Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 5/21/2019 10:34:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/21/2019 11:19:13 PM EDT by Rugerlvr]
I mean that feeling of being in the presence of someone you have idolized for a long time.

I was watching an episode of Last Man Standing, where Mandy meets Kim Kardashian, and totally melts down, and can't remember her name, etc.

I've felt like that once in my life. I know I'll get a lot of hate from the Rush threadshitter brigade, but it was when I ran into Geddy Lee in a bookstore in downtown Salt Lake City...

Have you ever felt like that? Were you able to speak coherently? I wasn't.

ETA: Even if you've never experienced it, is there someone who you could imagine triggering it in you?
Link Posted: 5/21/2019 10:38:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/21/2019 10:42:28 PM EDT by DaveP1]
Once, when I met Jim Carmichael who was a shooting guru when I was growing up and was a passionate fan of the Winchester .270, I remember reading his stories from the time I was about 6 years old in the camper shell of my Dad's old pickup truck the night before opening day to the light of a Coleman Lantern. I met and had a conversation with him at my first SHOT show and was star struck that day.
Link Posted: 5/21/2019 10:38:47 PM EDT
I don't slob celebrity knob.
Link Posted: 5/21/2019 10:39:13 PM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By brich2929:
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/21/2019 10:42:12 PM EDT
Not really. Met bob dole once but I was about 6 and just thought it was cool that he fought in WWII. Now looking back though, meeting Bob Dole was pretty freaking cool.
Link Posted: 5/21/2019 10:42:59 PM EDT
Alicia Keys said hi to me with a smirk at a nightclub I used to bounce in Scottsdale. This was 2002 or so. I just stood there with my head up my ass for a few seconds, then her friend walked in and they left together. I didn't realize until later that I missed my window, but until the day I die I will swear that Alicia fucking Keys gave me a fucking window.
Link Posted: 5/21/2019 10:44:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/21/2019 10:47:18 PM EDT by neshomamench]
Celebrity is rare and romanticized, even if it comes in various degrees.

Most everyone identifies with either the work, or their perception of a celebrity, or a few. It is natural that many people have a response to seeing or meeting a person of note that they know of.

But what do I know.
Link Posted: 5/21/2019 10:45:57 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/21/2019 10:48:47 PM EDT
the only famous people I have met, were all on the wrong side of the law when I met them.
Link Posted: 5/21/2019 10:50:32 PM EDT
Yeah, once. When I was a teenager, I wanted to be a professional musician, I played the trumpet and loved playing Jazz. I traveled to see Arturo Sandoval in concert three times, he was my idol. I gave up that dream in college, and many years later I owned a limousine service. One day I get a call from the director of the local jazz festival, he's got Arturo Sandoval coming in to play at the festival and wants me to handle his transportation. I jumped at the chance to meet my idol.

I behaved as professionally as I could, even though I was freaking out inside. I showed him every courtesy, and in response, he treated me like absolute dog shit. I cancelled the charter for the second day due to the damage he did to my vehicle.

After that, I was never starstruck again. Most celebrities are assholes, and not worth looking up to. I drove about a hundred of them over a ten year span, and there were only three that ever treated me like a human being. Steve Miller, Carrie Underwood and oddly enough, Larry the Cable Guy.
Link Posted: 5/21/2019 10:50:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/21/2019 10:59:34 PM EDT by SIRIUS1]
Originally Posted By brich2929:

View Quote
Might want to broaden that statement up a bit.

Just saying.

As far as celebrity goes. A person is a celebrity to me when. I appreciate their message or their work or the exemplary way of life.

If I am presented the opportunity to speak with them I convey my thanks or appreciation for those things.

Worshipping others is poor form.
Link Posted: 5/21/2019 10:53:03 PM EDT
I met the only American to stay during the Rwandan Genocide. It was the only time I was truly in awe of someone.
Link Posted: 5/21/2019 10:54:07 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/21/2019 10:55:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/21/2019 10:55:20 PM EDT by Thrasymachus]
Originally Posted By DK-Prof:
Meeting the Queen the first time was amazing.
View Quote
Real or drag?
Link Posted: 5/21/2019 10:56:04 PM EDT
this one time, i met kai's silkies and the weird dude who was wearing them.
Link Posted: 5/21/2019 10:57:27 PM EDT
I met Alan West at the airport in Dallas, I got to talk to him for a while as we waited for a flight. I was definitely over awed.
Link Posted: 5/21/2019 10:57:46 PM EDT
I don't engage in hero worship.
Link Posted: 5/21/2019 10:59:15 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/21/2019 10:59:21 PM EDT
I can't even name 99% of celebrities out there...much less tell them apart from any other stranger.

