Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 7/23/2005 1:05:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/23/2005 1:07:17 PM EDT by drop_zone]
By Guy Sajer. Just finished it. What a incomprehensable book about the ordinary grunt on the Eastern front in WWII. A must read!!!!
It will leave you just stareing into space thinking about the ordeal he went through and trying to comprehend how a person could survive it.
If you read it what did you think.
Link Posted: 7/23/2005 6:50:55 PM EDT

Originally Posted By drop_zone:
By Guy Sajer. Just finished it. What a incomprehensable book about the ordinary grunt on the Eastern front in WWII. A must read!!!!
It will leave you just stareing into space thinking about the ordeal he went through and trying to comprehend how a person could survive it.
If you read it what did you think.

I read it some time ago. It is not the easiest book to read as it was originally written in French ( I think) and then translated. He makes many references to the "Spandau" which I think was a WWI term for machine gun and probably referred to the MG42. There is some speculation that the book is actually a compilation of the experiences of several different guys and not one man.
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 10:52:12 AM EDT
Good book, very eye opening. But as cool-e says, there is some debate whether Guy Sajer is real, whether the book is fact or fiction, and if fact is it a compiliation of several vets stories.

Regardless, I think it is agreed it is a pretty good narrative of what war on the Eastern Front was like for the average grunt...

Link Posted: 7/29/2005 9:44:47 PM EDT

Originally Posted By pzjgr:
Good book, very eye opening. But as cool-e says, there is some debate whether Guy Sajer is real, whether the book is fact or fiction, and if fact is it a compiliation of several vets stories.

Regardless, I think it is agreed it is a pretty good narrative of what war on the Eastern Front was like for the average grunt...

I agree its a great book. I think the author is genuine.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 6:57:26 PM EDT
I have it and have read it several times.Excellant book even if it might be fictional.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 6:07:24 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 2:04:09 AM EDT
I read part of it.
I checked it out of a Library several years ago. I returned it unfinished.
I just couldn’t get into it to really read it.

Link Posted: 8/17/2005 1:14:18 PM EDT
Great read. There's a couple of guy's that have debated the authenticity of the book, but neither could prove either way. You can do a search on google and come up with the article. Guy Sajer has been interviewed and doesn't seem to really care if people believe him or not.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 5:41:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/2/2005 5:42:39 PM EDT by panzersergeant]
"Forgotten Soldier" is a terrific story, fiction or not. "Scars of Honor: A novel of the Russian Front" is also a good story about combat on the Eastern Front.

www.ww2incolor.com/shop.php?mode=Books&item=1585006440
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 10:25:18 PM EDT
I just finnished it on my last deployment. Great read. Apparently it's quite a famous novel. I stumbled across it in a Borders in Singapore & had to get it.
Top Top