Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/14/2007 1:06:07 AM EDT
So I just watched silence of the lambs and the whole time during the climax I am hollering "Fatal funnel!!!" "What the hell is wrong with you??" "I bet you wish you had more than 6 shots of .38 now, don't you?" "Why the hell don't you have a flashlight?" "Why didn't you pick up a dang phone?" "That is NOT how you round a corner!"

... and so on. Yeesh. Now I can't watch a movie in peace. I had to hold my AR just to calm myself down.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 1:08:04 AM EDT
Rule #5: When in doubt, do the exact opposite of anything you have ever seen in a movie.

Link Posted: 8/14/2007 1:09:06 AM EDT
Yup, same here. And it really pisses my wife off, cuz I comment on it all the time! Like in Mr. And Mrs. Smith, then they are in the elevator and Pitt has the cocking knob on his MP5 locked up. Or the whole "forward roll, summersault thingy" they do in SWAT and other movies, I'm like WTF???
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 1:10:03 AM EDT
wife used to hate it when I point out gun mistakes on TV, now she does it too.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 1:12:27 AM EDT
Being involved in and/or somewhat knowledgeable about firearms, aviation, space, computers and having more common sense and the ability to use logic than God gave an single-celled organism (which describes most people today ) , I find I have to use my "suspend disbelief" brain switch when watching just about any film or TV show.

I've gotten pretty good at it.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 1:13:08 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Stumps:

LOL! Mine too! She was a total leftist moon-bat when I met her. Now she is slowly coming to the dark side!
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 1:13:22 AM EDT
It's ruined movies for me, especially most war movies. My friends won't let me watch any action movies with them because I usually scream outloud at every mistake.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 1:14:54 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Airwolf:
Being involved in and/or somewhat knowledgeable about firearms, aviation, space, computers and having more common sense and the ability to use logic than God gave an single-celled organism (which describes most people today ) , I find I have to use my "suspend disbelief" brain switch when watching just about any film or TV show.

I've gotten pretty good at it.

+1

Yep. Just shut the brain down and enjoy the movie.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 1:45:13 AM EDT
The errors always annoy the hell out of me, especially the safety coming off noise produced when someone aims a Glock at someone.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 1:54:03 AM EDT
I yell encouragement towards the screen during scenes of violence. This greatly amuses me, but the other people in the theater are usually kind of unhappy about it.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 3:31:43 AM EDT
Off and on. Sometimes it is irritating, sometimes it is fun so see such errors, sometimes it just helps to remember it's just a movie.

Off the top of my head, best two in Bond movies: in TWINE, Bond threatens a crewmember with a 1911 type with the hammer down, which for Bond, really doesn't make much sense.

And while this isn't a flaw, it does point out that one has to remember. In TND, someone pointed out that when the helo tilted it's nose down and moved forward trying to mow down Bond, it was impossible for a helo to fly like.

My response: "WHAT? YOU THINK THAT WHAT BOND DOES IS POSSIBLE?"
("I am the Frankenstein for this year. I was raised in a government training camp. There is a new Frankenstein each year, for each Trans Continential Road Race."--driver Frankenstein, (w,stte), "Death Race 2000")
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 5:07:50 AM EDT
I remember watching a Charles Bronson movie with a girlfriend....there was a scene where he was shooting his hand cannon...BLAM BLAM BLAM BLAM BLAM....but then the slide locked to the rear....but the sound effects kept coming...BLAM BLAM BLAM....

"Gimme a break!" I said out loud....at which point I received a feminine elbow to the ribs. "Shhh!!!"

I remember watching Diehard 2 and there was the scene in the airport where the engineer was being taken to the alternate location by the SWAT team...who was wiped out by the guy from Terminator 2 and his friends with MP5s. Believable....I mean, I've never seen a SWAT team that dumb before, but I could believe it.

Then our hero drops out of an air vent and takes out 7 or 8 guys armed with MP5s using only a Beretta 92.

"You've GOT to be kidding me!".....elbow to ribs...."Shhhh!"