Other than some Nascar and NHRA drivers....I got to meet Nick Clooney (George Clooney's father) at the D-Day memorial while he was filming some kind of documentary...
Link Posted: 5/21/2019 11:00:34 PM EDT
Originally Posted By xdoctor:
Yeah, once. When I was a teenager, I wanted to be a professional musician, I played the trumpet and loved playing Jazz. I traveled to see Arturo Sandoval in concert three times, he was my idol. I gave up that dream in college, and many years later I owned a limousine service. One day I get a call from the director of the local jazz festival, he's got Arturo Sandoval coming in to play at the festival and wants me to handle his transportation. I jumped at the chance to meet my idol.

I behaved as professionally as I could, even though I was freaking out inside. I showed him every courtesy, and in response, he treated me like absolute dog shit. I cancelled the charter for the second day due to the damage he did to my vehicle.

After that, I was never starstruck again. Most celebrities are assholes, and not worth looking up to. I drove about a hundred of them over a ten year span, and there were only three that ever treated me like a human being. Steve Miller, Carrie Underwood and oddly enough, Larry the Cable Guy.
View Quote
What did he do to your vehicle?
Link Posted: 5/21/2019 11:02:10 PM EDT
I went to a music/songwriter's camp in Southern Ohio years ago, a place ran by Jorma Kaukonen (Jefferson Airplane guitarist). While we were there Tom Petty and Mike Campbell stopped by unannounced to visit (they were visiting Peter Frampton's studio which was nearby). They stood in the driveway and talked shit and drank beers well into night and played a little guitar while 10 of us complete noob/nobodies stood around and took it all in.

I was genuinely starstruck and tried my best not to be a goober. Both VERY nice guys in real life, too, were super friendly to all of us and made it a point to talk to us all even tho they had no reason to at all....never forgot that, and loved Petty to the end.
Link Posted: 5/21/2019 11:04:32 PM EDT
Originally Posted By HogJaws:
Alicia Keys said hi to me with a smirk at a nightclub I used to bounce in Scottsdale. This was 2002 or so. I just stood there with my head up my ass for a few seconds, then her friend walked in and they left together. I didn't realize until later that I missed my window, but until the day I die I will swear that Alicia fucking Keys gave me a fucking window.
View Quote
dude......
Link Posted: 5/21/2019 11:08:26 PM EDT
Not star struck about 10 years ago we took our son and daughter to Dallas to the art museum to see the ancient Egyptian artifacts exhibit. After walking through the exhibit we decieded to look at the other painting etc.

I turned to go down this aisle that had paintings on either side and I see a man there casually dressed but obviousely nice jacket and shoes. He glanced my way and I instantly recognized him as Patrick Duffy. I nodded as we walked past him and did not say a word. Later back at the hotel we found out on the news there was a reunion of the Dallas cast that weekend.
Link Posted: 5/21/2019 11:08:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/21/2019 11:09:30 PM EDT by ISED8U]
When I was 18 I met and got a pic with Wolfman Jack. I was stoked.

Most of you probably won't know who that is. He was in the movie American Graffiti, hosted a show in the 70s called The Midnight Special, and he had several cameo in Scooby Doo cartoons when I was a kid.

The guy died about a week later...which may have had something to do with the fact that he was obese and a chain smoker. Now days IDGAF about celebs, their politics, or meeting them. When they have all the Hollywood assholes come into town for the annual Bentonville Film Festival I avoid the place at all costs.
Link Posted: 5/21/2019 11:09:32 PM EDT
In my line of work it’s fairly routine to run into famous people. It used to get me; now I just feel slightly awkward. I don’t really have any “heroes” that are currently alive. Now, when I meet C.S. Lewis in that far green Country I might just stand in place and stammer like an idiot for a few years
Link Posted: 5/21/2019 11:10:55 PM EDT
I met Josh Hamilton at a book signing.

He held out his hand to shake mine and asked me my name.

I handed him the book instead and said "thank you". He just kinda stared at me.

I realized what he said and shook his hand and introduced myself. He was really cool about it.

I laughed about it later because he's really not that famous at all and I was still starstruck.
Link Posted: 5/21/2019 11:15:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/21/2019 11:15:45 PM EDT by bluesx]
Delete double post
Link Posted: 5/21/2019 11:15:39 PM EDT
I didnt know what to say when I met Major John Plaster
Link Posted: 5/21/2019 11:16:26 PM EDT
Yes, I met Evangeline Lilly in a Wendy's. I said "hi" at the drink machine. She smiled and said "hi". Then I walked over and told my wife who I just met.

