is my passion.   Making guitars is my passion.  PLAYING guitar is my passion.  Listening to music is my passion.  Amateur radio is my passion.  Learning about the Japanese sword, and polishing them, is my passion.  Watching movies is my passion. Shooting is my passion.   Add other items to the list.   Repeat.

Cycle time for each item varies from weeks to months.   During that time it's what I want to do.  Then I get tired of it and move down the list.

I have too many hobbies to pursue all at once.  So I pursue one at a time.   Typical ADD behavior.

CJ

I believe you just described me.

ETA  This type of personality also makes it hard to be satisfied with a career.

Link Posted: 3/7/2010 6:45:22 PM EDT
[#14]
life
ETA patriotarmory223 beat me
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 6:46:25 PM EDT
[#15]
I've lost it for cars and hot rods after years and years......so I'm moving on.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 6:46:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Life

suicide hotline???
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 6:46:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

CJ

So THAT'S my problem.

Link Posted: 3/7/2010 6:47:17 PM EDT
[#18]
I used to duck hunt all the time back in the 60-70's, got tired of wading in ice-cold water, plus got too expensive, wife didn't like wild duck and friends stopped hunting also. Same thing with traveling, I was always ready to go anywhere at the drop of a hat, plan the trip the whole nine yards now I hate to really go anywhere anymore. Also had a passion for ATV riding, cut several trails on my property put in a lot of time in it, now I barely ride my ATV anymore. The thing that killed my enjoyment of ATV's and travelling was COMPUTERS! and computer gaming. The damn things took over my life! I can only hope I''ll burn out on them like I've done everything else.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 6:48:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Caving (Spelunking).  I used to devote all my free time to it.  But as I got older, had family commitments, and started having problems with sore knees I stopped going on trips.  I saw some very cool places few people have ever seen, but it is a very strenuous and at times can be a hazardous sport.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 6:48:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I was reading the expensive hobbies thread and it got me wondering...

Something I really use to love doing was duck hunting.  I use to get out twice a week, but now, I go once or twice a season and that's it.  I just have no desire to do it any more.  I would have laughed in your face if you would have told me that I'd be seriously considering giving it up all together just a year ago.  I'm within inches of giving it up just because I don't enjoy it any more.

Passion's gone.

Not being able to walk for a day or two after slogging in the mud pretty much did me in with duck hunting.  Knees can't take it any more.  Plus, the last day I went it was 17 degrees and we had brackish water freezing around the boat.   Sunrise revealed thousands of ducks sitting about sixty yards away from our blind.  Other boats going by were stirring up so many ducks it appeared that there was heavy black smoke over Mobile Bay.  We had two ducks get within range of steel shot that day while watching thousands lounging leisurely within sight.  Not my idea of fun anymore.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 6:48:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 6:50:31 PM EDT
[#22]
My retriever died and I lost interest in duck hunting as well. I didn't want to get another one and start over. Plus the "group dynamics" of the club changed, the area I used was getting over hunted and we were going up substantially on dues.

When I slashed the left boot of my waders I took it as a sign and sold my membership. I think a great deal of the enjoyment was working with the dog. He was like a kid at Christmas everytime I started to load up to go.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 6:51:48 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

playing guitar... i got 3 guitars and a bass, and some home recording equipment.

been debating about giving one of my guitars to a nephew...but i think he needs to be a tad bit older.

Hook me up!

Link Posted: 3/7/2010 6:52:57 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

CJ

this is very true for me, I have too many hobbies. Guitar/music is the one i always come back to though.

Link Posted: 3/7/2010 6:54:16 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

CJ

This describes me to a point, and I am as Glenn Beck would put it, "riddled with ADD."  I don't completely lose passion for something, I just stop being as hardcore in it.  I still am into guns, but not to the level I was in the past.  Though, most of this I blame on not being able to afford to shoot since I am unemployed.

I have also lost interest in cars, but again, I think it's because of financial reasons I have had my '86 Grand National in storage since I first went to college and I haven't had a stable home to put the thing.

I have lost the intensity of passion for several of my hobbies, but the only hobby I completely have no interest in any longer is video games.  For that I blame the discovery of alcohol in high-school and watching several college students fail out because they couldn't break their World of Warcraft addiction... I just quit cold-turkey.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 6:54:45 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Yeah, but talking about it here would probably unleash a minor shitstorm.

Well now you gotta say what it is....  You obviously want to bring it up, or else you wouldn't have said anything.

Link Posted: 3/7/2010 6:55:43 PM EDT
[#27]
im starting to lose my passion for gd
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 6:55:51 PM EDT
[#28]
Shooting...Before Bootcamp and Infantry School I would go shooting like 2 times a week...Not even really fun anymore..Have no desire to own an AR..

