Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/30/2006 7:55:10 AM EDT
I purchased one last night, and I have all of the green squares lined up.

Has anyone solved one before? Any tips for me?
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 7:56:03 AM EDT
[#1]
I could do it in less than two minutes when I was in middle school.  I wasn't one of the fastest kids in school, but I did know how to solve it.

What's weird is that 10 years later, a friend had one laying around - and even though I hadn't touched one in 10 years, I just picked it up and solved it, even though I really couldn't remember how.  I guess the muscle memory and patterns were still somewhere in my head.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 7:58:12 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Has anyone solved a Rubik's Cube? ?

If you mean in the end all the colors line up as they are when they are new?

Then Yes I have solved one.
If you mean without removing the stickers , then no I haven't LOL
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 7:58:49 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
What's weird is that 10 years later, a friend had one laying around - and even though I hadn't touched one in 10 years, I just picked it up and solved it, even though I really couldn't remember how.  I guess the muscle memory and patterns were still somewhere in my head.

Damn.... it takes you that long? I can peel the stickers off way faster than that.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 8:01:38 AM EDT
[#4]
No tips, but to answer your question, yes.
Many people have solved it, these are just some of the quickest.

HKO
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 8:04:32 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
No tips, but to answer your question, yes.
Many people have solved it, these are just some of the quickest.

HKO

My grandfather always got a kick out of solving it in a few seconds, and handing it back to me. He never would show me how though.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 8:26:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 8:28:17 AM EDT
[#7]
00 buckshot solves it nicely.  
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 8:29:37 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Takes me about 3-4 minutes. Don't concentrate on 1 side. That is where you screw up. You need to keep it rolling in your hand. Not warp speed, but just keep it moving.

You mean keep the actual cube roating, or keep moving the parts of the cube?
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 8:30:41 AM EDT
[#9]
I never have understood the attraction to those things.  

CO
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 8:30:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 8:33:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Yep.  Using a hammer.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 8:33:16 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Rotate the cube in your hand.

I will give it a try thanks!
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 8:33:17 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I could do it in less than two minutes when I was in middle school.  I wasn't one of the fastest kids in school, but I did know how to solve it.

My wife can still do it in about two minutes, too. Rubik's cubes were a little bit after my time. Never touched one.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 8:35:06 AM EDT
[#14]
There's an algorithm you can follow to solve it.  I don't know it, but my boss can solve them in 2-5 minutes, and he described a little of what you have to do.  When he was in school and doing it every day, he could solve one in under a minute.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 8:44:14 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Takes me about 3-4 minutes. Don't concentrate on 1 side. That is where you screw up. You need to keep it rolling in your hand. Not warp speed, but just keep it moving.

You mean keep the actual cube roating, or keep moving the parts of the cube?

The trick is that you don't solve each side seperately. Think of the cube in terms of the rows of it's pieces (put it on a table and look at it, you have a bottom row, a middle row and a top row of pieces on each side). Solve one side of the cube then put it down, solved side on the bottom, then look at it. Do the colors for the bottom row you can now see all match up properly, all the way around the cube? If they do, the next step is to solve the middle row all the way around the cube. Once you have the middle row solved, the last step is solving the top row. When you get the top row solved all the way around the cube the top face will also be solved (if you do it right).
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 8:49:27 AM EDT
[#16]
Used to do it all the time in HS (many many moons ago).  I wasn't the fastest in my school, but could do it in a few minutes.  The fastest was a math wiz and the son of a science teacher.  He could do it in about 30-40 seconds.  There are books out to teach you the patterns to solve various combinations...
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 9:28:35 AM EDT
[#17]
There used to be books that showed the pattern, now they are all over the net
jeays.net/rubiks.htm
lar5.com/cube/
jjorg.chem.unc.edu/personal/monroe/cube/rubik.html
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 10:31:51 AM EDT
[#18]
only by removing the stickers
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 10:34:39 AM EDT
[#19]
If you take them apart, it loosens them up so you can mess them up easier! Forget taking the sticker off, they never stick right again!

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 12:06:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 12:44:40 PM EDT
[#21]
No, but I had my computer solve it, and I did the movements.

I went to some website I found online, you plug in the colors and thier locations and it will generate an animated solution that you can go through step by step.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:48:30 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
No, but I had my computer solve it, and I did the movements.

I went to some website I found online, you plug in the colors and thier locations and it will generate an animated solution that you can go through step by step.

Ok... that's just as impressive to me... being able to build a computer program that can do that. Frickin sweet.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top