Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 8/31/2002 4:21:48 PM EDT
I saw it a couple of nights ago. It was mildly entertaining. I was bothered with the movie. It seemed like it had a strong Hollywood anti-gun bias. Where were their guns when they were hiding in the basement waiting for the aliens to attack? Rural farm people from Pennsylvania not having at least one shotgun or 3006? Using a baseball bat instead of an AR-15 or 1911? Did anyone else detect an anti gun bias or is it just me being paranoid?
Link Posted: 8/31/2002 4:23:59 PM EDT
I think you're reading way too much into it.
Link Posted: 8/31/2002 4:29:56 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/31/2002 4:46:31 PM EDT
Originally Posted By DoubleFeed:
Originally Posted By RikWriter: I think you're reading way too much into it.
View Quote
Yeah, just about the same way someone who detected an antigun bias in Charlie's Angels was reading too much into it.
View Quote
I think he's reading too much into it too. The guy was a retired priest. I didn't notice any ANTI-gun messages. The fact that guns were not part of the story doesn't make it anti-gun. The Charlie's Angels movie was a whole different story. The director and the actors made anti-gun statements when it came out. I didn't hear 1 anti-gun statement from the people involved with Signs. USPC40 [img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/USPC40/line.gif[/img] [url=www.nra.org][b][red]NRA[/red][/url] [url=www.nra.org][blue]Life Member[/blue][/url] [url=www.gunowners.org][b][red]GOA[/red] [/url] [url=www.gunowners.org][blue]Life Member[/blue][/url] [url=www.saf.org][red]SAF[/red][/url] [url=www.saf.org][blue]Supporter[/blue][/url] [url=sas-aim.org][red]SAS[/red][/url] [url=sas-aim.org][blue]Supporter[/blue][/b][/url] [img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/USPC40/alabamaflag.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 8/31/2002 4:53:04 PM EDT
What about the anti-gun stuff from [i]Charlie's Angels[/i]?
Link Posted: 8/31/2002 4:56:29 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/31/2002 5:04:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/31/2002 5:09:11 PM EDT by USPC40]
Interestingly enough, I saw an ad for a new movie called [i]Ballistic: Ecks vs. Sever[/i], which stars Lucy Liu(one of the Angles) and appears to contain lots of gun usage by the good guys and bad guys. [:D] [img]www.comingsoon.net/news/jun02/severliu.jpg[/img] USPC40 [img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/USPC40/line.gif[/img] [url=www.nra.org][b][red]NRA[/red][/url] [url=www.nra.org][blue]Life Member[/blue][/url] [url=www.gunowners.org][b][red]GOA[/red] [/url] [url=www.gunowners.org][blue]Life Member[/blue][/url] [url=www.saf.org][red]SAF[/red][/url] [url=www.saf.org][blue]Supporter[/blue][/url] [url=sas-aim.org][red]SAS[/red][/url] [url=sas-aim.org][blue]Supporter[/blue][/b][/url] [img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/USPC40/alabamaflag.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 8/31/2002 5:11:30 PM EDT
[:O] look at her trigger finger!
Link Posted: 8/31/2002 5:16:32 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Skammy: [:O] look at her trigger finger!
View Quote
And??? I was actually looking at something else. USPC40 [img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/USPC40/line.gif[/img] [url=www.nra.org][b][red]NRA[/red][/url] [url=www.nra.org][blue]Life Member[/blue][/url] [url=www.gunowners.org][b][red]GOA[/red] [/url] [url=www.gunowners.org][blue]Life Member[/blue][/url] [url=www.saf.org][red]SAF[/red][/url] [url=www.saf.org][blue]Supporter[/blue][/url] [url=sas-aim.org][red]SAS[/red][/url] [url=sas-aim.org][blue]Supporter[/blue][/b][/url] [img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/USPC40/alabamaflag.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 8/31/2002 5:29:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/31/2002 5:30:10 PM EDT by Skammy]
[img]www.havenofrags.de/skammy/buns.jpg[/img] [:P]
Link Posted: 8/31/2002 5:44:12 PM EDT
In 'Signs', it actually surprises me that the director didn't have the alien armed with an evil black rifle of some kind.
Link Posted: 8/31/2002 5:45:49 PM EDT
Originally Posted By DoubleFeed:
Originally Posted By RikWriter: I think you're reading way too much into it.
View Quote
Yeah, just about the same way someone who detected an antigun bias in Charlie's Angels was reading too much into it.
View Quote
No, the fact is, there was no anti-gun message in Signs. No "bad guy" used guns. No good guys used guns. There was simply no guns used in the movie...no political statement was made about it. The reason for the lack of guns was probably because the movie was about Mel Gibson's character regaining his faith, not about him picking up a 12 gauge and kicking alien ass.
Link Posted: 8/31/2002 5:59:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/31/2002 6:00:12 PM EDT by Glock31]
It was kind of a crappy movie, but the no gun thing just made it worse. If they'd have opened the basement door and opened up with a few MP5's and M16's, it would have been quite entertaining.[heavy]
Link Posted: 8/31/2002 6:10:35 PM EDT
That movie was bad to begin with. Everyone has their own opinions on guns. Why can't people accept that. I am not antigun, but I do not own one. I read this message board because I like to learn more. I get really disgusted sometimes though because if you don't own a gun you are no good. OR, you are anit-gun, but whatever.
Link Posted: 8/31/2002 6:12:28 PM EDT
Although the lack of a shotgun at the rural farm did annoy me, what bothered me more was the chicken shit alien invasion. Those aliens seemed like some tough, advanced, badass mofos and I think, as far as sci-fi goes, they would have kicked our asses...I mean for heavens sake, they could jump 10 feet onto a roof, but they couldn't break down an old rotten basement door??? And for me, the excuse of us using nukes if they used their technology against us was just a cop-out on the part of the writer...
