Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/25/2005 7:41:10 PM EDT
Since we all know only pussies don't drive SUVs, has anyone started to consider being a pussy since these gas prices have been going crazy?
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 7:41:52 PM EDT
Nope.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 7:42:39 PM EDT
Only confirmed my desires to own a motorcycle. In true ARFCOM tradition, GET BOTH!.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 7:42:39 PM EDT

Originally Posted By jquillen1985:
Since we all know only pussies don't drive SUVs, has anyone started to consider being a pussy since these gas prices have been going crazy?

wtf
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 7:46:10 PM EDT
Damn Straight I'm thinking seriously of down sizing. The Big V-8 is nice, but NOT necessary. My SUV eats $60.00 per Tank. Hungry - too darn hungry. Next vehicle will be 6 cylinders since I'm not towing anything anyway.

FORD, GM and must be absolutely dieing right now. There ONLY significant profit center in vehicals is TRUCKS and SUV's. My understanding is that this market is absolutely horrible right now.

At $3.00/gal of gas, I can spend money on other things besides the sound of "varoom" of a V8.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 7:46:31 PM EDT
Yes, gas prices have changed my thinking about vehicles. Instead of getting some pussy 1/2 ton with a gas engine I'm going for the 3/4 ton with a deisel.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 7:48:32 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 7:49:00 PM EDT
YES!

I currently have a 1999 F-250 with a 6.8 liter V10 Gas engine in it. I own a landscaping business and pull an 8x20 enclosed trailer 5-6 day's a week. Roughly $600-$800 a month in Gas.

I'm getting ready to buy a 2004 F-250 Diesel and a new 2006 F-350 Diesel to replace the one F-250 with the gasser.

Link Posted: 9/25/2005 7:49:30 PM EDT
Yes, my 6 cyclinder SUV just died (230k miles) and I bought a 4 cyclinder. Might not be able to tow anything but it's pretty damn fast. Pussy? Perhaps, but less gas = more money for guns.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 7:49:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/25/2005 7:50:39 PM EDT by uglygun]
I still want a 5ton 6x6 surplus truck.

Never would have been a daily driver, just a camping and off roading mule from hell.

More realistically speaking, I'm looking for something like a 93-97 Cherokee Laredo. If gas prices keep going up and people start dumping the big engined stuff for cheap, I may pick one up to park it and use as an occasional recreational vehicle.

I currently drive a 2 wheel drive Ranger with 3.0, I get SHIT gas mileage cause I drive like it was stolen. If gas goes up much more my driving habits might very well change.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 7:54:01 PM EDT
Sold my old Wrangler a few years ago. Bought and drove a few replacements that just didn't give me the same driving enjoyment. Bought another Wrangler a couple of months ago. Right now driving enjoyment is a little higher on the list than gas mileage.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 7:54:04 PM EDT
No, in fact I went and looked at a used H1 today. The guy is having a hard time moving it with the fuel concerns abound
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 8:07:14 PM EDT
SO? Only pussies drive gas efficient cars? Well i hope you bestest buddy Capitalism will bitch slap you with $5.00 a gal. !! You'll be crying like a bitch, And i'll be driving my euro-car to get a sammich. Sucka!
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 8:08:50 PM EDT

Sounds like someone has a small winkie.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 8:11:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/25/2005 8:12:23 PM EDT by TREETOP]
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 8:12:33 PM EDT
It has to the point that I may want 1 car jsut for work, no matter the condition, but gets great gas mileage
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 8:48:16 PM EDT
Nope, in fact I figure this is just the time to drive a deal on a new SUV because the dealers can't move them (because of the gas prices).

Link Posted: 9/25/2005 8:50:18 PM EDT
I bought a car for work.
I'd always wanted a Jeep, but ended up going with an almost new Saturn.

That gets, on last long trip, 37 MPG. That's what sold me.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 8:52:12 PM EDT
I ride my motorcycle more often now.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 9:14:20 PM EDT

No because I dont suffer from the same penis envy as you apparently do
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 9:35:09 PM EDT
I parked the GMC Savannah and drive a Prius 100 miles per day. I save about $300 per month. That sounds SMART. I use the Savannah when I need to haul a lot of people or lumber (which I did today). Sounds like I have the best of both worlds.

Calling non SUV owners names sounds a bit immature on your part. Drop the ego thing.

Plus I get to drive in the car pool lane even when driving alone. That saves me time to be with my family and doing more important things than being stuck in traffic with all those low gas mileage SUVs.

Finally, since we are all concerned about SHTF, I heard a report that one person was stuck for 30 hours on the highway leaving Houston and still had a quarter tank left. No SUV could do that.

Link Posted: 9/25/2005 9:38:38 PM EDT
No, bought a Tacoma V6 in spirng of 2003, not worth selling it and paying another $10,000 to save a few bucks for a tank of gas so I can feel smug.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 9:39:37 PM EDT

Nope... you hold down that fort for evrybody else.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 9:41:48 PM EDT
No. I can't get a whole lot more fuel efficient than my motorcycle. You people with your horribly inefficient 4-wheeled boxes and your gas-guzzling, polluting hybrids.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 9:53:05 PM EDT
I have an F-150 with the 5.4...