I know

CSB
Link Posted: 5/21/2019 11:17:05 PM EDT
I smoked a cigarette with Sting once, and I don’t even smoke.
Link Posted: 5/21/2019 11:18:39 PM EDT
Originally Posted By FS7:
I don't engage in hero worship.
View Quote
I didn't think I did either until I ran into GL.

My parents always taught me to leave celebrities alone when you run into them in public. I thought I was immune to being starstruck, until I ran across someone who I have idolized since the early 1980s.

That's why it was so amazing when it happened. Because I didn't think it could. I literally went weak in the knees.
Link Posted: 5/21/2019 11:18:52 PM EDT
Idk but I'd let Jennifer Lawrence blow me if she asked politely
Link Posted: 5/21/2019 11:19:15 PM EDT
Originally Posted By paulthepreacherman:
Yes, I met Evangeline Lilly in a Wendy's. I said "hi" at the drink machine. She smiled and said "hi". Then I walked over and told my wife who I just met.

I know

CSB
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/21/2019 11:20:13 PM EDT
Many years ago I met Johnny Trigg at a BBQ competition. He was a big ole man that was larger than life to me at the time.
I froze up and had so many things I wanted to say but couldn’t get them out. He ended up showing me around his pit
and telling me what he was doing. It was an awesome experience with someone that I looked up to in the BBQ world.

Several years after that, I attended Myron Mixon’s BBQ class. He was a character and wasn’t the asshole he’s portrayed
as on TV. Had a great time that weekend.
Link Posted: 5/21/2019 11:23:09 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Rugerlvr:

I didn't think I did either until I ran into GL.

My parents always taught me to leave celebrities alone when you run into them in public. I thought I was immune to being starstruck, until I ran across someone who I have idolized since the early 1980s.

That's why it was so amazing when it happened. Because I didn't think it could. I literally went weak in the knees.
View Quote
I guess it's possible, but it makes no sense to me. I can't think of a person that would have this effect on me.

Obviously, the term exists and has meaning, but I still can't really comprehend it.
Link Posted: 5/21/2019 11:23:33 PM EDT
When I was 9 I met Colin Meads, the great New Zealand All Blacks rugby player. He was a fine man and I was awestruck.
Link Posted: 5/21/2019 11:24:36 PM EDT
Not as an adult but as a child.

Steve Largent's son used to go to grade school with me and I finally got to meet him at our Christmas pageant.
Link Posted: 5/21/2019 11:28:17 PM EDT
I was flying back from Detroit for work and I got bumped to first Class. I was kinda tired from having a bunch of drinks with a customer earlier and took my seat (aisle seat in 2nd row of first class where u turn left when you enter the plane...think it was a 757). Anyhow, all these guys start filling up first clas speaking with British accents and being loud. I just drank a beer and dozed off. When we go to deplane after we land I get up and Robert fuckin Plant was sitting behind me the whole damn flight. I played Led Zeppelin everywhere I went as a kid. Drank smoked sang to it. That guy was my Idol from 8yrs old. I froze and couldn’t say shit... walked right next to each other all thru the underground walkway at Ohare and he just looked over at me and laughed must happen to him a lot I guess. I can think of a thousand questions I would ask if it happened today but I was an idiot.
Link Posted: 5/21/2019 11:28:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/21/2019 11:35:31 PM EDT by AR4U]
No, but I have met a couple people in a professional capacity who I greatly respected...until I met them and realized they are Jack assess.
Link Posted: 5/21/2019 11:32:02 PM EDT
Worked at a sport shop selling skis in SF in the mid 90s. Coming back from lunch I walked up the stairs to find every employee in the dept. huddled together for some reason. I walked in the circle and asked what's up?

"That's Robin Williams, he wants to buy skis."

"Ok, did anyone help him?" I asked.

"Hell no, we can't do that!!!"

"Ok." I said, and went and sold him skis.

Famous people want to be treated like people. I remembered this later in life when I photographed Arnold Swartz?, Mariah Carey, Jennifer Knapp and numerous Congress critters and chiefs of staff. People are people.
Link Posted: 5/21/2019 11:32:09 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Bizzarolibe:
In my line of work it's fairly routine to run into famous people. It used to get me; now I just feel slightly awkward. I don't really have any "heroes" that are currently alive. Now, when I meet C.S. Lewis in that far green Country I might just stand in place and stammer like an idiot for a few years
View Quote
Did we just become BFFs?
Link Posted: 5/21/2019 11:32:30 PM EDT
I've met a handful of celebrities but none that left me speechless or anything.

