Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/22/2003 10:01:06 PM EDT
Therefore, in response to a verified request by law enforcement or other government officials relating to a criminal investigation or alleged illegal activity, we can (and you authorize us to) disclose your name, city, state, telephone number, email address, UserID history, fraud complaints, and bidding and listing history without a subpoena
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 6:32:34 AM EDT
[#1]

ebay sucks anymore....
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 6:55:10 AM EDT
[#2]
I can't find the link to the article that was pubished a while back but one thing I do remember is that ebay has EVERY BIT OF DATA STORED SINCE DAY ONE and they've told law enforcement that they will be HAPPY to give them whatever information they request, just give them a call.

Edited to add:

Found it:

www.theregister.co.uk/content/6/32936.html

eBay to Feds: come and get what you want

By Andrew Orlowski
Posted: 19/09/2003 at 19:24 GMT

Israeli daily Haaretz has unearthed highly embarrassing, and disturbing comments by an eBay executive. To an audience of law enforcement officials, eBay's Joseph Sullivan boasts that his company's privacy policy is meaningless.

"We don't make you show a subpoena, except in exceptional cases," Sullivan told a closed-door session at the CyberCrime 2003 conference last week.

"When someone uses our site and clicks on the `I Agree' button, it is as if he agrees to let us submit all of his data to the legal authorities. Which means that if you are a law-enforcement officer, all you have to do is send us a fax with a request for information, and ask about the person behind the seller's identity number, and we will provide you with his name, address, sales history and other details - all without having to produce a court order. We want law enforcement people to spend time on our site."

Law enforcement snoopers will have plenty of material to work with: Sullivan also boasts that eBay has logged every item of user information since 1995. eBay helps with over 200 a month, Haaretz reports.

It's the second privacy scandal this week. Host of privacy site Don't Spy On.US, Bill Scannell discovered that budget airline Jet Blue handed over 5 million passenger records to the Transport Security Administration and a contractor, which augmented them with credit records and passengers' social security information. You can still read the details here (PDF, 2MB - Thanks to ls)

This is the link with all the good stuff to read:

www.haaretz.com/hasen/pages/ShArt.jhtml?itemNo=264863&contrassID=2&subContrassID=5&sbSubContrassID=0&listSrc=Y&itemNo=264863
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 6:57:07 AM EDT
[#3]
CommE-Bay.
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 11:12:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Somewhat tangential issue, but ar10er quotes an e-bay policy allowing disclosure of the information.

Yet the reporter cited by Airwolf stated: “eBay's Joseph Sullivan boasts that his company's privacy policy is meaningless.”

Seems to me the reporter is lying to make his story sound better.  
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 11:15:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Not to mention they keep file on what you sell, buy AND LOOK FOR....

NsB
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 11:46:03 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Not to mention they keep file on what you sell, buy AND LOOK FOR....

NsB

Thats the part that bugs the hell outta me.
CH
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top