Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/20/2001 10:51:29 PM EDT
I keep seeing these belts and what not, that you attach to various parts of your body to lose weight. Granted a miniscule electrical shock could be considered pleasant in certain circumstances, but how does it make you lose weight? This is all B.S., isn't it?
Link Posted: 11/20/2001 11:13:38 PM EDT
[#1]
When I was a teenager, I ordered one of those systems.

The pads send electricity into the muscles and cause them to clench.  You can adjust the intensity to the point where you're actually getting some form of exercise, but at that point it gets to be really unpleasant.

The contact points hurt when you turn up the juice, and the muscle contracting involuntarily doesn't feel good either.  It was so unpleasant I never really did it as assiduously and intensely as you're supposed to, and never experienced any muscle growth.  I threw it away and joined a gym.

Bruce Lee supposedly used this system once he became too busy to work out normally.

I think these machines would be best for people who are like paralyzed from the neck down and don't want their body to atrophy.  That's about the only kind of person that I think would get the most benefit with the least amount of discomfort.
Link Posted: 11/20/2001 11:36:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks raven. You get an "A" for content. Good answer.[beer]
Link Posted: 11/21/2001 12:05:19 AM EDT
[#3]
I was forced to touch 2 exposed 110AC wires as a test of loyalty.
Link Posted: 11/21/2001 12:25:45 AM EDT
[#4]
I sincerely hope you touched them with your fingers. [;)]

Then again, loyalty shouldn't come by force.[:D]
Link Posted: 11/21/2001 2:39:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I was forced to touch 2 exposed 110AC wires as a test of loyalty.
View Quote

I have actually seen electrician's grab wires and say, "thats 110" or "that's 220"! [whacko] I thinking, they are full-o-sheet and have a breaker turned off, grabbed a multi-meter and checked the wires and they were live! [shock] Dang fool stunt IMO

(Edited for spelling)
Link Posted: 11/21/2001 2:56:26 AM EDT
[#6]
The first shop I worked at had a service manager that was totally cool.  Weird, but cool.

Among many things he told me, one was that if I was going to be a good mechanic, I'd have to not be afraid of the machines I was working on.

We had a coil tester in the shop that put out about 20 or 30k volts. One day, at his urging, I grabbed both leads and flicked the switch.

It wasn't all that bad.  I could feel a strong thumping run from one hand, up my arm, through my shoulders and chest then back down my other hand.

The trick is voltage, no amperage.  I get a kick when I see people afraid to touch a live spark plug wire now.
Link Posted: 11/21/2001 3:23:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Couldn't 110 ac household and an unknown heart condition kill you?
Link Posted: 11/21/2001 3:46:40 AM EDT
[#8]
I had a bailiff zap me with a stun gun one time in my leg, not for contempt, just for fun.  Hurt like shit.  
Link Posted: 11/21/2001 4:04:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have heard it said that, under the right conditions a 9v battery can kill you and NO I'm not going to find out the conditions and put it to the test [smash]

I once got across a "High Voltage Tripler" of a color TV, one hand on the "Tripler" and the other hand on "Ground" (dumb, dumb, dumb). Co-worker had to knock me free. Sat there and held my chest for about 10/15 minutes, Hurt like a sum-a-beach!
Link Posted: 11/21/2001 4:27:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I had a bailiff zap me with a stun gun one time in my leg, not for contempt, just for fun.  Hurt like shit.  
View Quote

I'm glad I'm not the only one whose done that.

A couple of years ago I got a stun gun, but wasn't sure about how well it worked. I mean, I'd hate to have to use something like that and it not do it's job. So I had my wife shock me in the leg with it.

The funny thing is that I wasn't convinced enough by the pain the first time, so I had her shock me again just to make sure that it hurt as much as I thought! Needless to say, I didn't have her shock me a third time.
Link Posted: 11/21/2001 7:14:15 AM EDT
[#11]
i haven't but i understand the kinky crowd does some pretty wierd things with low voltage electricity and small steel rods.....Dick
Link Posted: 11/21/2001 7:33:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 11/21/2001 7:53:56 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 11/21/2001 8:08:55 AM EDT
[#14]
Since electrocution means to be [b]KILLED[/b] by the application of electricity, I'll have to say no.  However, if you're asking if I've ever shocked the shit out of myself, then the answer is yes.

I was about 6 years old with one of those electric car tracks.  One of my cousins told me it's really cool to wrap a paperclip around my finger and stuck both ends in a light socket.  I learned a harsh lesson that day, and I still have the scar on my thumb to prove it.

