Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 9/27/2001 10:31:07 AM EDT
Briefly what was in Satanic verses?
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 10:34:12 AM EDT
Motley Crue lyrics? I started one of Rushdie's books but I couldn't get into it. Serious, highbrow literary type fiction never does it for me.
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 10:41:28 AM EDT
It claims that Mohammed was a Schezsophrenic (was illucinating and flat out bonkers). Naturally this endeared Salman Rushdie to the Muslim World enough to have a Million Dollar Bounty placed on him by the Iranian Government. The Bounty is still in effect... Islamic Law Requires the execution of anyone who commits an act of Blasphemy against Islam.
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 10:45:47 AM EDT
It's about some Islamic guy who has a loss of faith. Has something about the history of Islam as well. Never read all of it. Vulcan94
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 11:00:06 AM EDT
It's a difficult read as the plot is really confusing. But..with that said, the book starts off with a plane being hijacked and blown to bits on it's way to London by Islamic Terrorists. Barracuda
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 11:15:47 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 12:00:19 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Sweep: I read it, didn't quite get it though. Funny thing was I read it in Saudi Arabia! I had ordered the book just before I went to Saudi in '91 and it found me there!
View Quote
Shoulda left it there :P
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 5:58:03 PM EDT
Originally Posted By crowTrobot: Briefly what was in Satanic verses?
View Quote
Fantastic things. Two survivors of a terrorist hijacking are transformed into an angel and a devil. A mountain climber is haunted by her teacher's ghost. A young prophet leads her flock into the sea. Muhammad's secretary introduces errors into his transscription to see if his edicts are divine, or just made up on the spot (hence the Satanic Verses). I'm reading Rushdie's _The Ground Beneath Her Feet_ right now. Again, fantastic. Just so I don't lose my street cred, I read _Rogue Warrior_ before that.
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 6:19:57 PM EDT
After reading this particular book, I understand why they wanted to kill him. Any sane person would want to too. What an absolute waste of a tree.
Top Top