Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 9/28/2004 6:12:30 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/28/2004 6:13:02 PM EST by hamptonyellowdog]
I have had a lot of trouble with my pistol work recently. I am always shooting low left. So with a change of the grip and some trigger control exercises, with snap caps, I've improved. Recently I noticed on my Glock 17 that the slide stopped locking back upon finishing a mag. I figured hell it is only 6mnths old I'll take it back to the gun shop. So I'm in the shop and the assistant manager says "show me your grip" so I give him my new improved Rob Lethum (the guy that shoots for springfield and has a instructional video and is on that show american shooter) stance/grip. THe guy looks at me and says this "heh your right thumb is on the slide action release" "change your grip and if it still does it let me know and we will send it back" I FELT LIKE A DUMB ASS! So I went to the range and sure enough my thumb was hitting the slide action release and was letting the slide move forward on the empty mag.

Has anyone else done something this dumb?
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 6:15:09 PM EST
Sorry, no. i have put mags in backwards before though.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 6:22:26 PM EST
Don't think I've done anything quite like that. I have lost track of tiny little springs while detail stripping before. Feels kinda dumb to think about not being able to use your gun because you can't find that trigger return spring.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 6:25:06 PM EST
I shot a few rounds a .357 without ear protection once

My ears hurt really bad afterwards and rang for a couplea days.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 6:27:34 PM EST

Originally Posted By byron2112:

I've done that too. I got free lunch one time from my buddy. He didnt think I would fire his Desert Eagle without hearing protection.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 6:30:33 PM EST
Not me, but my uncle wouldn't believe me that he should use ear protection when shooting the Cetme. One shot cleared his thinking.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 6:31:38 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/28/2004 6:31:58 PM EST by _Ugly_]
Shot a big 'ol can of Bushes baked beans from about 20 ft with a 300 Win Mag for the fun of it.

Baked beans fucking hurt at 100mph, and the coverage is absolutely amazing at that range.

(The guy I was standing next to,... wasn't amused).
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 6:36:02 PM EST
Oh I did forget to add that ....Yes a Glock 37(9mm) will fire .380 ammo......not well but it will do it.
I asked my Dad why his brand new gun was making a key hole in the paper targets and he asked me why it keeps having FTF FTE. Now he wears his glasses when he loads his mags. Getting old is a bitch
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 6:36:29 PM EST

Have you ever done anything stupid with your rifle or pistol?

Yes. I sold one of each, once upon a time.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 7:23:17 PM EST

Shot a big 'ol can of Bushes baked beans from about 20 ft with a 300 Win Mag for the fun of it.

I'm still laughing
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 7:36:20 PM EST
Once when my unit came in from an asskicker of a field exercise, we were cleaning our weapons in the common area. We were done for the night, so they told us to turn our weapons in for the night. I was so exhausted, I reassembled my rifle without putting the buffer and buffer spring in.

It's a weird feeling when you pull the charging handle back for a function check and you hear the bolt carrier go thunk into the buffer tube.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 7:36:45 PM EST
I had the same problem with the slide release, but I did figure it out.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 7:41:11 PM EST
I tried to hammer in a tent stake with my AR15 butt once.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 7:42:26 PM EST

Originally Posted By XJ:

I'm still laughing

Me too!
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 7:43:58 PM EST

Originally Posted By _Ugly_:

Baked beans fucking hurt at 100mph, and the coverage is absolutely amazing at that range.

Link Posted: 9/28/2004 7:48:10 PM EST
sold my S&W model 29 to pawn shop and got squat, I was desperate but I still kick myself in the head for that bonehead deal
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 7:49:49 PM EST

Originally Posted By twonami:
sold my S&W model 29 to pawn shop and got squat, I was desperate but I still kick myself in the head for that bonehead deal

I still have my model 29. And I will never do what you did.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 7:51:37 PM EST

That was me and I was not!!
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 7:51:45 PM EST

Originally Posted By clean_cut:

don't remind me, I think I'm gonna vomit
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 7:51:46 PM EST

you aint got nothin on me, I once shot my M44 7.62X54R without earplugs once on accident and I have never been the same since
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 7:53:55 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 7:58:55 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/28/2004 8:17:41 PM EST by _Ugly_]

Originally Posted By Fat_McNasty:

That was me and I was not!!

I did say, "here hold my beer and watch this!" You shoulda ducked! (Okay, I didn't say it... but I should have).
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 8:14:11 PM EST
I was in a tactical shotgun class and the instructor was teaching off-side barrier roll outs and I couldn't see down the barrel to the intended target....

Until the instructor told me to close my dominant eye and open my weak side eye...I felt like such a dumbass!
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 8:17:10 PM EST

Originally Posted By Combat_Jack:

I've done that too. I got free lunch one time from my buddy. He didnt think I would fire his Desert Eagle without hearing protection.

Hearing for pussys. I prefer a nice 30.06 myself. But can't stand more then 5 shots before I want to go home
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 8:17:15 PM EST

Originally Posted By Az_Redneck:
I was in a tactical shotgun class and the instructor was teaching off-side barrier roll outs and I couldn't see down the barrel to the intended target....

Until the instructor told me to close my dominant eye and open my weak side eye...I felt like such a dumbass!