Ended up next to Jennifer Love Hewitt at a comedy show, apparently she was dating the comedian and sitting in the back row watching, trying to be discreet.

Worked with a handful of professional sports figures in my clinic, most were down to earth and relatable. Probably because I don't follow/talk about sports and treat them like normal people. I still go shooting about once a year with one of them.

Worked with the goofy guy from the beginning of Blazing Saddles, the one who says something about 'dock that chink a days pay for sleepin' on the job' - goofy guy, very pleasant and funny.

I'm sure there's a few more I can't recall. All I know is they tend to like when you treat them like just another person, rather than fawning. I think fame gets old for most folks.
Link Posted: 5/21/2019 11:34:53 PM EDT
Originally Posted By xdoctor:

View Quote
Who were the biggest ass holes?
Link Posted: 5/21/2019 11:40:01 PM EDT
Originally Posted By frogwater:

Did we just become BFFs?
View Quote
My wife jokes that all she had to do to get me on the hook was name drop Lewis on our first date. She’s only half wrong...

I had the absolute pleasure of teaching Lewis in college during grad school.
Link Posted: 5/21/2019 11:42:51 PM EDT
I met Heather Locklear once back in 1990, right after I got out of the army. If by "starstruck", you mean I immediately wanted to fuck her, then...yeah.
Link Posted: 5/21/2019 11:43:12 PM EDT
I called a radio station one afternoon from work. I had just come back from lunch and didn't know what was going on. Butch Trucks answered the phone. I was . We had a nice/funny conversation. I couldn't believe I had just talked to him when I hung up.

I danced with Taj Mahal for a few hours one night at a party. He seemed to favor me for some reason. Very very nice man.

My hubby met Jimmy Page at a Ferrari dealership. He pretended not to recognize him and they talked cars for quite a while. Then Jimmy stopped traffic so my hubby could pull out into traffic. Which I found amusing.

I've met politicians and a few actors, but nothing that made me gaga. I'm more of a music person anyway. My hubby meets a lot of people because of his boss/job.
Link Posted: 5/21/2019 11:45:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/21/2019 11:46:24 PM EDT by Johnny_Reno]
Link Posted: 5/21/2019 11:46:55 PM EDT
Met two of the guys from ZZ Top and was not starstruck. Mainly because i did not know who they were. :)

I was, however, eyestruck with the absolutely smoking blonde that was with the drummer. I'm 6' and she was a tad taller in heels. Lord.

Found out who they were when i commented about the little guy's awesome beard. Ms Gorgeous told me that the little guy was the bass player and the tall fellow with her was the drummer.
Link Posted: 5/21/2019 11:52:12 PM EDT
Most met UFC fighters over the years. Never star stuck, just surprised how small or large they seem in person.

Met Georges StPierre, Matt Hughes, Chuck Liddell, Rampage Jackson, Ben Asken. Anthony and Sergio Pettis are customers.

Have them both Pettis’s in my phone. It’s actually kind weird when you get texts from them about fixing their cars.

Bunch of tv car show personalities at Sema over the years. All mostly down to earth people.
Link Posted: 5/21/2019 11:52:21 PM EDT
Back in December, I met Kirk Windstein of Crowbar when they were playing a little club in Memphis. We talked for a few minutes. He sort of let his guard down when I mentioned a few friends we had in common. And two weeks ago, when I was in NOLA, that friend went hung out with Kirk. No call. No text.

I've talked to Kyle Thomas (Exhorder, Floodgate, Jones Lounge, Alabama Thunderpussy, Trouble, Heavy As Texas, etc.) a bunch of times when he was singing with different cover bands.

I've hung out with Tom Drennan of Circle II Circle a lot. Listening to the band he plays in now, drinking after the show, going to dinner or lunch. I've had to throw his drunk ass out of the condo we were staying in at 7am once.

My wife and have become friends with a lot of musicians on Bourbon Street and they are all nice people. Being a musician is their job sort of like any 2nd shift work. The only difference is they can drink at work.
Link Posted: 5/21/2019 11:52:37 PM EDT
I met the gunny a few years ago. But he was so friendly and down to earth that I can’t imagine being star struck. It was at a meet and greet at my LGS because he was the Glock spokesman. He stood there and had a conversation with each and every person that came to see him and the store had to stay open late (I think like 11ish) because he wouldn’t leave until he met everyone and shot with the employees.

I’m told that I met Hillary Clinton (FHRC) when I was really young but I was too young to really realize who she was. It may have even been before she was First Lady. I now realize that I’m lucky to be alive.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Top Top