Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 2/23/2007 5:54:11 AM EST
I'm going down next month to take the test for Dallas and I'd like some advice on what I should study? I've been out of school for about 10 years now and want to brush up and study a little before I go down.

Also what pistols and cal does Dallas PD let you use? Thanks
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 10:32:19 AM EST
Not sure what the test covers, it's been 25 years since I took it. As I recall, just general knowledge nothing too exotic.

As for weapons, you'll be issued a Sig 226 DAK in 9mm. Sigs in .357 sig are optional at your expense after the academy. Also, Colt and RRA AR's are authorized. We have a very good week long AR school. The city is issuing RRA AR's or you can buy your own.

Officers hired after Nov 2, 1989 can only carry Sig's in .380, 9mm or .357 Sig for on duty, off duty and back ups.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 2:26:52 PM EST

Originally Posted By tayous1:
I'm going down next month to take the test for Dallas and I'd like some advice on what I should study?

Like the previous poster said, general knowledge. Grammar, basic math, spelling, vocabulary, etc. It wasn't too difficult.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 7:38:14 AM EST

Originally Posted By mike4573:
Not sure what the test covers, it's been 25 years since I took it. As I recall, just general knowledge nothing too exotic.

As for weapons, you'll be issued a Sig 226 DAK in 9mm. Sigs in .357 sig are optional at your expense after the academy. Also, Colt and RRA AR's are authorized. We have a very good week long AR school. The city is issuing RRA AR's or you can buy your own.

Officers hired after Nov 2, 1989 can only carry Sig's in .380, 9mm or .357 Sig for on duty, off duty and back ups.

Good luck!

Thanks for the info on that!

I guess there goes my hope for a 45ACP I guess! With the rifles do they have to be 5.56?
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 4:41:28 PM EST

Good luck!

I thought I've seen a number of Glock's on Officers who could not be 17 year veterans. But I could be mistaken.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 4:53:16 PM EST
Sorry, no .45's are authorized. 9mm and .357 sig for on duty/off duty/backup, .380 for off duty and backup. I dont want to start the .357 vs .40 deal especially since .40 is not authorized for us, but I love my .357 sig. I didn't transition over to the auto's until that round was authoirzed. I was toting a .357 wheel gun before. The AR's are only .223/5.56.

As to the Glocks, those must have been some young looking old heads, only sigs for the rookies. There are a few exceptions, mostly U/C guys carrying baby Glocks.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 3:44:57 AM EST

Sorry, no .45's are authorized. 9mm and .357 sig for on duty/off duty/backup, .380 for off duty and backup. I dont want to start the .357 vs .40 deal especially since .40 is not authorized for us, but I love my .357 sig. I didn't transition over to the auto's until that round was authoirzed. I was toting a .357 wheel gun before. The AR's are only .223/5.56.

As to the Glocks, those must have been some young looking old heads, only sigs for the rookies. There are a few exceptions, mostly U/C guys carrying baby Glocks.

I like the 357 sig and it is a great round it's just at $15+ for a box of 50 rds of FMJ is a lot of money!! I also just don't understand why the .40 is not authorized it's a lot better round then the 9mm. Thanks for the info on that now I know to save the extra $1052 a month I'll be making with the G.I bill to buy myself a SIG.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 6:13:07 AM EST
Anyone know where about the Dallas police department has its academy? I just want to know so I can look online and see if there are any places to rent around it.
Top Top