Did that once with a .22 when I was about 13. Felt like an idiot.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 8:25:14 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 8:37:27 PM EST
Shot my house. Fortunately I live in a stone house.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 8:47:47 PM EST

Originally Posted By M4_Aiming_at_U:
Blew a hole in the rear cargo area of my SUV and through the gas tank twice with an AK-74.

There are plenty of ARFCOM witness.

Hmm.....why haven't I heard about this one before? Or did I? (was this at BF?)
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 8:53:16 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 8:55:24 PM EST
Please do
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 8:57:48 PM EST

Originally Posted By Combat_Jack:
Sorry, no. i have put mags in backwards before though.

+1

I just got a few 20 rounders for the AR the other day and was pissed for about a minute that they didn't fit. yep, I was trying to push 'em in backwards.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 9:06:59 PM EST
A buddy and I were standing outside of his pick-up when he showed me his new handgun. It was a 38spl derringer a guy had given him as payment for a small welding job. We both agreed it was a POS. He said "Yea, it probably wouldn't even go through the side of my truck". As soon as he said it I knew what was going to happen next. He stepped back and put a round through the truck door. Unfortunately the truck window was rolled down inside the door. It didn't penetrate the full door, but it damned sure went through one side and the window inside that door.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 6:18:11 AM EST

Originally Posted By FanoftheBlackRifle:

Blew a hole in the rear cargo area of my SUV and through the gas tank twice with an AK-74.

There are plenty of ARFCOM witness.

Hmm.....why haven't I heard about this one before? Or did I? (was this at BF?)

Nope I never posted what happened. Maybe I should.....

Tell us!!! +1
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 6:25:54 AM EST

Originally Posted By clean_cut:

don't remind me, I think I'm gonna vomit

You're not alone...

629 Classic w/ 6-1/2" SS full underlug... I won't say how much I let it go for, but it was a loss in the hundreds.

Luckily- I replaced it with a 29-2 w/ a 4" barrel and deep blue. I'll never let that one go, EVER.

Sly
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 6:43:40 AM EST
I was tightening down a scope mount when I applied pressure in the wrong direction with the screwdriver. The blade slipped out of the head and scratched my receiver! (KICK HEAD)
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 6:55:03 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/29/2004 6:55:52 AM EST by hamptonyellowdog]
I let my friend use my Glock last month at the range and he dropped it in the sand. I just recently purchased a knight's SR15 M4 with a aimpoint on a arms 22M68 +spacer. I went to the range with the same friend and he asked if he could try my M4 and I looked at him laughed and said NO!
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 6:57:41 AM EST
Fired about 2500 blanks out of an M-249 over the course of 2 hours during MOUT training without hearing protection. That night I went to the corpsman, who called me a dumbass, and told me I had a concussion.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 6:58:31 AM EST
I was at the range and had both my 45 Glock and 10mm Glock .... I mistakenly inserted the 10mm mag into my 45 .. it fired and scored nearly a bullseye at 25 yards. The case was bulged, but not ruptured. No damage to the pistol at all ....
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 7:46:26 AM EST

Originally Posted By Quien:
Fired about 2500 blanks out of an M-249 over the course of 2 hours during MOUT training without hearing protection. That night I went to the corpsman, who called me a dumbass, and told me I had a concussion.

Brother, I've been there, done that, and got the hearing damage to prove it. Except I was using live rounds.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 7:46:59 AM EST
While I was station in Virginia, I brandish my pistol to a gal she about pissed herself. That was the stupidest thing I’ve ever done with a pistol or rifle. I felt like shit for weeks. From that point on I learned when some one ask ya “What’s that?” Don’t show them your carry.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 4:09:43 PM EST
Bushy P97 pistol in a building w/o ear protection. I was shooting at a bird in a light and it was loud. 8.5' celing, 20'x30' room. After the shot, I felt something on my ear, it was blood. A piece of the lense on the light cut my ear. And I didnt need a follow up shot, or wanted to.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 4:24:53 PM EST
Was firing warning shots from the bow with the .50. I had the foam earplugs that are attatched by the plastic cord. Well, the cord got caught on the neck of my body armor and it pulled out the left side plug. Probably had time to put it back but I just stayed on the spade grip for a good 30 seconds, hesitent and just when I decided I should have time to put it back in I had to fire. Had left ear damage before from lots of hunting but now it really can be heard when all's quiet. Sounds like fVkin crickets cherping (I love that sound, just not in january in my house!)
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 6:09:25 PM EST

Originally Posted By RABID:
Was firing warning shots from the bow with the .50. I had the foam earplugs that are attatched by the plastic cord. Well, the cord got caught on the neck of my body armor and it pulled out the left side plug. Probably had time to put it back but I just stayed on the spade grip for a good 30 seconds, hesitent and just when I decided I should have time to put it back in I had to fire. Had left ear damage before from lots of hunting but now it really can be heard when all's quiet. Sounds like fVkin crickets cherping (I love that sound, just not in january in my house!)

I never had that problem firing the 50, but holy crap i never again want to stand to the side of one being fired!
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 6:23:28 PM EST
Those who know me, know to put their ears in about a block before we get to the range.

I tend to start shooting without checking to see if folks have their ears on.

One time I shot at a steel plate that was about 15 yards away from myself and a buddy. My buddy got hit with some jacket material in the chin.........
Top Top