As far as electro-sex goes, I never tried it, but I used to know people that raved about it.  Do a search for Folsom Electric Company, or take a look at [b][url]www.blowfish.com[/url].  One of the girls I used to know got all her "gear" there.  A strange crowd that was, but FUN at parties. [}:D]  I don't hang out with that crowd anymore though.

God Bless Texas
Link Posted: 11/21/2001 8:25:04 AM EDT
[#15]
I went to the doctor for a back problem and he used some type of electro-shock machine on my back. It was actually very relaxing until he would get to close to a bony area and then it hurt like hell.

medcop

edited because I can't spell
Link Posted: 11/21/2001 8:33:52 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

The contact points hurt when you turn up the juice, and the muscle contracting involuntarily doesn't feel good either.  It was so unpleasant I never really did it as [size=4]ass[/size=4]iduously and intensely as you're supposed to
View Quote

Raven -

You have a way with words my man. I cannot think of a more appropriate, onomaetopoeic (a word that sounds like what it means) word for the users of these elctro-shock machines than "ASSiduously."
[}:D]

Link Posted: 11/21/2001 8:40:42 AM EDT
[#17]
Beingan Elect Engin Major in college, we get to play withalot of electricity and Heard a story about those trane transformers killing.

There once was an idiot who lived with his parents. he didn't have much luck at sexual gratification so hetried something new. He attached on wire to a clip on his tounge and another to his a-hole. He turned up the juice on the little train transformer and.... When his mom checksed on him and found his dead body with an electrode up his but that probably wasn't very funny. Thing was she tried to sue the company that made the transformer for it being dangerous. [xx(]

If the energy doesn't travel through your heart or brain it probably won't kill ya. I've felt 45kV low current and it just stings a little. Where I work we can generate 5MV. That will hurt alot. Anyone up for manmade 90' lightnig bolts.

Guncrazy223
Link Posted: 11/21/2001 8:42:59 AM EDT
[#18]
One answer comes to mind when I read this thread, and one follow up question.

No.

and

Why Sparky, have you?
Link Posted: 11/21/2001 9:00:36 AM EDT
[#19]
I'm an EE. I've been shocked accidentally before, nothing major. It is the current thru your body that kills. The current depends on how much voltage is applied to your body, and the impedance of your body. (I = V/Z, you are the Z) Dry skin is a pretty good insulator, this is why shocks are worse when you are wet. If you are grounded, like holding a conduit, panel, or metal water pipe, or standing in a puddle, the shock is much much worse because the lowered impedance allows more current to flow thru your body. Over 10 mA and you can't let go. Much over that, especially across the heart, and you're toast.

When I wuz young
And had no sense
I stuck my peter to an electric fence
It curled my hair
And burnt my balls
And made me crap in my overalls
[:E][:E][:E][:E][:E][:E][:E][BD]
Link Posted: 11/21/2001 11:20:20 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The contact points hurt when you turn up the juice, and the muscle contracting involuntarily doesn't feel good either.  It was so unpleasant I never really did it as [size=4]ass[/size=4]iduously and intensely as you're supposed to
View Quote

Raven -

You have a way with words my man. I cannot think of a more appropriate, onomaetopoeic (a word that sounds like what it means) word for the users of these elctro-shock machines than "ASSiduously."
View Quote

as·sid·u·ous (-sj-s)
adj.
Constant in application or attention; diligent: [i]an assiduous worker who strove for perfection.[/i] See Synonyms at busy.
Unceasing; persistent: assiduous research.

Are you one of those people who thinks the word niggardly is a racial slur, Garandman? [;D]
Link Posted: 11/21/2001 11:24:36 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Raven -

View Quote

as·sid·u·ous (-sj-s)
adj.
Constant in application or attention; diligent: [i]an assiduous worker who strove for perfection.[/i] See Synonyms at busy.
Unceasing; persistent: assiduous research.

Are you one of those people who thinks the word niggardly is a racial slur, Garandman? [;D]
View Quote

To "constantly, diligently apply" an electro-shock machine to your gut, to the point of pain or scarring, thinking you would lose weight by doing so, one would HAVE TO BE "ass-iduous."

[:D]

Link Posted: 11/21/2001 11:25:37 AM EDT
[#22]
When I was in physical therrapy a very pretty brunette would use electricity on me.....if I was good
Link Posted: 11/21/2001 11:39:47 AM EDT
[#23]
I've never been electrocuted (unless I'm writing this from some alternate plane of being that those TV Psychics talk about), but working in 'lectronics for the last 15 years I've taken more juice than a dozen mental patients.