I think the most disappointing was the gunfight scene in Open Range where Costner fires 11 quick shots from a 6 shot Peacemaker....it was disappointing because the rest of the movie was so authentic and that one flaw just leaped out at me.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 5:10:54 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Snowleopard:
Off the top of my head, best two in Bond movies: in TWINE, Bond threatens a crewmember with a 1911 type with the hammer down, which for Bond, really doesn't make much sense.

The early Bond movies were TERRIBLE about gun errors. In Dr. No Bond is in his hotel room with a 1910 Browning instead of his Walther, and a man breaks in to kill him. The man is armed with a silenced 1911.

Bond tells the guy "...besides...that's a Smith and Wesson, and you've had your six" before he shoots him.

I was left going "What the hell?"
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 5:25:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/14/2007 5:26:03 AM EDT by TheTracker]
The worst thing I always see in movies , whether they are war movies or cop and bad guy movies are when the good guys are walking in some where with weapons drawn
and they have them pointed at the back of the guy in front of them or they always sweep hot weapons over there own guys.

Drives me nuts watching this.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 5:42:28 AM EDT

Ha!! We have to sit away from the crowd at the movies for the same reason! It is like a contest!!
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 6:06:49 AM EDT

Originally Posted By SirSqueeboo:
It's ruined movies for me, especially most war movies. My friends won't let me watch any action movies with them because I usually scream outloud at every mistake.

I feel your pain. People can't understand why I get SOOO mad at Saving Pvt. Ryan. They have a sniper in the unit, which in WWII was a rare and special thing. They find a lone German MG nest from a position that offers BOTH cover and concealment! Instead of letting the Supra-badassed Sniper take them out, he DETACHES the scope and charges ALONG WIT H THE FREAKING MEDIC!?!?!? The asshat translator stays in the rear with the gear and the UNARMED MEDIC charges up??? What was he going to do? Throw syringes at them?

Ok, you don't want to do this easy, want to get a little messy? Forget about the flank! Go around and come up the reverse side! There are only 3 in an immovable nest! Even the FREAKING Ewoks (God curse them) know that the backdoor is a good idea!

AHHHHHH! Just typing this makes me mad!
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 6:15:25 AM EDT

+1! As a reenactor who's studied and done the drill and tactics of the 18th century, I can't watch "The Patriot" or "Last of the Mohicans" without wanting to take my boots off and hurl them at the VCR. I had friends who worked on both movie sets as reenactors training extras. All said the movies are utter historical abortions. Both movies are so poorly done, it's a damned shame.

As another poster said, check your mind at the door when you watch a movie.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 6:39:09 AM EDT
I cannot watch any "reality" based cop show ... IE COPS or any of the SWAT shows ... its like being at work, and the stupidity that I see irritates me.

Someone mentioned the Glock noise...just saw Bourne Ultimatum over the weekend. Bourne aims a Glock at someone, sounds like a hammer cocking....you SEE the back square outline of the Glock aimed by Bourne....in the same scene, they switch views, come back to Bourne pointing at the same person....NOW ITS A SIG SAUER PISTOL, of course, with the hammer cocked!!!

Apparently, trained observer isn't good for Hollywood.

VJ
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 6:54:45 AM EDT

Whatever you do, don't stop screaming your opinions at social gatherings when it's least desirable or appropriate!

If you don't do it, who will?

If not during a movie your friends are trying to enjoy, when?
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 7:03:46 AM EDT

Originally Posted By LouisianaCarry:
So I just watched silence of the lambs and the whole time during the climax I am hollering "Fatal funnel!!!" "What the hell is wrong with you??" "I bet you wish you had more than 6 shots of .38 now, don't you?" "Why the hell don't you have a flashlight?" "Why didn't you pick up a dang phone?" "That is NOT how you round a corner!"

... and so on. Yeesh. Now I can't watch a movie in peace. I had to hold my AR just to calm myself down.

I was actually impressed by the speedload Agent Starling did after shooting Buffalo Bill.
Pretty quick.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 7:06:03 AM EDT
no it hasn't ruined movies for me because I know movies are for entertainment.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 7:08:44 AM EDT
Nope, Its a movie.

