Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 2/13/2013 7:28:44 AM EDT
I'm having a hard time wrapping my mind around how that works. I've never fainted from anything or been knocked out so the concept is one I have a hard time understanding. What's it like? Can you even remember it?
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 7:32:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Passed out from pain once but never from shock.
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 7:33:43 AM EDT
[#2]
nope. I've always wondered too.

ETA: I have been present when it's happened to someone else. Twice. (same guy)

I have a buddy that's not a fan of Blood. We were in a piercing studio giving support to a chick we knew in college; she was getting her navel pierced. She starts expressing how much it hurts as the guy is starting to push through, and POP! the needle goes through & she squeals a bit. As he starts feeding the jewelery through behind the needle I hear **CRASH**  and my buddy passes out & straight leg tips over into the mini blinds next to us.

Fast forward 3-4 years and he's standing behind me as the best man in my wedding... in the sun, knees locked..  "ummm I don't feel..."  And..out.  That was 10 1/2 years ago & he still hears about that one from various friends & family members.
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 7:33:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Nope.

I have heard that if you're suddenly rendered unconscious (as from a blow to the head), you won't remember anything about it or anything from several seconds to a couple of minutes beforehand.  Your brain has to convert memories from short-term to long-term storage, and if you're knocked out, that process is interrupted, so you'll have a memory gap.

Link Posted: 2/13/2013 7:35:49 AM EDT
[#4]
No. But what made me almost faint was the pain...when i squeezed my shattered elbow bone fragments together
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 7:36:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 7:37:15 AM EDT
[#6]
I got in a bad car accident and got knocked the fuck out. It was not an awesome experience for sure. I actually dont really remember most of the day that the accident happened, apparently a common symptom of a bad concussion. I remember waking up and being confused as shit as to where I was and what was going on around me. I couldn't lock onto anything, its like I was moving at 50% speed while everything else was at 200% speed. Its weird.
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 7:39:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Well I know if it's from pain or a head would most people have no memory, but to faint from shock is just such an odd proposition to me. Like you just won the lottery or you found out someone died, nothing physical just "oh shit" then you go
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 7:40:55 AM EDT
[#8]
I've nearly fainted from fear when I was about 14. Felt my butt pucker and started getting tunnel vision but didn't go all the way out. It was a strange experience.

I've blacked out from getting kicked in the solar plexus and wind knocked out of me. Remember everything except when I was totally out.

I've been very nearly knocked out by being thrown and landed on my head in jujitsu. I couldn't see anything but a black background, large purple swooshes and twinkling stars for a couple minutes. It was at the end and  I was in charge of class and bowed everyone out while standing there unable to see very much at all. Still remembered everything.

That's all I got.
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 7:42:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Well I know if it's from pain or a head would most people have no memory, but to faint from shock is just such an odd proposition to me. Like you just won the lottery or you found out someone died, nothing physical just "oh shit" then you go

The physiology of it is that the adrenaline dump forces so much blook to your extremities and away from your brain, in prep for For F that you pass out.

I experience a similar thing everytime I get a hard on.

Link Posted: 2/13/2013 7:43:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The physiology of it is that the adrenaline dump forces so much blook to your extremities and away from your brain, in prep for For F that you pass out.

I experience a similar thing everytime I get a hard on.

You must have a really strong phobia of being laughed at then
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 7:44:54 AM EDT
[#11]
I was in the process of removing floor tile, the semi-flexible kind, with a putty knife and had my thumb on the blade to push down.  Well, the tile peeled up and peeled my thumb nail back to the root.

Then I tried to wash off the dirt and the water was ICE COLD.  That did it.

Link Posted: 2/13/2013 7:45:33 AM EDT
[#12]
There were two instances when I wished I could have passed out from pain.
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 7:46:27 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Nope.

I have heard that if you're suddenly rendered unconscious (as from a blow to the head), you won't remember anything about it or anything from several seconds to a couple of minutes beforehand.  Your brain has to convert memories from short-term to long-term storage, and if you're knocked out, that process is interrupted, so you'll have a memory gap.

I can be much longer than minutes...and you can re-forget...

I crashed a motorcycle at a track day and got knocked out.  I got up before the medical folks got to me and apparently told them exactly what happened...then promptly forgot all of it.  I couldn't remember what had caused my crash (other than rider error) or what I was feeling from the bike in the moments before the crash for the entire day.  My memory was entering T2 and then blank until I was in the crash truck on my way back to the pit.  

