Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 10/3/2004 8:13:44 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/3/2004 8:14:06 AM EST by Penguin_101]
I don't think that we have gone on DEFCON I, when have we gone on DEFCON II?

ETA: What are we on now?
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 8:16:02 AM EST

Originally Posted By Penguin_101:
I don't think that we have gone on DEFCON I, when have we gone on DEFCON II?

ETA: What are we on now?

We did for a time, but that was when I decided to play a game of Global Thermonuclear War.

"How about a nice game of Chess?"
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 8:18:16 AM EST
1973 we went to II I believe during Yom Kippur war.
Our current DEFCOM is classified.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 8:18:57 AM EST
As far as I can remember I'm prety sure we went to Defcon 1 in the Cuban missle crises.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 8:19:57 AM EST
DEFCON II only during the Cuban Missile Crisis… If they ever went DEFCON I we would not be sitting here talking about it…missiles away!!!!

Andy
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 8:20:04 AM EST
Are you cleared for this information?

I think we went DefCon II during the Cuban missle crisis, and once during the 80s when we had an incursion by a Soviet plane that came up the Rio Grande valley into the U.S.
Possibly during the fall of the U.S.S.R.
Usual condition was DefCon III.
DefCon I was when the launch orders were actually given.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 8:22:40 AM EST

Originally Posted By Silver_Surfer:
As far as I can remember I'm prety sure we went to Defcon 1 in the Cuban missle crises.

No, we would all be dead…

www.fas.org/nuke/guide/usa/c3i/defcon.htm

We are probably on DEFCON V at the present. And during the Yom Kippur War it was DEFCON III.

ANdy
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 8:25:01 AM EST
Everything you ever wanted to know
encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.com/DEFCON
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 9:09:33 AM EST
Never DEFCON I that is unclassified. Who knows for sure.

However, DEFCON I, does not launch strikes as some here implied. The procedures for launching nukes are classified but can only be ordered by the President (or his successor). DEFCON I is not a prerequisite. Those in the silent service here will know more.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 9:13:07 AM EST

Originally Posted By stator:
Never DEFCON I that is unclassified. Who knows for sure.

However, DEFCON I, does not launch strikes as some here implied. The procedures for launching nukes are classified but can only be ordered by the President (or his successor). DEFCON I is not a prerequisite. Those in the silent service here will know more.

Yes, you had options to launch without outside control… but IIRC that is no longer the case.

Strangely, UK Trident submarine skippers can still launch on their own say so… in extremis of course!

Andy
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 9:29:13 AM EST

Originally Posted By Gunslinger808:
I think we went DefCon II during the Cuban missle crisis, and once during the 80s when we had an incursion by a Soviet plane that came up the Rio Grande valley into the U.S.

Can we get some information about that point?

I've always heard about US flights, largely recon, over communist countries, but never get to hear anything about that kinda stuff here.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 9:32:49 AM EST
DEFCON (Defence Condition) 1 means full scale nuclear war. We have not gone to DEFCON-1. We went to DEFCON-2 during the Cuban missile crisis and that's the closest we've come to nuclear war.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 10:44:52 AM EST

Originally Posted By A_G:
DEFCON (Defence Condition) 1 means full scale nuclear war. We have not gone to DEFCON-1. We went to DEFCON-2 during the Cuban missile crisis and that's the closest we've come to nuclear war.

No, it does not...DEFCON I is merely maximum readiness...it does not mean "full scale nuclear war"...
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 11:18:18 AM EST

Originally Posted By IamtheNRA:

No, it does not...DEFCON I is merely maximum readiness...it does not mean "full scale nuclear war"...

DEFCON I means all the weapons go live and are spun up and targeted, just needs the President to press the button, missiles would fly within seconds… the clock is literallly at 1 minute to the end of the world…

Andy
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 11:19:23 AM EST
Like he said: MAXIMUM readiness.

I thought we went to DEFCON II during 9/11? Was it III?
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 11:22:26 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/3/2004 11:23:11 AM EST by Mike_Mills]
Perhaps maybe like an hour before the end of the world, even intercontinental ballistic missiles need time to fly to their targets.