I wont be able to afford to fucking drive when I get back to the states....

Screw the EPA....Build some more fucking refineries..I dont give a shit if I have to live across the street from one...

Link Posted: 9/25/2005 9:59:30 PM EDT
I don't care if gas goes up to $15.00 per gallon-my wife and daughter will remain safe in my wife's V8 AWD Explorer. Her truck gets just over 13MPG, and I don't give a crap.

If I had to I'd get a third job-there will be no subcompact, fuel efficient deathtraps in my wife's future.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 10:04:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/25/2005 10:05:25 PM EDT by GTOJudge885]
yeah, I'm gonna trade in my old truck for a newer model truck cause of the good deals on em right now
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 10:04:43 PM EDT

Originally Posted By uglygun:
I still want a 5ton 6x6 surplus truck.

Never would have been a daily driver, just a camping and off roading mule from hell.

More realistically speaking, I'm looking for something like a 93-97 Cherokee Laredo. If gas prices keep going up and people start dumping the big engined stuff for cheap, I may pick one up to park it and use as an occasional recreational vehicle.

I currently drive a 2 wheel drive Ranger with 3.0, I get SHIT gas mileage cause I drive like it was stolen. If gas goes up much more my driving habits might very well change.

Do you mean Jeep Cherokee? I'm pretty sure they stopped the Laredo package in the late 80s or early 90s. '91+ has the high output engine and open cooling system. '97 is when the rounded style body change took place. '96 and '99 are the best years.

Link Posted: 9/25/2005 10:06:58 PM EDT
Prius is on order for December delivery.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 10:26:30 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Hoplophile:
Yes, gas prices have changed my thinking about vehicles. Instead of getting some pussy 1/2 ton with a gas engine I'm going for the 3/4 ton with a deisel.

What the big three need to make is a 150 hp 6 cyl 1/2 ton diesel. I tghink they could get 30 mpg or close to it.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 10:33:57 PM EDT
Nope. Still love my performance sedan. If you're not hauling lumber/concrete/potting soil, you don't need a truck/SUV.

IMO your wife/kids are just as safe in a Crown Vic as a Yukon Denali. Maybe safer, since it's less likely to flip.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 10:44:38 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Mall-Ninja:
Nope. Still love my performance sedan. If you're not hauling lumber/concrete/potting soil, you don't need a truck/SUV.

IMO your wife/kids are just as safe in a Crown Vic as a Yukon Denali. Maybe safer, since it's less likely to flip.

IMO the fuel mileage isnt much difference between the two. The last Crown Vic I drove didnt get much better mileage than my Libby.

Link Posted: 9/25/2005 11:04:22 PM EDT

Not with a foot of snow on an unplowed road in January. The Vic's traction control is still no substitute for 4WD or AWD. Even with snow tires I've driven enough CVPI's to learn that they're no picnic in the winter.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 11:07:23 PM EDT
I just dont drive much else outside or the work commute right now. Thats about it. Which is fine. More time to sleep.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 11:13:27 PM EDT

Originally Posted By CJan_NH:
Not with a foot of snow on an unplowed road in January. The Vic's traction control is still no substitute for 4WD or AWD. Even with snow tires I've driven enough CVPI's to learn that they're no picnic in the winter.

I tried going up into an elevated area in Seattle in the severe snow two years ago (?). Was a complete no-go. I am a very good driver with a lot of experience, and tried to get up in there from all sides. The Vic just couldnt do it. My LIbby would have run up the steepest side without a second thought.

Link Posted: 9/25/2005 11:17:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/25/2005 11:19:24 PM EDT by barkley-addict]
still have to go with what gets us wherever whenever. We're just limiting getting to wherever. . . .

Not certain there's any 4 x 4 that's really economical.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 11:48:07 PM EDT

hmmm...I'm not in Iraq shooting at bad guys, either. Should I sell my AR?
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 11:58:05 PM EDT

Have the gas prices changed your thinking at all about vehicles?

Gas prices? Nope.

However, hurricanes Katrina and Rita have changed my thinking about cruising range: More is DEFINITELY better!
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 12:33:22 AM EDT
One of my Daily driver rides is a POS Ford Ranger that gets 14.1mpg - It is slow, can't tow worth a damn and runs like crap. (its an 85, 20+yrs of hard abuse)

I'm thinking with people freaking about gas prices I could move up to an F150 or fullsized Bronco and get near the same mileage and have better towing potential.

BTW - last tank on my Mustang GT 5.0 V8 got 25.5mpg, still lovin that ride...
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 1:05:54 AM EDT
Nope, I drive a little British Sportscar. It gets me 30ish MPG.

That means more money for guns and ammo.