Link Posted: 8/14/2007 7:17:55 AM EDT
I just wish Jason Bourn would stop cocking his Glock every time he points it at someone.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 7:26:32 AM EDT
"Shooter" pissed me off.

I was pissed when I saw Mark Wahlberg pull back the charging handle and eject a round in the chamber when reloading his M4.

I was also turned off when I saw that hot chick shoot her rapist only 4 times with a chrome Beretta 92 before it ran out of ammo. Seriously, who the fuck puts only 4 rounds in a 92?

There were so many firearm misconceptions in that movie that it would make Counter-Strike seem like a military simulator.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 8:02:47 AM EDT

Originally Posted By V_Johnson:
Someone mentioned the Glock noise...just saw Bourne Ultimatum over the weekend. Bourne aims a Glock at someone, sounds like a hammer cocking....you SEE the back square outline of the Glock aimed by Bourne....in the same scene, they switch views, come back to Bourne pointing at the same person....NOW ITS A SIG SAUER PISTOL, of course, with the hammer cocked!!!

VJ

The scene with the SIG is a flashback, not a mistake...
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 8:09:00 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Codename46:
"Shooter" pissed me off.

I was pissed when I saw Mark Wahlberg pull back the charging handle and eject a round in the chamber when reloading his M4.

I was also turned off when I saw that hot chick shoot her rapist only 4 times with a chrome Beretta 92 before it ran out of ammo. Seriously, who the fuck puts only 4 rounds in a 92?

There were so many firearm misconceptions in that movie that it would make Counter-Strike seem like a military simulator.

Link Posted: 8/14/2007 8:09:32 AM EDT

Originally Posted By uxb:

VJ

The scene with the SIG is a flashback, not a mistake...

There were MANY weapon switches in that movie, Borne would have a Glock.. Sig... HK... Glock... all within the same series of events... The movie directors should have went KISS and stuck with a single type of firarm throughout the movie so it wouldnt piss off us gun geeks.

Other than that, good flick.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 8:29:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/14/2007 8:29:54 AM EDT by bionicmonkey]

"Shooter" pissed me off.

that is the suck.. seen that in other movies too.. script calls for 4 rounds, so they put 4 rounds in it, and the slide goes lock at the end. they could at least rig a mag so the slide wouldnt lock..

? wait.. counterstrike isnt a simulator?

then all my training wasnt any good?

NNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!­!!!! lol.

Link Posted: 8/14/2007 8:50:16 AM EDT
It's enough to make you into a sci-fi watcher, then you don't care if it's some "phaserlaser-defibrilator" that some weird critter is shooting at another. I just get bugged when it's clearly an M1911, the guy jacks the slide, and you can see that the hammer's down on this dummy but then it goes "boom"!
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 8:57:49 AM EDT

Same here.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 9:36:52 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Bama-Shooter:

Same here.

+1, she has almost come full circle grasshopper

also, learning to play bagpipes, correctly, ruins that for you as well, you then realize that 8 out of every 10 players don't know what the hell they are doing
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 9:42:34 AM EDT

"Shooter" pissed me off.

I was also turned off when I saw that hot chick shoot her rapist only 4 times with a chrome Beretta 92 before it ran out of ammo.

Seriously, who the fuck puts only 4 rounds in a 92?

The guy who loads the blanks in the props. Think back to every film with a firing pistol in it, and if someone shoots one or two rounds, the slide locks back...that happens A LOT!

As for the Glock, then Sig moment I mentioned, if that was a dream sequence, it obviously wasn't very clear to me.

Oh well.

Link Posted: 8/14/2007 9:53:06 AM EDT

"Shooter" pissed me off.

I was also turned off when I saw that hot chick shoot her rapist only 4 times with a chrome Beretta 92 before it ran out of ammo.

Seriously, who the fuck puts only 4 rounds in a 92?

The guy who loads the blanks in the props. Think back to every film with a firing pistol in it, and if someone shoots one or two rounds, the slide locks back...that happens A LOT!