115 VAC?  That's like a cup of coffee to me.  HV DC is much much worse, no tingling like you get with 3 phase 480, more like being hit with a sledgehammer.  One time I took +300VDC up my left arm and -300VDC up my right and got knocked on my ass pretty good.  That's the closest I've ever come to being electrocuted.  The guy I was working with said that a puff of smoke came out of my mouth (too many cavities as a kid I guess).

All it takes to stop your heart is 70 milliamps (.070 A) of electricity.  Anything over that is just extra stuff to start your tissues cooking from the inside.  So why don't we die everytime we test a nine volt battery across our tounges?  Anybody?  Bueller?
Link Posted: 11/21/2001 12:12:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I went to the doctor for a back problem and he used some type of electro-shock machine on my back. It was actually very relaxing until he would get to close to a bony area and then it hurt like hell.

a nerv conduction test? i had one once
the doctor was glad i dindt have a gun handy HURT alot  
Link Posted: 11/21/2001 12:12:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Well one day I was using my Orgasmitron 3000(you know an electric masturbating device) any ways, upon my ejaculation I shorted out the device and ended up with several weeks of impotence and 3rd degree burns.  Wont be using electric anymore, only battery powered.
Link Posted: 11/21/2001 12:31:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
So why don't we die everytime we test a nine volt battery across our tounges?  Anybody?  Bueller?
View Quote

Because the current goes in one side of your tongue and out the other and doesn't affect anything inportant, like say, the heart, lungs, brain, nads,...... It will screw up your sense of taste! [:P]
Link Posted: 11/21/2001 12:38:07 PM EDT
[#27]
Yup.
I held onto
my dog's Invisible Fence
collar and crossed the line.

(Twice)[BD]

I haven't tried it
out with both collars
yet.

Link Posted: 11/21/2001 12:42:58 PM EDT
[#28]
We used to work with guy who would pick up extra money betting people how long he could hold his hand agianst the main frame in telephone central offices --after wetting his palm he would press it agianst the wire wrap blocks at random and hold it there as long as he could which would vary depending upon how many lines were ringing at the time I tried it once just to see how it felt ringing voltage jumps the line voltage from 48VDC to around 110AC momentarilly --not real pleasnt I can tell you.  I have hit ringing lines while splicing in manholes while my feet were well grounded in water or the old SLC (multiplexer) carrier pairs --126VDC--OUCH!!! and had them weld a pair of linemans pliers before the fuse popped at the CO not nearly as much fun as electrical work but can leave you shaken anyway.
Link Posted: 11/21/2001 12:43:09 PM EDT
[#29]
Shocked myself with a stun gun twice. i was'nt impressed with its ability to deter an angry person from attacking you. i'd rather use pepper foam.

when in high school i grabbed an electric fence that was around some cows on purpose. it felt kind of similiar to the stun gun, but not as sharp.
Link Posted: 11/21/2001 1:10:06 PM EDT
[#30]
Cyrax, it has been a year and a half since my nerve conduction test....still hurts before it rains
Link Posted: 11/21/2001 1:26:00 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Cyrax, it has been a year and a half since my nerve conduction test....still hurts before it rains
View Quote