Then one of the EMT's came to check that I was ok at the end of the day and reminded me.

Link Posted: 2/13/2013 7:48:55 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I was in the process of removing floor tile, the semi-flexible kind, with a putty knife and had my thumb on the blade to push down.  Well, the tile peeled up and peeled my thumb nail back to the root.

Then I tried to wash off the dirt and the water was ICE COLD.  That did it.

Yeesh... I ripped off my pinky toenail when I was a kid. That SUCKED.

Actually that just reminded me I was knocked out when I was a kid. The neighbors german shepard jumped his fence and chased me down, jumped on me, bit my ass and the force of the knockdown slid me into a fencepost and knocked me out. I woke up later in the living room and my dad had bought me a new RC race car set and set it up. We lived an hour out of town and he still had time to set it up for me so apparently I was out for awhile... Fuck I forgot about that
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 7:50:12 AM EDT
[#15]
Knocked out in karate class. Passed out - no.
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 7:50:58 AM EDT
[#16]
I'd probably be more likely to just have a heart attack
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 7:51:38 AM EDT
[#17]
Once hit my head on a diving board and was briefly unconscious in the water.  Woke up quick enough to recover on my own and swim out.  All I remember is a black flicker, like someone switched the lights off then back on real quick like.  Mild concussion from that one.  That's what getting knocked out feels like.

I generally have no problem with blood, but every now and then it can get to me.  The closest I've ever been to fainting was a post-deployment blood draw where the cute nurse took 4 vials and I watched the blood flow.  I lost color vision and tunneled pretty hard.  The whole world started sounding tinny and my brain felt like it was slogging through molasses.  I was conscious and aware, just dull, for lack of a better word.  I was able to communicate, even though I was white as a ghost.  I sat it out and the nurse handed me a Coke to sort of jump start everything again.  It snapped me back pretty fast.  I gave up the idea of asking her out after that.

I've rendered first aid to folks with deep tissue lacerations on a couple occasions and had no problems, but when my wife needed to have an IV put in her hand and the tech couldn't get it I needed to lie down.  
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 7:53:53 AM EDT
[#18]
I was burned badly about 10 years ago and went into mild shock at the hospital.  The burns were over my entire face but also caused problems with my lungs.  I was on morphine at the time, but I remember not being able to keep my eyes open and they kept worrying me to stay awake.  Eventually I passed out several times but they got me stabilized quickly. They sent me to the ICU at the burn center overnight because they weren't sure of the damage done to my lungs, luckily it wasn't too bad.

Not long after that I watched a friend go into shock after loosing lots of blood in an ATV accident.  He just went pale and started to loose the ability to stay awake.  The doctors said they had to give him 6 units of blood at the hospital to get him stabilized.  That was much more serious.  Thank God he survived.

ETA: Talking about circulatory shock: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shock_(circulatory) not psychological shock.
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 7:56:42 AM EDT
[#19]
Not from shock, but about 5 hours into a tattoo session, when the artist was inking an extremely painful spot, some people said that for about a minute I stopped showing any sign of pain and was looking around, but it was pretty obvious that nobody was home.
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 7:59:51 AM EDT
[#20]
I straight up panic fainted once.  I was about 8 or 9.  I was walking down our gravel drive after getting off the bus with my backpack on.  Our dog, Biscuit, ambushed me.  He was a St. Bernard / GSD mix, so he was NOT little.  He raced up and jumped with his mouth wide open.  He did not bite, but his mouth went over the left side of my face, so the last two visuals I remember are teeth and throat coming at my face and then the world rotating backwards.  The lights were out when I hit the ground, but my backpack protected my back, but I do remember the back of my head impacting some sharp stones, just a little.  I woke a couple seconds later and the dog was just standing there with a dumb look on its face.
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 8:00:55 AM EDT
[#21]
Does 220 volts count?  
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 8:02:10 AM EDT
[#22]
I passed out while horsing around with a buddy in the pool a few years back. He got me in a good head lock, cut the blood flow to my brain for a few seconds. I just remember coming to a few seconds later face down in the water.
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 8:02:28 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Does 220 volts count?  