As for the Glock, then Sig moment I mentioned, if that was a dream sequence, it obviously wasn't very clear to me.

Oh well.

OMG I saw that too! I pointed it out immediately, and everyone said "SHH!"

I am pretty sure it wasn't part of the dream sequence, for this reason:

Remember when Bourne and "the asset" get into the car crash? Remember when Bourne was about to cap him, then reconsidered? That was a Glock.

He then went immediately to the bldg with the Dr, and pointed a Glock. THEN the dream sequence occurred, and when he came back to reality, voila, a Sig.

Sorry for the hijack, but yeah, movies mostly piss me off now, and now anytime my family rents a movie with gunplay, they all say "Yeah I'm sure you could point out ALL the mistakes"

Some movies are done well, though. I esp. like Michael Mann movies for gunplay, as it is usually pretty good. The Way of the Gun entertained me as well -- even though some of it was pretty far-fetched, it seemed like the director made an effort to consider tactics, if not ballistics.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 10:01:04 AM EDT
I would fricking LOVE to be a firearms "technical expert" for the making of movies.

Love it!

But I would not want to work in Hollwierd. If I could do it from home, I would in a heartbeat. But unfortunately "enthusiast" does not count for much on a resume.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 10:01:40 AM EDT
Just makes watching movies better, you pay more attention looking for all the mistakes.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 10:09:00 AM EDT

Originally Posted By THOLL223:
Just makes watching movies better, you pay more attention looking for all the mistakes.

+1
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 10:17:19 AM EDT
Nope its not a flash back for Jason its a fuck up I saw it too.

Before he gets in teh shit, he is seen with a Sig Pro 9mm pistol, he jacks the NYPD blue and white car and takes the Doctor by gunpoint, where it then shows a G19 pistol, which makes you assume he got it from the NYPD car or something, but then a second later he is shown with the orginally Sig Pro 9mm pistol again after it returns from a flashback.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 1:02:51 PM EDT
Makes me appreciate movies wehre they give a shit about it (Heat, WOTG) more.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 9:06:00 PM EDT

Originally Posted By John_Wayne777:

Originally Posted By Snowleopard:

The early Bond movies were TERRIBLE about gun errors. In Dr. No Bond is in his hotel room with a 1910 Browning instead of his Walther, and a man breaks in to kill him. The man is armed with a silenced 1911.

Bond tells the guy "...besides...that's a Smith and Wesson, and you've had your six" before he shoots him.

I was left going "What the hell?"

Don't forget the part in "From Russia, With Love" where Bond barely lifts his Walther and fires and the shot takes down a guy some 50 yards away.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 11:42:02 AM EDT
Yeah, the "weapon cock" noise is the one that constantly annoys me. I saw some piece o crap the other night wherein someone pointed a crossbow and dang if there wasn't the ubiquitous cocking sound.....jeez.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 11:47:29 AM EDT

Originally Posted By PzIvF2s:

I feel your pain. People can't understand why I get SOOO mad at Saving Pvt. Ryan. They have a sniper in the unit, which in WWII was a rare and special thing. They find a lone German MG nest from a position that offers BOTH cover and concealment! Instead of letting the Supra-badassed Sniper take them out, he DETACHES the scope and charges ALONG WIT H THE FREAKING MEDIC!?!?!? The asshat translator stays in the rear with the gear and the UNARMED MEDIC charges up??? What was he going to do? Throw syringes at them?

Ok, you don't want to do this easy, want to get a little messy? Forget about the flank! Go around and come up the reverse side! There are only 3 in an immovable nest! Even the FREAKING Ewoks (God curse them) know that the backdoor is a good idea!

AHHHHHH! Just typing this makes me mad!

Don't forget at the end where they are preparing to defend the bridge. 1/4 of the guys are actually getting stuff ready for defense whilst the other guys are sitting around a record player.

In real life, that bridge would've likely been blown by engineers to prevent Axis capture.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 11:52:40 AM EDT

Yes. It bugs the shit out of me. However if there is gratuitous sex and nudity I'll overlook the gun mistakes.

Priorities you know.