Nonetheless, can anyone who knows tell us what DEFCON we were at in the afternoon on 9/11/01?
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 11:27:06 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/3/2004 11:27:29 AM EST by IamtheNRA]

Originally Posted By Mike_Mills:
Perhaps maybe like an hour before the end of the world, even intercontinental ballistic missiles need time to fly to their targets.

Nonetheless, can anyone who knows tell us what DEFCON we were at in the afternoon on 9/11/01?

We were at THREATCON DELTA, the highest level.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 11:34:44 AM EST

IIRC they take @ 20 minutes from launch to impact, once they launch there is no recall, the President changing his mind and pressing the 'Destruct Button' is only for Hollywood movies…

Andy
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 11:38:03 AM EST
The Cuban Missile Crisis..... ring a bell. Answer is yes.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 11:39:49 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/3/2004 11:45:31 AM EST by Mike_Mills]
Time of flight varies with destination. There will need to be some time from going to DEFCON 1 until launch or returning to a lower level. These are a few of the things which I'm thinking about which make it more like an hour rather than a minute.

Link Posted: 10/3/2004 11:40:19 AM EST
Sky King Sky King ......do not answer........

Link Posted: 10/3/2004 11:44:30 AM EST

Time of flight varies with destination. There will need to be some time from going to DEFCON 1 until launch or returning to a lower level. These are a few of the things which make it more like an hour.

You had the luxury on distance in CONUS, this side of the Pond they reckoned we had @12 minutes max from SS20 launch detection to impact…

Andy
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 11:47:15 AM EST

THREATCON and DEFCON are two different things....
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 11:48:23 AM EST

Originally Posted By vito113:

Time of flight varies with destination. There will need to be some time from going to DEFCON 1 until launch or returning to a lower level. These are a few of the things which make it more like an hour.

You had the luxury on distance in CONUS, this side of the Pond they reckoned we had @12 minutes max from SS20 launch detection to impact…

Andy

For an SLBM attack, we'd have less than that.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 11:52:54 AM EST

The point is, if we go to DEFCON-1 then we're basically in a full scale nuclear exchange. Even at the hight of the Cuban missile crisis we didn't go to DEFCON-1, and that's when we came within minutes of doing so because there was a break down in communication. DEFCON-1 is full scale war for all intents and purposes.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 11:56:33 AM EST
If the USSR had invaded Europe using only conventional weapons, would the DEFCON gone to I?

THAT is the question....

I think it probably would have, even though the missiles might never have flown.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 12:05:52 PM EST

Originally Posted By Zaphod:
If the USSR had invaded Europe using only conventional weapons, would the DEFCON gone to I?

THAT is the question....

I think it probably would have, even though the missiles might never have flown.

Good question, hadn't considered that.

Anyone in the know have an answer?
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 12:16:56 PM EST

Like he said: MAXIMUM readiness.

I thought we went to DEFCON II during 9/11? Was it III?

Yeah, I had heard the same thing. I thought it was II, but not 100% sure...

Bigfeet
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 12:18:36 PM EST
Going to DEFCON 1 is not full scale war, but...

An analogy would be chambering a round in a rifle, and leveling it at your adversary with the safety off and your finger on the the second stage of a two stage trigger.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 12:23:37 PM EST

THAT is the question....

Good question, hadn't considered that.

Anyone in the know have an answer?

NATO policy at the time was summed up by a British General who said, "we will fight them with conventional weapons till we are losing, we will fight them with chemical weapons till we are losing, then we will blow up the world".

As far as I was told from my connection with the Royal Navy at the time, as soon as the Russians came over the Inner German Border it was going to be DEFCON II… and as soon as WMD's were used… it was DEFCON I and the end of the world.

Andy
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 12:24:37 PM EST

Originally Posted By FishKepr:
Going to DEFCON 1 is not full scale war, but...

An analogy would be chambering a round in a rifle, and leveling it at your adversary with the safety off and your finger on the the second stage of a two stage trigger.

Damn good analogy Sir…

Andy
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 12:46:43 PM EST

THREATCON and DEFCON are two different things....

We went to DEFCON 3 on 9-11. I believe that we upgraded from 5 after the Pentagon was hit.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 5:57:52 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/7/2004 7:34:24 AM EST by AMHsix]
Top Top