I had a nerve conduction test and it did hurt like hell.  No side affects though.
Link Posted: 11/21/2001 1:55:39 PM EDT
[#32]
Got a torn ACL (anterior cruciate ligament) in my knee (HS football) and part of my rehab was 'electrostim'.  Basically 2 pads, 1 above and 1 below the quadracep that shock the piss outta you.  If you don't flex as hard as you can it hurts like hell.  It went in cycles and after you get used to it they turn it up a notch.  Hated it.
Link Posted: 11/21/2001 2:00:06 PM EDT
[#33]
Yes, but for a very good reason! There was a girl on our block when we were growing up and when we were 13 she had the hugest set of hooters and she always hung out with us guys as she was a tomboy big time. Anyway one day her and several of us guys were in my back yard shooting my bow and arrows and goofing off and someone dared someone to touch the neigbors electric fence. No one was going to do it untillil miss big hooters said she would go into my dads work shed and "make out" with whoever held onto the fence the longest. Needless to say we counted to three and grabbed on. I was in the middle with a few guys on each side of me so i dont know if I wasnt getting as much juice as they were or not but most of them let go real fast then i let go but was the winner. So i got the prize of going into the shed with her while all the guys tried to crowed around the one little window at the back of the shed. Any way this chic had been watching and learning from her older sister because she took off her shirt and bra and i was just busy and happy staring at the huge funbags and hen she told me to pull out my thingy and boy did she go to town and then we just kept goingwith her ent over the workbench and me behind her but the sad part is that i am not even sure if i had it in the right hole ut didnt much care at the moment.
Link Posted: 11/21/2001 2:00:11 PM EDT
[#34]
BS
Link Posted: 11/21/2001 2:03:30 PM EDT
[#35]
didnt micheal jackson use that gizmo to change colors???????
Link Posted: 11/21/2001 2:10:26 PM EDT
[#36]
Uh.  Um.  Nice first post there Jay333.  Welcome to AR15.COM I guess.
Link Posted: 11/21/2001 2:55:40 PM EDT
[#37]
It only takes .000005ish Amps to stop your heart.  Your restroom or kitchen Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter will trip at .000002-6 Amp, or .000003-5 Amp depending on the source of info.  An average hair dryer will draw 1500 watts which translates to 13.6000 Amps nominally.  A 100 watt light bulb will draw .9000 Amp.[shock]

If you are electrocuted you are DEAD.

Dirty water is a much better conductor than clean water.  Salt water is a better conductor than fresh.

Anybody wanna play in a man hole burial vault with me next week?  Ohh yeah... there is 7.2 KV and 14.4KV wires submerged in dirty water....live.[grenade]  Last I was in there the temperature was higher than the outside air by 45 degrees.  Who said electric heat isn't efficient?  [}:D]

Link Posted: 11/21/2001 3:04:32 PM EDT
[#38]
I have to say...I went to that Folsom Electric site and looked around.  

Anyone who would put an electrode up their urethra and another up the shit chute for FUN is a seriously disturbed individual.

Jesus, that makes my crank hurt just thinking about it!!
[puke]
QS
Link Posted: 11/21/2001 3:40:33 PM EDT
[#39]
I did purposely electrocuted myself during my Junior year Chemistry Class in high school.  The class was doing an electrolitic experiment with some things all ago.  I was dared by my classmate to touch the leads.  Well, I did and my right arm felt better that day.  I do not know if it alter my mind.  Some of my friends still question me and electricity.
Link Posted: 11/21/2001 6:18:38 PM EDT
[#40]
No, but I did shock my entire 8th grade science class all at once. Our teacher had one of these hand crank generators that would get up to 80 volts or so if you really spun the handle fast. He had the entire class of about 20 kids hold hands in a chain -- each end of the chain held a terminal of the generator, and the two kids in the middle instead of holding hands held each terminal of a voltmeter.

I was assigned to crank the generator, and the teacher read off the voltage as it passed through my classmates. I started off very slowly, and the reading was climbing from about 3 or so volts up to around 10.

Sadistic little SOB that I was, when he said to stop cranking, I gave it all I could instead. The whole line of 12 year olds screamed and unhooked hands as the current hit them.

heh heh heh.
Link Posted: 11/21/2001 6:27:00 PM EDT
[#41]
Twice,

Once while I was 7-9 and plain stupid, stuck a bobbypin with a string attached to it, in a 110 volt outlet. And I thought my hands would be quicker than electricity. ZAPppp!!! Chunk of flesh from my thumb got Zapped off.

25 years later. Helping a friend who dug into his underground phone line, tried splicing it back together. Zapppppp I believe its was 12 to 16 volt charges.

Not bad, but you did not want to hold onto it. Felt like thousands of ants crawing on you.

Link Posted: 11/21/2001 6:49:23 PM EDT
[#42]
Forgot,...  Tinkering with my old mustang ('66), it sounded like it was missing on a cylinder and was making sure the spark plug wires were seated in the dist. cap and had my other hand on the car.  Next thing I know it's TIK TIK TIK TIK electric shocks thru my body.