ZM
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 11:57:33 AM EDT
In Phone Booth, the shooter chambers a round more than one time without firing for dramatic effect appraently.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 1:03:01 PM EDT
In lots of movies, the shooter will be going into a scary place, get shot at, take evasive action, roll around on the ground and THEN cock his weapon. I'm always thinking, I wouldn't have gone anywhere near that place without being ready to fire.

Sometimes I get even more frustrated wtih movies that DON'T have guns. e.g. Creepy Dude is chasing stars. Stars run to farmhouse. Creepy guy breaks in and kills farmer and family. Stars run somewhere else. In my county, as soon as creepy guy broke into the farmhouse the movie would be over. Creepy breaks in, BANG, farmer shoots him. Credits roll.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 1:18:40 PM EDT
+1, just push the "suspend belief" button on your remote control...

those of you with kids will get the inside joke...
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 1:39:26 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Airwolf:
I find I have to use my "suspend disbelief" brain switch when watching just about any film or TV show.

Me too, but sometimes mine gets stuck and I have to hit myself in the head halfway through the flick.. at least that is the excuse I am using from now on for hitting myself in the head..

Link Posted: 8/15/2007 1:47:38 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Barkinhound:
Yeah, the "weapon cock" noise is the one that constantly annoys me. I saw some piece o crap the other night wherein someone pointed a crossbow and dang if there wasn't the ubiquitous cocking sound.....jeez.

In The Patriot , when Mel Gibson cocks his flintlock pistol, you hear the sound of a modern DA revolver being cocked and the cylinder moving to the next round....multiple clicks. Anybody who knows flintlocks knows they make just one click when put on the full-cock position.

Link Posted: 8/15/2007 1:54:25 PM EDT

Originally Posted By mjohn3006:
I would fricking LOVE to be a firearms "technical expert" for the making of movies.

Love it!

No, you wouldn't. You're working with idiotic, ignorant weenies all day long who want you to do very dangerous things with the guns. (Dangerous to you, NOT to them.)

Stars are also utter headcases. The set of "The Patriot" had to stop filming one day because Mel Gibson flew into an all-day tantrum, when his firearms teacher told him he was handling his flintlock rifle wrong in the same way Daniel-Day Lewis had in the "Last of the Mohicans", which the firearms trainer had also worked on.

But I would not want to work in Hollwierd. If I could do it from home, I would in a heartbeat. But unfortunately "enthusiast" does not count for much on a resume.

If you want to work in Hollywood, the word "whore" counts more.

Link Posted: 8/15/2007 2:08:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/15/2007 2:09:25 PM EDT by NEPAshooter]
Mistakes with firearms in movies is bad enough.

It's blasphemous treachery when airsoft gets mixed into it.

BS you say?

Bourne Identity, scene in the Paris apartment. (44 minutes into it, chapter 10)

Since when does a sub gun on full auto make continuing clickey noisese once the magazine has run empty?

Don't believe me? Go watch it. You'll laugh out loud.

I guess the director/editor wanted to 'make sure' the audience knew the weapon was empty.

E.

Link Posted: 8/15/2007 2:25:33 PM EDT
Yes having training and being gun savvy makes me dislike movies, except for Blood Diamonds. Leo handled weapons like he was professionaly trained, he pressed checked his HK everytime he unholstered it.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 2:28:05 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Tomtbo:
It's enough to make you into a sci-fi watcher, then you don't care if it's some "phaserlaser-defibrilator" that some weird critter is shooting at another.

Admittedly I have not seen all of the episodes of the newer Star Trek stuff.. next generation, deepspace 9, voyager, etc.. but I have yet to see a firefight in those shows where I would not rather have what they often refer to as a "primitive projectile weapon" like the ones in my safe. Their phasers seem to me to have a dangerously slow rate of fire and a requirement to hold the weapon on target for a protracted amount of time. And they appear to have little penetrating power, as I have never seen them shoot through anything, not even people. For all of the gee-whiz-techno-beam-of-light cometic affects, their weapons, when considered as combat weapons, seem kind of crappy.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top