Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/29/2003 7:23:35 AM EDT
Just curious.  I'v watched monster and dice for over a year now.  Not even an interview or an acknowledgement that anyone received my resume from the numerous positions I've applied for.

So, is monster a scam, like those junk emails I receive for pills that will make my pecker 2 inches longer? [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 7:26:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes I have gotten a job thru Monster and as a Corp. Recruiter I've used it constantly for years to fill positions.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 7:29:44 AM EDT
[#2]
I keep my resume on Monster and get calls from recruiters more than anything. Occasionally I will get contacted directly by direct hires, but mostly head hunters.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 7:30:14 AM EDT
[#3]
got lot's of calls from recruiters. and one job.  i think it's solid.  but then i am a contractor.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 10:03:18 AM EDT
[#4]
I applaud all of you for supporting monster.com and more importantly Andrew McKelvey, the owner of the company. Mr. McKelvey, who is deeply concerned with the 2nd Amendment, created Americans for Gun Safety. Along with a well known U.S. senator the organization is promoting safety in the shooting sports. Please tell all of your friends and employers to use monster.com!
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 10:05:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Never a call from anyone through monster.com. Seems like I have better luck through networking and going to compoany websites to see what they have available.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 10:06:58 AM EDT
[#6]
My company checks it, but I think they check it mainly to see which employees are looking for something else.  One guy I worked with kept getting called by HR because he didn't take his resume down after getting brought in full time.  
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 10:10:14 AM EDT
[#7]
My fiance, a technical recruiter, has used monster...

She filled one entire office in San Fran -- 150 people -- as well as 100 people for an office here in NoVA within a span of 8 months.

She got at least 10% of those resumes from monster.

She also has meet many people who refuse to use it for the reasons stated above -- no contact.

YMMV......
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 10:18:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
... YMMV ......
View Quote

Exactly..

depends on the field I guess..

I'm in a tech field, I've had [b]6[/b]... thats SIX reviews of my resume on monster.  No contacts generated at all thru them.

however, the gf, in the medical field, has had about 100, and several job offers.

Now, [url=http://www.careerbuilder.com]Careerbuilder.com[/url], had been the most "productive" for me out of all of them.
Lots of employeer activity on it.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 10:23:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 11:05:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Unfortunately Monster is my Bread&Butter.  There is something to be said for making money from the anti-gunners and using that money to buy guns and ammo.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 11:38:43 AM EDT
[#11]
I got the job that I have now through Monster. I don't like supporting the company but they have the most job listings. When you are out of work, political ideologies don't mean a goddamned thing.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 11:57:22 AM EDT
[#12]
I've been a Technical and Corporate Recruiter for 20+ years now off and on.  Monster is the big 800 pound gorilla.  I did get a contract job off it.

That said it is not perfect.  For example the basic search for a recruiter by location is by State.  Thats fine for smaller states, not CA.  It's been 6 years since the first time they agreed with me and said they were fixing it.  Searches start at the top of the pile and work down by the search perameters being used.  So if you are a programmer in CA you rapidly move down the stack with all the other Programmers in CA.  You might be out of the usable search range in a week or less.  If you are a widget cleaner in Oklhoma and worked for the only company using widget cleaners you might be in the range for a year, except if the one company isn't looking Oh Well.

For the searcher it is good for linking to company pages.  If the job you are looking for is relatively rare and the available labor pool is large then your chances are not good numbers wise.  I would refresh my resume periodically to get it back up to the top of the stack.

Realistically - I wouldn't look for some kinds of folks there.  Would I look for new grads in non-technical fields, non-skilled labor, lower-level blue collar trades.  New grads I can find easier at Colleges locally, the other categories tend not to be on the internet, although the numbers are getting better.  If you are a hs senior looking for a burger flipping job, don't bother.  (I've seen some, they look like they are illiterate and expecting the moon.)

Do some research and see if there are job boards for your career field.  They seem to be better than Monster for most.  Monster can be too big a lot of the time.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 12:01:28 PM EDT
[#13]
I have yet to get an interview from Monster.  However, I have had interviews through careerboard.com and hotjobs.com.  My current employer hired me off HotJobs.  Good Luck!
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 12:07:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I keep my resume on Monster and get calls from recruiters more than anything. Occasionally I will get contacted directly by direct hires, but mostly head hunters.
View Quote

Ditto.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 12:26:11 PM EDT
[#15]
I thank you all for your support of monster.com. Working together, we may finally have reasonable and common sense gun safety laws.

[img]defendliberty.com/pics/mccaintext.jpg[/img]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top