Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 1/8/2005 8:30:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/8/2005 8:39:29 PM EDT by Combatvet]
I mailed an item to someone via the Post Office and some ass opened the box and put a bunch of crap into the package and sealed it back up. Has anyone had any similiar situation occur? I did insure it, but is that a dead giveaway of what's in the package.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 8:31:49 PM EDT
someone once stole my cigarette from the ashtray when i went to check my PO Box.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 8:36:28 PM EDT
About two years ago I had two birthday cards stolen. They were mailed to me, but never arrived.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 11:41:23 AM EDT
A little over two years ago I had a package of gun parts from Brownell's and some stuff from the NFL shop stolen at the same time from the mail. Tracking showed them checked into the local Post Office but not going out. I contacted the dealers and had no problem getting reimbursed - Brownell's verified my claim and immediately sent my purchases from them out again - excellent service. I contacted the USPS on the internet and also called the manager of the Post Office for my area. The USPS internet site said the complaint would be followed up but I heard nothing else from them. The manager assured me that he would look into it and get back to me (I left messages for him three times afterward with no response from him.) Apparently the volume of mail/thefts is so great they can't/won't follow up with you. I think you must insure your packages even if that tips someone off to their value. The only satisfaction I got from the Postal Service was about a year later when the Inspectors arrested an employee at that Post Office for stealing packages. (This is no reflection on my letter carrier(s) who always have provided great service.) Now I prefer packages be sent through UPS - I have had no problems with them.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 11:43:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/10/2005 11:49:25 AM EDT by Lon_Moer]
I hurt a postal workers feelings once.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 11:49:31 AM EDT
I had two scope covers stolen in the mail sent by the company I ordered them from. On the third try it was sent signature confirmed, insured, with tracking and it finally got through. Screw the post office.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 11:54:23 AM EDT
nothing stolen per se....

missing or non delivered yes....

Link Posted: 1/10/2005 2:31:44 PM EDT
I have had things misdelivered and someone got happy. running shoes, gifts to children they never got.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 2:34:57 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 2:37:19 PM EDT
I stamped return to sender on an aol cd and gave it back to the mail man :)
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 7:16:56 PM EDT
Two Texaco credit cards. I got a call from Texaco asking if I had received my new cards and had no idea what they were talking about till I received my bill the next month. Someone had stolen them from the bulk mail center in Dallas and started using them at the station right across the street. They charged stuff about every 300 miles from Dallas to Atlanta and then never used the cards again.

Texaco took care of the charges and issued new cards and the POS that stole them was prosecuted.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 7:20:22 PM EDT
Had stuff go "missing" that was it.

With UPS I had my stuff opened and plundered.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 8:07:17 PM EDT
Yes, Looks like someone at the post office stole my upper I just bought. Scanned in at the office then delivered 50 minutes later but never got it. Trying to see what happend.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 8:51:12 PM EDT
I sent a box with presents to my parents and sister on the east coast for Christmas this year..Box had been opened and some of the presents had been gone through..Pissed me off since one of the presents had been a wrapped/framed picture of my kids to their Grandparents and a bunch of Spongebob stuff for my nephew.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 3:39:07 AM EDT
Theft can occur unfortunatley. I work for the postal service in the maintenance dept. Not all the packages that go through the p.o that are rewrapped have neccessarily been riffled through. The machinery can be brutal to packages....especially ones not wrapped very well. When I'm assigned to a machine and see a package going through that is opening up due to the machinery, I will stop the machine and rewrap the item. Sometimes the contents are scattered and you really have no idea if that's the case. I have seen huge boxes very poorly wrapped just fall apart during the sortation that are full of family pictures and such. It really sucks during Christmas time to see gifts in shredded wrappers. The post office makes an effort to "rewrap" items found broken up in the mailstream. Items that are too bulky or heavy fall under the non machineable catagory and are sorted by hand or special machinery, but your typical package is almost entirely sorted my machinery. Think of thousands of parcels crashing amongst one another on converyor belts and you can see the "this side up" and "fragile" labels not really doing much. Joe Blows 30lb box of wrenches goes down a 5' chute and lands on someones shoe box wrapped crystal and you can see what happens all the time here. My best advice is to wrap parcels good (lots of tape....maybe the fiber tape too) and put it in a strong box with plenty of room for padding. Always assume your package will be dropping into a bin before that damn package of wrenches!!!!
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 4:18:04 AM EDT
All cards in the county are being stolen.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 4:21:51 AM EDT
Retired USPS letter carrier here. During the Christmas season there are many employees brought on as casuals and many will not be around long after the season. Also, the union must defend all employees, thieves or not and management is truely incompetent when it comes to oversight in their stations. Sorry for the losses. I prefer FedEx if it is really important.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 4:26:39 AM EDT
I ordered a DVD online, It showed up a day later then expected and in a plastic bag saying sorry we damaged your package.