Also, it's the amps that kill not voltage.
Link Posted: 11/21/2001 7:09:54 PM EDT
[#43]
I zapped myself with a stungun for 10 seconds to prove they dont work and win a $50.00 bet.
Link Posted: 11/21/2001 7:28:39 PM EDT
[#44]
while i was in the army...got to do some nuclear security work over in Germany...guarding Pershing II missles...youd be taksed for 2 weeks at a time to live on site...and youd get so bared and tired standing in the tower, anyhow, we used to have TA 312 field telephones that had electric hand cranks on em...used to garb the wires and give it a crank if you started getting sleepy...wake you right up.
Link Posted: 11/21/2001 7:49:55 PM EDT
[#45]
Two good ones off the top of my head. I bought a stun gun at a gun show one time and my girl at the time said we should stop at a gas station to get a 9V for it. Ok, so we get it working and she is playing with it. Then she thought that it would just be funnier than hell if she stuck me in the neck and dropped me. Yeah all my friends were laughing. I guess it was funny dropping me outside a 7-11 for no reason. The second one happened in high school. I had this friend and we were screwing around one day in the back of class. Well he wasn't to bright and nor was I. He pulled some wires out this hole in the wall and shoved them in my mouth. The class told me that it was pretty entertaining watching me fly back and knock myself out on the brick wall.
Link Posted: 11/21/2001 7:53:30 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

15 mili-amps can kill you. That aint much.
Link Posted: 11/21/2001 8:02:15 PM EDT
[#47]
My buddy and I tried out his wifes stun gun on ourselves, just to see how strong they were. We ended up in a contest to see who could take the shock the longest. He won but then his legs collapsed out from under him (thats where he was shocking himself) they don't hurt too much & it would take a really good and long hit to incapacitate you.
Link Posted: 11/21/2001 9:20:36 PM EDT
[#48]
When I was a kid a few of the neighbor kids and I held hands and one end touched a tree, the other an electric fence. Talk about stepping lively!

Electrons will tend to flow along the surface of a conductor especially at high frequencies. This is called skinning. When telephone long distance wiring was being developed, it was not understood why the cumulative resistance of a length of wire was greater than the calculated ohms resistance for the given length. Now of course it is understood that the electrons are flowing along the surface of the conductor and will give a different value. Tesla could give exciting high voltage/frequency demonstrations using his body connected to his devices because the voltages flowed over the surface of his skin and not passing through his body where as stated above, a very tiny amount in the wrong place will kill you. Hospitals have to meet very stringent electrical codes, especially where grounding is concerned because medically fragile people can be harmed or killed by currents that most of us would not notice. Have any of you ever touched a radio or tv antenna and seen an improvement in signal strength? This is because the signal is conducting through your body. It is the principle of operation of my smartgun invention and the basis of a few other inventions as well. Very tiny electrical currents are used, far to small to cause harm or be felt. The only one I have seen commercialized is a telephone cable pair identifier where the technician is grounded through a  device which amplifies a signal that passes through the technicians body when his hand comes in close contact with the desired pair carrying the signal.

A few other ideas have been patented such as a volume control for a hearing aid where the control is a dial on a ring and the signal is conducted to the hearing aid through the wearer's body when the volume is adjusted. IBM and MIT patented and did some work on a "Personal Area Network" or PAN in which, for a single user, your watch, cell phone, pager, PDA etc could network through your body, and a multiple user application involved a tranfer of data, basicly an electronic version of a business card, when you brushed against or shook hands with another wearer of such a device.
Link Posted: 11/21/2001 9:55:24 PM EDT
[#49]
Funny you should mention it. My father and myself used to fuck with my uncles by taking a simple ac stepdown transformer (for a nintendo for instance), but do it in reverse. Step up.[:D] Take the two wires from the primary side and hook one to a screen door, and the other one to an innocent piece of metal resembling a doormat.

Secondary side wires come into the house, preferably to a position not easily seen. Add one fresh 9 volt battery to the equation.

Uncles come back from a swim. First one up steps on conductive doormat & grabs screen door at the same time. Me says to dad" HIT IT." He repeadedly taps the 9v battery with the secondary side wires.   Hahahaha!! Watch Uncle Jerry dance and scream obsenities!! Uncle Roger saw what was going on and promptly figured it out.

A very fond memory I have of my childhood.
Link Posted: 11/22/2001 4:56:14 AM EDT
[#50]
"Have You Ever Electrocuted Yourself On Purpose?"

ummmm.....NO

Well, I guess as a youngster I did touch an electric fence...WOW...[shock]...am I glad I didn't pee on it. It did buckle both knees though.

And once as I was doing some wiring I grounded a finger across the contacts on a 110v switch. It was just a tickle sensation. When I located the cause of the tickle I DID NOT repeat the experience like I usually do. I was suprised by the "feel" of it but I wasn't going to be stupid enough to try it on purpose. [whacko]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top