Link Posted: 8/31/2002 6:14:36 PM EDT
Really ? You do not own a firearm ?
Link Posted: 8/31/2002 6:27:32 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Vally1978: That movie was bad to begin with. Everyone has their own opinions on guns. Why can't people accept that. I am not antigun, but I do not own one. I read this message board because I like to learn more. I get really disgusted sometimes though because if you don't own a gun you are no good. OR, you are anit-gun, but whatever.
View Quote
I'll try and spell it out for you. The movie was about the biggest thing ever to happen to the Human race. Big bad aliens about to kick some major ass. Our hero boards up his house to protect his children. He lives in one of the most pro gun counties in the yankee part of the US. He is a rural farmer. He doesn't even have a shotgun. The bad guy alien gets his ass kicked with a baseball bat for goodness sake. It would have made much more sense if would have gone to the closet and got out his shotgun, SKS, 1911 and trusty hunting rifle.
Link Posted: 8/31/2002 6:32:38 PM EDT
I just saw Signs. Shaymalan didn't put any guns in the movie (except the .357 on the lady cops duty belt). WHY DID SIGNS HAVE TO HAVE GUNS? Can some one please tell me why every movie has to have a gun? Jeez. CRC
Link Posted: 8/31/2002 6:39:42 PM EDT
CRC...guns must be in every movie because...errrr...well...ummmm...because they're cooool...
Link Posted: 8/31/2002 6:43:36 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/31/2002 6:54:00 PM EDT
I haven't seen it and probably won't. But, my .02 is: 1) Not bringing the issue up at all, at least if it is not a glaring omssion, is perfectly fine. 2) Not including the guns in a scene where there may be a violent confrontation ought to get the more capable intellects in the audience to think about what they might do in a similiar situation, like have a gun instead of wish for one when it's too late. So, they may be doing more to help by not helping, if you get my drift.
Link Posted: 8/31/2002 7:11:22 PM EDT
Did anyone else detect an anti gun bias or is it just me being paranoid?
View Quote
*** SPOILER ALERT**** Probably the latter - the story just couldn't have been told if they had firepower to dispatch the baddies. I loved the film, but I did find myself saying that it would be a very short movie if it happened at my house. As did probably everyone else here who saw it. Shyamalan is a fantastic director, for my $. One of the best out there today. The bottom line is that films cannot always adhere to rational behavior. Sure, anyone would have sought out a firearm. But making [i]Signs[/i] into a firefight, rather than putting the characters in a more [i]quiet[/i] situation where they had to directly reflect on their waning faith would have been a mistake. And I thought is was pretty damn cool that a baseball bat was used to take on the alien, myself. The whole [i]redemption[/i] angle for the minor league home-run/strikeout king was a nice touch.
Link Posted: 8/31/2002 7:12:16 PM EDT
I don't think the movie would be as long as it is if our heroes were packing shotguns. (Auuugh! Look! Aliens! *BLAM* *BLAM* *BLAM* .............where's the rest of them?)
Link Posted: 8/31/2002 7:49:31 PM EDT
For you people that saw the movie... Don't you guys remember. The aliens we saw in the movie were just scouts. They were just there to get a feel for Earth and gather intelligence. The badass aliens are still on their way. When the real invaders get there, no freakin' water is gonna bother them. USPC40 [img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/USPC40/line.gif[/img] [url=www.nra.org][b][red]NRA[/red][/url] [url=www.nra.org][blue]Life Member[/blue][/url] [url=www.gunowners.org][b][red]GOA[/red] [/url] [url=www.gunowners.org][blue]Life Member[/blue][/url] [url=www.saf.org][red]SAF[/red][/url] [url=www.saf.org][blue]Supporter[/blue][/url] [url=sas-aim.org][red]SAS[/red][/url] [url=sas-aim.org][blue]Supporter[/blue][/b][/url] [img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/USPC40/alabamaflag.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 8/31/2002 9:50:29 PM EDT
**another spoiler alert** the baseball bat (and minor league baseball career) was an integral part of the movie. if the wife had previously uttered "swing away" as she was dying, and they had used their shotguns, that apparently every farmer in PA has, to expire the aliens, then the ending wouldnt have come together as it was supposed to.
Link Posted: 8/31/2002 9:59:28 PM EDT
Guns? They didn't need no guns to beat those alien badasses! Water was anathema to them. WATER! A farm doesn't have to have a gun, but it MUST have a garden hose somewhere. Just hose the bastards down! Yeesh!!
Link Posted: 8/31/2002 10:09:22 PM EDT
Guns would have ruined the movie, since we alread knew that the aliens would be unarmed. Wouldn't they have just moved on if they took major injuries while attacking the family? No guns made it a battle of the wits and took the Rambo aspect away from the movie. The wife's last words also played into the baseball bat. SIGNS, get it? I think a sequal COULD go down the alien ass kicking path, but I can tell you that I was much happier seeing hand to hand combat and a good alien beat down! Tell me you'd have rather seen the alien get gunned down and lose the LAST SIGN - water? Guns would have killed the movie. More suspense when you know that the family doesn't have much of a defense! I LOVED THE MOVIE AND SAW IT TWICE! I actually paid the second time too!
Link Posted: 8/31/2002 11:02:50 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/1/2002 12:05:41 AM EDT
I got the whole thing about the 'signs,' and it was quite a worthless movie with them. I think a 30 minute short would have done the story better justice... but really... like others, I just couldn't 'suspend disbelief.' I felt like the movie traded every plot twist with another plot hole. In an interview it seemed as thought the writer/director knew he had a dud, explaining that he just couldn't bear to deviate from his original idea.
Top Top