Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 12/20/2005 2:59:01 PM EDT

For folks working in a Union, have you ever participated in a Union strike?

If so, did you do so "willingly" or did your Union Bosses tell you to strike "or else"? And if so, did you also protest and picket (or even throw bricks at cars?)

If not, did you ever choose to cross a picket line and work as a "scab"?

And lastly, if you are a Union Worker, have you ever crossed anyone else's picket line (like for hotels, etc.)?

Personally, I've never gone on strike but I have crossed one of those "rent-a-picket" lines manned by illegal aliens and homeless bums holding huge "SHAME! LABOR DISPUTE" banners in order to get into a hotel in Vegas a couple times.

Workers of the world unite!!!
~ Karl Marx.

Link Posted: 12/20/2005 3:04:13 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 3:05:08 PM EDT
I'm not in a Union, but I did once cut a class 30 minutes short and cancelled my office hours for the week thanks to not being paid. I also threatened to not show up to proctor a test if my check didn't come.

It came. But only that one all year. The rest are supposedly lost in Invoice Processing.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 3:12:03 PM EDT

Originally Posted By The_Beer_Slayer:
We are not union but our company policy is we will not cross a pickett line unless police or security is onsite to service a customers equipment. We really leave it up to our techs judgement for thier safety. Several yeras ago we have a techs car get almost destroyed when he entered a location to service a pc while a strike was ongoing.

frankly if they are peaceful i don't worry about it. when confronted i do make my duties known to them and if any hostile intent is percieved i will leave. i am not going to shoot some union dumbass over a computer system.

Funny, but there ARE union dumbasses out there willing to risk being shot for their Union Bosses.

Link Posted: 12/20/2005 3:13:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/20/2005 3:14:25 PM EDT by Ardenner]
Unions are killing this country. It is ridiculous that dock workers in California make 100K-150K a year. It is ridiculous that Ford and GM can't stay competitive in their home market with the Asian auto makers. Unions hurt the people they are supposed to protect. UAW can thanks themselves when the US economy is overshadowed by the Asian “economic tigers.” When they are at home receiving a welfare check and wondering why they have no jobs maybe it will hit them that they screwed themselves.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 3:17:43 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 3:20:28 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 3:22:16 PM EDT
FWIW-

I work most of the year doing Labor Dispute security.

Union term for us is "Goons", though, the new generation just
calls us scabs because we cross the line, though, we don't take anyone's jobs.

There are more and more union people willing to cross picket lines.

In LA during the Grocery strike, I was working a distro center in
Brea. The Teamsters honored the UFCW picket line there for about a week, and, then
told them to take the line down or they would start to cross.

But, even more and more Teamsters (last of the old school) will cross.

Note: In Philly, this does not hold true. Philadelphia County, that is. Bucks
Co is a world of difference.

You would not believe some of the antics I see on the picket line.

People believe being on strike gives them a "dummy" license.

Then they are upset when we get them on video and get thier ass restrained or locked up.

In Portland a few years back the Teamsters were picketing the hotel we were staying at
because the company was hiring replacments there.

One group in particular chose to dog me all day verbally, threatening me with harm, blah blah.

I went to my room after my shift and, put on my boots, jeans, and, cap, and, walked out.

My boss looked at me and said: "You're not going to do anything stupid are you?"

I looked at him and, smiled. I walked out of the hotel, right by the group of guys and paused there.

They pretended not to notice and, all looked away from me.

Punks.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 3:22:16 PM EDT
Have I ever gone on Shrike? WTF?

Link Posted: 12/20/2005 3:26:27 PM EDT

Originally Posted By The_Macallan:

We are not union but our company policy is we will not cross a pickett line unless police or security is onsite to service a customers equipment. We really leave it up to our techs judgement for thier safety. Several yeras ago we have a techs car get almost destroyed when he entered a location to service a pc while a strike was ongoing.

frankly if they are peaceful i don't worry about it. when confronted i do make my duties known to them and if any hostile intent is percieved i will leave. i am not going to shoot some union dumbass over a computer system.