Thru the baggie i could see it was very wet.

Opened the baggie, smelled like beer. It was like the DVD case was soaked in a keg.

Never got an explaination from the postmaster on that.

Link Posted: 1/11/2005 4:36:15 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Sheldon:
Theft can occur unfortunatley. I work for the postal service in the maintenance dept. Not all the packages that go through the p.o that are rewrapped have neccessarily been riffled through. The machinery can be brutal to packages....especially ones not wrapped very well. When I'm assigned to a machine and see a package going through that is opening up due to the machinery, I will stop the machine and rewrap the item. Sometimes the contents are scattered and you really have no idea if that's the case. I have seen huge boxes very poorly wrapped just fall apart during the sortation that are full of family pictures and such. It really sucks during Christmas time to see gifts in shredded wrappers. The post office makes an effort to "rewrap" items found broken up in the mailstream. Items that are too bulky or heavy fall under the non machineable catagory and are sorted by hand or special machinery, but your typical package is almost entirely sorted my machinery. Think of thousands of parcels crashing amongst one another on converyor belts and you can see the "this side up" and "fragile" labels not really doing much. Joe Blows 30lb box of wrenches goes down a 5' chute and lands on someones shoe box wrapped crystal and you can see what happens all the time here. My best advice is to wrap parcels good (lots of tape....maybe the fiber tape too) and put it in a strong box with plenty of room for padding. Always assume your package will be dropping into a bin before that damn package of wrenches!!!!

Sheldon's absolutely right. I used to work at a UPS dropoff center in college (the dropoff was part of a hobby shop) and people would bring in the most delicate items wrapped in little more than brown paper, expecting Aunt Bessie's china to arrive intact to Dubuque with all the other packages sent out. "Oh, can't you just mark "Fragile" on it?" Yeah, sure- like, everybody out there in the system is going to see that... Some people just don't understand that items that break easily at home, willl likely break in transit, too. It's a miracle when they don't.

In truth, I've never had a problem that I can recall with the USPS about missing, stolen or broken packages. Delivery is on-time, even with packages arriving from overseas. Just make sure you take care of things on your end. Box and address things up correctly, and shovel a path out to your mailbox so the mail can get through. BTW our mail-lady is great. We even leave her out a bottle of wine at Xmas!

UPS are OK, but I have had a couple of shipments of leather in long cardboard boxes arrive wet and ripped up, and the contents were damaged. UPS and the vendor took care of it though (ate the costs) Otherwise, UPS is OK.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 4:56:51 AM EDT
YES! Thats all I can say.

If the bastard is on here I want my shirt back!
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 4:58:20 AM EDT
40.00 Buck Knife
was insured though

I never send anything --------without insurance -- damn thieves.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 5:00:34 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Taxman:
Had stuff go "missing" that was it.

With UPS I had my stuff opened and plundered.

Yeah, it is like they tear a hole in the package to see whats inside --- if they can, like they are shopping.

They need surveillance cameras at these places and it would stop.
Top Top