You can keep the land-yachts.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 1:36:00 AM EDT
Kept the Silverado, bought a 1100 custom
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 2:22:43 AM EDT
I drive my small car more than I used to, but otherwise, no change. I was going to sell it when I got my Accord, but could not bring myself to part with it. I should disconnect the battery on my truck, because I don't drive it enough any more to keep it charged up.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 2:29:20 AM EDT
Before gas prices rose above $2/gal, I had wanted a pickup.

Now, maybe, if its diesel, but probably just a 4-banger with good mileage.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 2:29:39 AM EDT
No change. In fact, I'm currently looking to purchase the new Mustang GT. Even with gas prices the way they are, I still have to wait like 3 months for the damn car (I'm picky, and have to order).
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 3:00:44 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Zardoz:

hmmm...I'm not in Iraq shooting at bad guys, either. Should I sell my AR?

I heard that they get their gas for .05 a gallon. It makes me wonder why they don't drive SUV out there but I though it was interesting none the less.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 3:05:55 AM EDT
nope....because a few years back, i said to myself "ya know Styk....you need a motorcycle....A: theyre fun, B: if gas prices ever get outa hand, youll be covered" so...i can still have my gas guzzling V8 powered 4x4 monster, AND have an alternate mode of transportation that is fuel efficient.

far left.....KLR....i decided to go w/ this pics showing the ATVs too, because in AZ, you can get them licensed for the street....so...yet another mode of transportation that doesnt cost a fortune to get you up into town to the general store instead of the truck.

Link Posted: 9/26/2005 3:14:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/26/2005 3:15:07 AM EDT by elkmontarms]
We have been trying to trade in our 2001 VW Jeta VR6 5 speed on any new or newer low mileage VW TDI 5 Speed for almost 6 months. We have had no luck what so ever, most of them are already sold before they even get in the dealers right now. Or the dealers are charging above retail do to the demand when you can even find them in are area. Our 2001 Gas VR6 get about 30mph on the highway and that is not bad as it is a pretty fast car but, the TDI 5speed get close to 50MPH and still have plenty of power. It's hard to beat that right now. The other hybrid cars are a nice concept but, parts are insane, you really can't work on many of them yourself for the most part and they are underpowered and very expensive for what you get. I am sure the idea will improve in the future.

I am here in Germany right now on a business trip and I here talk that VW is going to try to import the VW Polo in 2007 to the USA. If so that is outstanding. They are not a bad looking car either. The Polo is a little bigger then the old Rabbits but, they can get up to 75mpg in the turbo deisel model from what I hear. I see them all the time on the autobahn and they seem to move along just fine. If the above is true I would invest in VW because they will sell them like hot cakes in the States. I would guess they would sell in the 12,000 to 15,000 dollar range.

My wife and I car pool with each other almost 100 miles round trip a day so that is a massive savings from 30 mpg to 50+mpg. I did the math and even with a new or newer car payment it would still save us money.

I do know one thing the big 3 better get off there ass because the US car industry is being left in the dust by the advancement from Europe and Japan. It is reall sad that no US car maker makes a Turbo Diesel sedan or hatchback for Americans. I would be the first to buy one but the only option right now is foreign made cars that fit that role.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 3:15:28 AM EDT
Yeah, I will still keep my Chevy Impala and when it wears out, I will get another one..........it gets great gas mileage
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 4:14:12 AM EDT

Originally Posted By CJan_NH:

Yeah but you gotta try to explain 4wd doesn't stop any faster... Living in NY I swear most of the vehicles in a ditch in the winter are SUVs. I drove 4wd Jeep for years, but I never got stuck in my sedans either. Just don't be stupid.

It really comes down to what you need. I don't need a truck, so I'll take the money I save to buy more guns.
With current prices you can build yerself an extra AR every other month or so!
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 4:33:46 AM EDT
Well, I have no plans to switch and let me tell you why:

I have a boat and a big car trailer that I need to haul, so I need to have a decent tow vehicle around. My choice is an F150 with a 5.4 in it. It gets around 15 MPG average. Even if I added a second vehicle for all but my tow vehicle duty that got double the mileage, at 15K miles/yr, and $3/gal, I would only save $1500 in gas. $600 goes away in additional insurance for the beater, which only leaves $900 to buy the car, and that's to break even.

To save a few hundred bux per year I'm not going to crowd my driveway with an extra car, and live with an uncomfortable POS when my nice big gas guzzling truck is comfortable and safe. Sure I'll bitch about gas prices, but it'll have to hit $6/gal before I add a fuel miser to my fleet.

Link Posted: 9/26/2005 4:36:42 AM EDT

Thanks for your opinion. I'll keep my SUV to haul my children around in thanks.
We haven't changed nor we will change our vehicles due to the gas prices, we have a motorcycle MrGH can ride to work when it's nice and I have a compact car for the short runs around town. I talked to my brother yesterday, his feelings are this "if you can afford to drive it/pay the gas prices, you can drive anything you want."
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top