Used to look at full autos and stuff and dreamed of having one..Don't care anymore after being a 31, and cant really see what the big deal with them anyways is, lol
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 7:27:12 PM EDT
[#29]
Drawing. I lost my passion for it in my 20's.  My kids are both artistic and I hope to encourage them enough so that they don't lose their passion for it.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 7:29:19 PM EDT
[#30]
Flying. Got all the way to the point where I soloed a few times, was really into it, and then just got bored and quit. Up until then I had always desperately wanted to be a pilot.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 7:29:52 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I hope this happens to me soon.  I spend WAAAAAY to much time here.  Entertaining, yes.  Time killer, definitely!

Link Posted: 3/7/2010 7:34:33 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Life

same. I have lost passion for just about everything.  sucks.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 7:42:59 PM EDT
[#33]
Art.

I'm no artist and smart enough to realize it.  So, I never pursued it beyond childhood.  However, I do write and have a couple of dozen articles plus one book to my credit.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 7:45:22 PM EDT
[#34]
A few passions have fallen to the way side, and the Wife killed the rest
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 7:45:38 PM EDT
[#35]
WAIT!! I have a passion for DOUBLE TAPS!

Link Posted: 3/7/2010 7:48:24 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

CJ

That describes me. I go at everything wide-open, just never finish any one thing...then on to the next.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 7:50:23 PM EDT
[#37]
Everything except downloading pron and jacking off.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 7:53:26 PM EDT
[#38]
Shooting. No passion for it. I like to let my friends shoot but I just dont get any fun out of it anymore.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 7:57:36 PM EDT
[#39]
I used to LOVE tournament paintball. I spent half my time, easy, and I mean literally half of my waking day, thinking about paintball. Weekends were always spent at the paintball field.

Because of this I really did nothing in high school but go to school, and go play paintball. No parties, really no interest in any girls for longer than a week or two (and looking back at some of the girls in my classes, I can understand why ), I was never home on the weekends. During the week I'd do my homework and get online to look up paintball shit, get on paintball websites, blah blah blah. I blew ALL of my money on paintball stuff. I got $1300 for graduation in 2007, it was all gone by fall when I started college and needed books.

Since then, my interests have switched from guns, to paintball (for a few months, it netted me a road trip from St. Cloud (near Orlando) to Phoenix, AZ... One of the cooler trips of my life; I didn't play the tournament, just went to chill), back to guns, to fishing, scuba diving, cars, back to guns... stuck on guns... right now it seems to be trying to pick up girls and partying. Nothing crazy, just having bonfires and drinking with some close friends. I figure it's about time I fell into that cycle, as it never took hold all through high school and now three years after graduation I'm finally out enjoying myself on the weekends.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 7:58:21 PM EDT
[#40]
Heavy Drinking.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 8:00:53 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I've lost it for cars and hot rods after years and years......so I'm moving on.

This +1  Drag racing got too expensive with little return killed my passion. Moved on to guns/hunting haven't looked back.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 8:02:03 PM EDT
[#42]
Spending money on firearms in general esp. 1911s. Still like to shoot and take training classes though but its like throwing money down a rabbit hole.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 8:03:42 PM EDT
[#43]
shooting trap  , shooting IPSC

I did both for about a decade each

hardcore multiple times a week year round

but just lost interest in both
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 8:06:29 PM EDT
[#44]
video games, drinking, being around other people, chewing rubber bands
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 8:08:16 PM EDT
[#45]
Booze and video games.  I stopped drinking and just dabble in games when at sea.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 8:19:28 PM EDT
[#46]
Got pretty deep into racing motocross.
I was finish flagger for the state races, V.P. of local MX club....  I got pretty gung Ho at recruiting club members, racers, and recreational riders.
  Teenage son was racing, his girlfriend was racing, I was racing vet class.
New bike: KTM SX250, new boots, all new gear.... Got real busy at work, six days a week.
the local club scheduled all the city races on SATURDAYs.... the whole fucking race series on saturdays.
 Never made it to the track the whole summer.
That was the end of my motocross career.
Never even broke in those new boots.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 8:27:15 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

You say that like it is a bad thing.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 8:27:25 PM EDT
[#48]
Lately shooting and gun collecting has taken a back seat due to decreased interest in it.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 8:29:58 PM EDT
[#49]
Homebrewing beer became a job. But after a 5 year break, I do plan on getting back into it soon.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 9:01:06 PM EDT
[#50]
Used to spend all my spare time working on my race car, but now i spend it with my little girl...    Plenty of time to do that when she grows up....
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top