Funny, but there ARE union dumbasses out there willing to risk being shot for their Union Bosses.

i have encountered more than a few down here. DUMBASS redneck syndrome is pretty much rampant on pickett lines down here when it happens.

That's odd. I don't work many strikes in RTW states, but, usually the further south you go,
the less sypathy union asshattery gets from the po-po.

I Racine, WI though, we got a picket on tape keying a PD van. Photoman saw the video, as I was working at his jobsite. The cops hooked her up for keying another car. Boy, were they fumeing mad when I showed them the video and, audio.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 3:27:04 PM EDT
Done a "informational" picket off duty, but as most public safety, we can't (and to me, shouldn't)
strike
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 3:27:23 PM EDT
Once, Was just a deal to get inventory #'s down
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 3:34:38 PM EDT
The only strike I nearly went on was with a company that laid me off two weeks before the strike. I moved to Toronto, became an apprentice motorcycle mechanic and worked as a skilled tradesman for nearly twenty years until changing to my present job.

As far as I know, that strike went on until the company closed. Something like four years.

Yeah, unions are great.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 3:34:46 PM EDT
5 choice polls do NOT work correctly.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 5:17:37 PM EDT
I didnt vote in the poll- you didnt have a choice to reflect my experience.

It was 1997, and I was a truck loader at UPS in Harrisburg, PA. They called for a strike. Myself and a few guys I was in school with crossed to get our paychecks for the previous week. On our way out, the guys in the line stopped us and asked why we weren't out picketting. I told the guy I was kind of enjoying the time off and didn't want to mess up my new afternoon fishing schedule standing in a picket line.

Man, did I get the dirty looks for that.
Where I work now hasnt striked in recent history. When they do, Im job hunting. They have a lot of free training invested in me.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 7:53:15 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Goonboss:
FWIW-

I work most of the year doing Labor Dispute security.

Union term for us is "Goons", though, the new generation just
calls us scabs because we cross the line, though, we don't take anyone's jobs.

There are more and more union people willing to cross picket lines.

In LA during the Grocery strike, I was working a distro center in
Brea.
The Teamsters honored the UFCW picket line there for about a week, and, then
told them to take the line down or they would start to cross.

But, even more and more Teamsters (last of the old school) will cross.

Note: In Philly, this does not hold true. Philadelphia County, that is. Bucks
Co is a world of difference.

You would not believe some of the antics I see on the picket line.

People believe being on strike gives them a "dummy" license.

Then they are upset when we get them on video and get thier ass restrained or locked up.

In Portland a few years back the Teamsters were picketing the hotel we were staying at
because the company was hiring replacments there.

One group in particular chose to dog me all day verbally, threatening me with harm, blah blah.

I went to my room after my shift and, put on my boots, jeans, and, cap, and, walked out.

My boss looked at me and said: "You're not going to do anything stupid are you?"

I looked at him and, smiled. I walked out of the hotel, right by the group of guys and paused there.

They pretended not to notice and, all looked away from me.

Punks.

You weren't on Puente St, were you? That's about 3 blocks from my house. (That's why I don't store SHTF food at home, Ild take the kids wagon up there and stock up.

Weather is still n the mid-60's and no rain yet. Much nicer weather than last year.

I was a Retail Clerk and those idiots wanted to strike one summer while I was in college. I didn't overly care because I was in NROTC and 8 weeks of "work" anyway, and my small chain were sweethearts who didn't strike. Was on management in HR when our Shop Unions were talking about striking at Hughes. Cooler heads prevailed. When are the union folks going to realize that most union officers have theior political agenda as there goal and not the workers best interests.

I can't think of any strike where the workers didn't lose in the long run.

70 years ago, maybe they were needed, but 70 year old thinking and strategies ain't working now.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 7:59:19 PM EDT
nope...only had one union job for about a year....as far as i could tell all the union did was collect dues
Top Top