Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/19/2006 7:13:46 PM EDT
In  a  recent  thread   I   asked about what  motorcycle to buy.  Well, this weekend I have to go pick it up.  I have a truck, but I am going to have to rent a trailer.  What is  the best way  to tow a bike.

When I had a dirt bike I used to put  the front wheel in a old tire and just strap down the forks, but I dont know  how to haul a bigger  road bike safely.  

To  make matters worse, my truck is lifted and just has a ball on the bumper.  The ball sits at about 30" off the ground.  I am thinking if I rent a real long flat bed trailer, the angle  will be ok, but  I don't know.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:15:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Uh....why not put the bike in the bed of your truck and strap it down like everyone else?  Why rent a fucking trailor when you don't need to?
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:16:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Ratchet straps on the bars--crank 'em down till the suspension nearly bottoms out. Same goes for the rear subframe. 4 straps total and the bike won't go ANYWHERE...

What did you get?
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:16:49 PM EDT
[#3]
I had a bike hauled from Tenn. to Texas for 538 bucks.

It would hvae cost me more in fuel and hotels than 538.

Something to consider.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:17:01 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
In  a  recent  thread   I   asked about what  motorcycle to buy.  Well, this weekend I have to go pick it up.  I have a truck, but I am going to have to rent a trailer.  What is  the best way  to tow a bike.

When I had a dirt bike I used to put  the front wheel in a old tire and just strap down the forks, but I dont know  how to haul a bigger  road bike safely.  

To  make matters worse, my truck is lifted and just has a ball on the bumper.  The ball sits at about 30" off the ground.  I am thinking if I rent a real long flat bed trailer, the angle  will be ok, but  I don't know.

No way you can get dropped off and ride it home?

Otherwise, find a trailer with a ramp.

Is it a shop? Sometimes they deliver for a fee.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:21:41 PM EDT
[#5]
As already stated, put it in the back of your truck or put it on a trailer. Ratchet straps around the handle bars and one or two to keep the ass end from wiggling. Tighten the front ones until the forks are nearly bottomed out, and then do the rear. I use a single one wrapped around both sides of the swingarm and attached to both sides of the hauler down low. I'm not worried about keeping the rear down, just keeping it from moving side to side.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:22:32 PM EDT
[#6]
RedCap - So if I put  it in the bed of the truck do I wedge the tire in the front corner of the  bed or do I put  it straight  in.  Most of the reason I don't want to put it in the bed is cause my truck is lifted and I don't know how the hell I would get it in and out.  Maybe some really long ramps.

Gravity_tester - i am seriously just going to have to rent a uhaul open trailer or closed trailer.  I think it would easily fit in a closed trailer, would this be advisable?

I bought a V-Star.  Not a real high end bike,  but a good first bike for me and the wife I suppose.
www.powerbrokersinc.com/show.aspx?vid=668933&stockno=C54792

Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:24:16 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
As already stated, put it in the back of your truck or put it on a trailer. Ratchet straps around the handle bars and one or two to keep the ass end from wiggling. Tighten the front ones until the forks are nearly bottomed out, and then do the rear. I use a single one wrapped around both sides of the swingarm and attached to both sides of the hauler down low. I'm not worried about keeping the rear down, just keeping it from moving side to side.

How  do I keep the front  from pulling forward on the trailer,  I am  going to be using a  rented trailer  So I can't fab up a mounted place  for  the front tire to sit in.

ETA: I suppose  with the rear  strap/s huh?
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:24:43 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

+1, and don't put the kickstand down....
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:27:29 PM EDT
[#9]
V-Star is too farkin heavy to pick up and put in your truck! You'll blow your nuts out the bottom of your pants! Get the trailer--straight in. You'll want tie downs 90* from the front tire. Crank them down and you'll be fine.

Enjoy the bike!
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:28:57 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
V-Star is too farkin heavy to pick up and put in your truck! You'll blow your nuts out the bottom of your pants! Get the trailer--straight in. You'll want tie downs 90* from the front tire. Crank them down and you'll be fine.

Enjoy the bike!

Is  there anything  wrong with an enclosed trailer?  I would rather  it  not  eat salt and snow  all  t he way home.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:30:25 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Enjoy the bike!

Is  there anything  wrong with an enclosed trailer?  I would rather  it  not  eat salt and snow  all  t he way home.

not as long as the front end is secured.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:32:38 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

How  do I keep the front  from pulling forward on the trailer,  I am  going to be using a  rented trailer  So I can't fab up a mounted place  for  the front tire to sit in.

Let the front tire press against the front of the trailer striaght on. It will help hold the bike in place when the straps are tightened down.

Also, I prefer not to go 90 degrees from the tires, but straight to the corners. That's where I put the eye-bolts on my trailer. I'd put the bike on it and take a pic, but my freeloading brother has the trailer right now.

Edit: Nice choice on the bike. 650 or 1100? I chose the Road Star, since I'm a fatboy.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:33:54 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Enjoy the bike!

not as long as the front end is secured.

Yup. Bike is a good deal like a horse--control the head and the rest of it should behave....

Just make sure your tie down points are as low in the trailer as possible--on the floor if you can...
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:35:36 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Let the front tire press against the front of the trailer striaght on. It will help hold the bike in place when the straps are tightened down.

