Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/29/2009 3:09:36 PM EDT
...and wished they'd gone a different direction?

I'm picking up my new truck on Saturday (2009 Sierra 1500 4x4 Crew Cab,) and need to buy some sort of locking cover for the bed. I've had a topper on my current truck for the last ten years. I haul expensive electronic equipment around (and have to lock it up in foreign places) on a fairly regular basis, and I live in the land of rain.

1. The hard shell lifting tonneaus don't appeal to me. They look good, but seem pretty impractical.

2. Soft tonneaus are out of the question.

3. It's pretty much down to an all-metal rollup like the "Jack Rabbit Metal," or a good Leer topper.

I like the looks of the truck with the rollup better than the "SUV look" with the topper. I do have some concerns about the weather-resistance of the rollup. A good topper is pretty water-tight.

The only other variable is that the truck is a crew cab, so I will have cabin room for some big items.

I'm leaning towards the rollup, but my question is:

Do those of you who got a rollup (or folding) tonneau regret it? Do you have problems with water leakage? Do you miss the extra room that a topper gives you?

Thanks hive.

Link Posted: 4/29/2009 4:55:51 PM EDT
[#1]
No offense, but why do you not like the soft ones? My dad has had the snap ones on his last 2 Chevys.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 5:27:23 PM EDT
[#2]
i hate the jack rabbits design. if you get it a hair out of alignment it will bind up and fall apart.

i have a truxedo on my truck and i love it. i installed tons of them and they are a great cover.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 5:46:59 PM EDT
[#3]
I've got an Bakflip G2 on my 08' Silveardo. It is a folding cover (folds in four sections all the way up against the rear window for full bed access). I like it a lot. I ordered the regular which is made out of abs plastic. It weighs around 90 lbs.

They also make an all metal one, it is a couple hundred dollars more expensive.

I ordered from realtruck.com. They had a special several months ago for like 20% off and free shipping, so it came out to be a great deal.

Bakflip G2

Bakflip G2 All Metal

I have had no leakage issues at all, when going through the touch-less car washes.

The cover can only be opened once the tailgate is opened. If your truck does not have the tail gate lock kit you can buy it from GM for like $40 or so.

Close the cover, lock the tailgate, and it is secure. Of course if somebody comes along with a crowbar they are going to get in, no matter what covering you have.

I can snap some pictures of it on my truck if you want.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 3:02:07 AM EDT
[#4]

Thanks guys.  I looked real hard at the bakflip, but ended up going with the Retrax rollup model.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top