Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 3/16/2011 8:43:24 PM EST
Is changing combination numbers on a gunsafe dial that difficult?
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 8:49:53 PM EST
electrical or mechanical?

neither is real difficult

electronic just follow the manual

if mechanical call the company that made it and get the little tool key that goes into the back of the lock and follow the instructions
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 8:55:53 PM EST
Its a Sargent & Greenleaf key-locked dial. But mine is fire-proofed, so I cant locate any access point to the spot where the little key goes into. Any ideas?

Local locksmith said they cant sell me that key. Will the maker of the safe sell me one?
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 9:00:21 PM EST
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 9:02:04 PM EST

Originally Posted By lockedandloaded:
Its a Sargent & Greenleaf key-locked dial. But mine is fire-proofed, so I cant locate any access point to the spot where the little key goes into. Any ideas?

Local locksmith said they cant sell me that key. Will the maker of the safe sell me one?

I have a Zanotti they have a S&G knock off lock I believe

Mine started getting sloppy and I had to go 1/2 to a full number past the combo # and jiggle with it to get it open

I called them and they sent me the key and the instructions on how to do it
I just reset it back to the old combo but the process was the same

you have to take the backing off the door and get to the back of the lock and door mechanism inside the door
even on a fire safe I think they are just screwed on
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 9:11:23 PM EST

Originally Posted By lockedandloaded:
Will the maker of the safe sell me one?

You can buy them on ebay. Just make sure you get the right one for your lock.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 9:15:55 PM EST
The video is helpful, and yes, you do have to take off the backing from inside the door to access the back of the lock and mechanism inside the door. You can then change the dial combination to three new numbers, or you can even change it so that it only requires one number to open.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 9:34:06 PM EST
Thx all. I found some plastic caps that covered the fireproof backing.
Top Top