Also, I prefer not to go 90 degrees from the tires, but straight to the corners. That's where I put the eye-bolts on my trailer. I'd put the bike on it and take a pic, but my freeloading brother has the trailer right now.

Edit: Nice choice on the bike. 650 or 1100? I chose the Road Star, since I'm a fatboy.

By 90* I meant you want the tie downs straight out from the downtube---

Not at an angle...
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:38:43 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Its  a 1100,  they promised me it had enough power for me and the wife.  I suppose I will find out.  We really liked some of the other bigger bikes they had, Road Star being one of them, but I suppose we need to start small and go from there.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:43:00 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

By 90* I meant you want the tie downs straight out from the downtube---

Not at an angle...

Gotcha!

Quoted:

Quoted:

Its  a 1100,  they promised me it had enough power for me and the wife.  I suppose I will find out.  We really liked some of the other bigger bikes they had, Road Star being one of them, but I suppose we need to start small and go from there.

The 1100 actually accelerates faster than my Roadie 1600, but when I put me, Mrs gorilla, and all our gorilla gear on there, it's over 400 lbs(I make up most of that). That's when the extra torque of the 1600 comes into play. For around town, you will appreciate the smaller, lighter, faster bike, but if you're into touring like we are, the comfort of the Road Star is nicer.

Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:43:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Good luck finding suitable tie down points on a UHaul enclosed trailer.  
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:44:02 PM EDT
[#18]
If you're smart, you'll save a few bucks this way:

Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:46:12 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Good luck finding suitable tie down points on a UHaul enclosed trailer.  

Er...10 bucks for some eyebolts and nuts and washers and ten minutes with a drill....
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:50:03 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

What is  the best way  to tow a bike.

Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:52:51 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

www.bucklesofestes.com/images/110.jpg

Those look toasty! I have a set of First Gear gloves that are great. A little soft--I wouldn't want to rely on them if I had to bail, but warm and dry...

I somehow get the feeling that the OP is a newbie rider. Snow and freezing cold aren't easy to deal with..
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:56:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:57:23 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

www.bucklesofestes.com/images/110.jpg

Those look toasty! I have a set of First Gear gloves that are great. A little soft--I wouldn't want to rely on them if I had to bail, but warm and dry...

I somehow get the feeling that the OP is a newbie rider. Snow and freezing cold aren't easy to deal with..

You got that right. I've been doing it for years now, but I had to ride home from work last month at about 35 degrees. I was already sick, and all I had was the gloves and my leather jacket.

I wasn't worried when I got cold, because that's all part of it, and I wasn't worried when I got numb, because that's part of it too. I REALLY got worried when I suddenly felt warm again! My legs got warm, and I thought I had pissed on myself and was too numb to feel it.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:04:39 PM EDT
[#24]
edit:  IT JUST DAWNED ON ME - 87 !  These pics are almost 8 years old!

Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:13:16 PM EDT
[#25]
Ratchet straps are the way to go but i wouldnt put the hooks directly on the bars, pick up a set of figure eights, Its a nylon strap with two loops that is sewn in the middle and forms a figure eight, wrap it around the handle bars, be carefull not to wrap over lines or cables. Once wrapped around fit one end through the loop and hook the ratchet strap on that. Rubber coated hooks can marr chrome and paint, i dont suggest it, wrap wash clothes around the straps and duct tape them to the strap if the it is anywhere near a finished surface. For the back all u really need is on strap to keep the rear end from bouncing. If you dont have a chock block for the front tire then put it in gear and strap it down. I had four big bikes (two valkyries, a herritage softail and a BMW LT) in my 22 foot enclosed trailer three years ago going to Daytona, i was pulling the load with my F350, anyways i was cut off by a drunk driver, we were going 75mph down I75 in kentucky, he slammed on his brakes and i slammed him it was a real mess the entire trailer came off the ground, it has a triple axle. The drunk driver was ok of course, his car wasnt, my truck twisted a drag link with front end damage, all of us was ok. I thought forsure all the bikes were fucked and they were all primo like nothing happened. Rachet straps are the way to go bro. McM
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:19:59 PM EDT
[#26]
you can rent a motorcycle trailer from u-haul for a few bucks.  It has a fold down ramp with a nose section for the front wheel to rest in.  then follow the other comments - ratchet straps on either side of the front, and you can loop a longer one around the rear edge of the rear tire, and pull it down and away to each side.  just cover it up with tarp or a blanket if you're worried about the snow on the tow home
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:37:12 PM EDT
[#27]
I agree with the trailer, but instead of cranking down the forks,(if you do that too many times, it wears out the seals and springs in the front end.)
    I suggest you use the nylon straps as high on the lower tubes of your front end. Then hook your rachet straps into the nylon straps and then crank them down As long as the bottom of the forks don't move back and forth, the upper end can move on the suspension and no undo wear on the internals. Then run a strap from one side of the trailer through the rear wheel and over your swing arm to the other side. That'll keep your ass end from bouncing up and down and side to side. I hauled my Harley from Sacramento back to Montana 3 years ago.
Keep the shiney side up, and good luck.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:44:14 PM EDT
[#28]
Trailers are for boats
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 9:25:17 AM EDT
[#29]
Motorcycles are for riding, not towing.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 3:20:09 PM EDT
[#30]
Do not leave it in gear. Ratchet it around the forks on th front and rear also not much gas in the tank,fill it up right before you get home.No tarp or cover on open trailer it will ruin paint.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top