Hell no, 240 just pisses me off REALLY bad
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 8:02:36 AM EDT
[#24]
One of three times this has happened to me. Two of those times was from the blunt trauma to the head but the other was what I think you're looking for.

I cut one of my fingers really, really bad in an accident that nearly took the tip off by means of crushing and cutting at the same time. On top of that my tendon was cut 99% of the way closer to my palm but my whole hand was a freaken bloody glob so I had no idea what I had actually done. Now before you start going on about me being some type of little girl about the whole thing let me tell you, I've been stitched up and broken about as many bones as Mr. Knievel himself and never had this happen before.

Friend is driving me to the hospital, I'm fully aware of what's going on and even telling him which hospital is close to our location. Maybe after about 5 minutes of being in the car and roughly 10min after accident it started happening. I suddenly felt light headed and my eyes started seeing what I can only describe as black snow. The dark snow got heavier and heavier until it was a blackout and that was that. Don't remember shit from that point on and didn't wake up until my finger was just about done being put back together. The experience really freaked me out though because had I been by myself I would have just jumped in the car and drove myself. Even worse, had I been in a remote area and done something like that, I would have been completely screwed. Shock vs being knocked out are two separate animals for sure.
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 8:04:37 AM EDT
[#25]
In 6th grade, one of the other boys in the class passed out during during a sex ed film.
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 8:09:24 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

In 6th grade, one of the other boys in the class passed out during during a sex ed film.

I bet he wasn't ridiculed at all for that one...

Link Posted: 2/13/2013 8:15:30 AM EDT
[#27]
Passed out three times in my life (other than from drinking ).

1st time I electrocuted myself trying to remove a broken oven light bulb.
2nd time I passed out after resetting my little toe that I broke on the coffee table.
3rd time I passed out from pain from two extruded disks in my lower back.
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 8:16:33 AM EDT
[#28]

When I broke my hand in about 8-9 places. I got up and just wanted to rest by the truck. I stood next to the truck and rested my head on the window. Next thing I know my dad is a million miles away yelling "Wake up, Cholla!!"

The guys there said I was out before I started to fall. Smacked my head on the truck and tire on the way down.
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 8:23:42 AM EDT
[#29]
I had my tonsils removed at an out-patient clinic when I was about 25.  

They cauterized the incisions instead of stitching.  My parents gave me a ride home after the surgery since I was super groggy.  Later that day, while I was  home alone, I started bleeding -- a lot.  

A lot was going down my throat to my stomach and I'd just throw that up in the sink.  The rest was just flowing out of my mouth.

I called my dad and calmly told him that I thought I was bleeding to death and could he come over and give me a ride to the ER.  It took him and my sister a bit to get there and they were in shock when they saw me.  The entire kitchen was covered in blood and blood was just running down my front.  I was the only calm one there.  

When I reached the ER they immediately gave me a big shot of morphine so that they could stitch up my throat.  That was lights out for me.  The combination of blood loss and morphine and I was dead to this world.

Spent a couple of days in the hosptial getting blood.  I can't remember how many units but they had a bag hanging for two days.

After it was all over I got my butt chewed out by dad for not letting him know how much I was bleeding when I called him.  I explained to him that I did tell him I was bleeding to death but I was so calm about it he thought I was just kidding.  That's the way I've always been though, the worse the situation the calmer I get.
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 8:25:26 AM EDT
[#30]
I passed out once while trying to give plasma. My blood sugar was too low.

I remember feeling it coming on, thinking... "here it comes" then waking up with my face on the table.
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 8:26:35 AM EDT
[#31]
Never fainted, never knocked out.  Have passed out a few times from drinking, but that's about it.

Link Posted: 2/13/2013 8:26:39 AM EDT
[#32]
I think I passed out from shock at some point in this thread:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1440423_Michelle_Jenneke_in_a_Bikini.html
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 8:28:40 AM EDT
[#33]
Twice. Got knocked the fuq out in a fight once and got knocked the fuq out in a motorcycle accident once. No big deal. You just take a little nappy-nap
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 8:31:14 AM EDT
[#34]

Why did I read this as "Have you ever farted from shock?"
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 8:33:02 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 8:33:34 AM EDT
[#36]
one of the times I broke my arm, I looked down at my arm and saw the nasty break, I got really light headed, started to see black spots and thought I was going down hard. So I sat down, did a little controlled breathing and I came out of it. Drove myself to the hospital driving a 5spd with a broken arm, that wasn't pleasant.
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 8:37:06 AM EDT
[#37]

Assuming you are talking about blows to the head, yes, twice.
The first I was 9 or 10, and fell off a twirly slide at school during recess.
I had leaned over to see if there was anyone at the bottom and kept on going.

I do not remember a sensation of falling, just seeing bits and pieces of the slide on the way down.
Woke up breathing O2 inside the school, a teacher had carried me in.
Had a broken arm, bad black eye, and a concussion.

The second I was stopped for construction traffic on an expressway.  The quad cab chevy towing a 30' fifth wheel camper didn't slow down and I got rearended at 50mph.
The Taurus I was in hit the car in front of me, and pushed that car into a tractor trailer combo in the next lane.
I remember looking in the mirror and thinking "He ain't stopping."
I remember a vague feeling of being pushed hard, accelerated all at once, and hearing some sort of crunch.
I remember a few very faint details after that, like thinking to myself "someone will help, just stay put" and seeing the afternoon sky somehow.

After the crash I was lucid enough to tell someone my wife's phone number, but don't remember talking to her.  I told her that I was in a wreck and going to the hospital.  Don't remember it at all.
The paramedics eventually showed up and I woke up in the ambulance.  They said I was completely unresponsive when they showed up.  Overall I don't remember about 45 minutes from the impact to being in the ambulance on the way to the hospital.

I was in the room at the hospital and the dial clock on the wall said 6:30.  I finally decided it must have been 6:30 PM because I remembered the setting sun before the crash.
Had no clue what day it was, what I was doing, or where I was going.  My wife had to remind me of all that.

It turned out when I went to get some things out of the car that my head had broken the headrest and smashed one of the rods right out of the seat.  The front of the back seat was pushed right up against the back of the front seats, and the trunk was smashed up against all that.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 8:46:35 AM EDT
[#38]
I had an enclosed compound fracture of my humerus that put me into shock pretty good. Didn't pass out but I was not all there for sure.
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 8:53:05 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same here.

The second time was much easier, wasn't it?

TRG
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 8:59:54 AM EDT
[#40]
Not yet, but we haven't done our taxes yet either.
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 9:02:06 AM EDT
[#41]
I've been knocked out a couple of times as the result of blows to the head, but haven't passed out by other means.

I very nearly fainted during a high school field trip to funeral home when they were showing the table where they embalm corpses. I suddenly felt very ill, started sweating like crazy and could barely stay on my feet. I walked/stumbled out and sat down for a while, then I was fine. I'm not sure why it got to me, because I had butchered animals and been to funerals before that happened and was fine, and there wasn't even a dead body there. Years later I told my brother about it, and he had the same experience during his field trip to the funeral home.
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 9:21:44 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same here.

TRG

lol, set myself up on that one didn't I
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 9:22:48 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same here.

TRG

Think they had a mouth full of pillow?
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 9:26:59 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same here.

TRG

Well they had a mouthful of somethin
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 9:33:38 AM EDT
[#45]
When my wife was getting an epidural for our first kid the nurse shoved a chair into the back of my legs as I was standing to comfort her.
I guess the guys pass out from watching their wives get a needle stick. I kicked the chair away and another nurse came running in and thought I had passed out and fell down?
I would think that they would ask first if you were afraid of needles or something before they assault you with a chair. They said it was really common. I dunno I find that abit hard to believe. A few people sure but enough to put a chair behind every guy. Seems silly.

we had some of the most competent and then the most nurses through out our maternity experience

Link Posted: 2/13/2013 9:34:35 AM EDT
[#46]
I have blacked out a few times. You start to feel weak and get tunnel vision. You can tell its coming and better lay down quick. If you dont its lights out for a bit and you wake up on the floor.
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 9:34:48 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Same here.

Ditto.

Link Posted: 2/13/2013 9:36:06 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same here.

TRG

Prof had a mouthful of goose down...

TRG
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 9:36:43 AM EDT
[#49]
No, never
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 9:41:49 AM EDT
[#50]
Yes, I have fainted from shock.

Was standing there trying to work a piece of metal out from under my skin, everything felt fuzzy, then I woke up on the floor.

Didn't even hurt.

Then I did it again one more time.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top