Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/11/2010 11:31:41 AM EDT
Has there ever in the history of film been a movie where a for profit Corporation is the "Good Guy" or protrayed in a good light?

Corporations provide billions in charitable donations every year.

Corporations employ A LOT of people and bring millions of out poverty each year around the world.

Yet ever single movie Hollywood makes that involves a corporation paints that corporation as pure evil.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 11:33:05 AM EDT
Originally Posted By SilentType:
Has there ever in the history of film been a movie where a for profit Corporation is the "Good Guy" or protrayed in a good light?

Corporations employ A LOT of people and bring millions of out poverty each year around the world.

Yet ever single movie Hollywood makes that involves a corporation paints that corporation as pure evil.

Uhh...is Atlas Shrugged out in movie form yet?

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 11:34:29 AM EDT
Originally Posted By IAMLEGEND:

No, and I hope they don't fuck it up.

The corporation isn't going to be the good guy in most of the leftest propaganda that hollywood comes out with. They are always the bad guy thats just keepin a brother down.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 11:35:18 AM EDT
Originally Posted By althor:

No, and I hope they don't fuck it up.

The corporation isn't going to be the good guy in most of the leftest propaganda that hollywood comes out with. They are always the bad guy thats just keepin a brother down.

Redundant but well taken.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 11:35:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/11/2010 11:36:08 AM EDT by Aptrgangr]
NUMA from Sahara?
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 11:43:20 AM EDT

You might find this article illuminating:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704025304575284722645443124.html

Capitalism: Hollywood's Miscast Villain

Why the film industry is so good at getting business wrong

By ALEX TABARROK

Capitalism hasn't had much good press lately, and when it comes to the movies capitalism never seems to get a fair shake. In the movies, capitalists are almost invariably cast as villains. Has someone been murdered? Are the residents of a small town dying of cancer? Is an environment being despoiled? Look no further than the CEO of some large corporation. Quick, name as many movies as you can that feature capitalists as heroes. "Batman Forever" and "Iron Man" do not count. There are a few ("The Edge," "You've Got Mail"), but it's a short list. Now name as many movies as you can that feature mass-murdering corporations and corporate villains? That one is easy: "The Fugitive," "Syriana," "Mission Impossible II," "Erin Brockovich," "The China Syndrome" and "Avatar," to name only a few.

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 11:43:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/11/2010 11:43:52 AM EDT by Mclovin5-0]
Last I heard they've finished filming Atlas Shrugged, or at least the first part of a planned trilogy. I imagine it'll probably be out sometime early next year. I'm not holding my breath, but what does sound encouraging is that the cast is made up of relative unknowns and the people making it don't sound like they're Hollywood insiders.

As far as the OP goes, what about Wayne Enterprises in Batman?
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 11:44:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/11/2010 11:45:32 AM EDT by IAMLEGEND]
Originally Posted By Mclovin5-0:
Last I heard they've finished filming Atlas Shrugged, or at least the first part of a planned trilogy. I imagine it'll probably be out sometime early next year. I'm not holding my breath, but what does sound encouraging is that the cast is made up of relative unknowns and the people making it don't sound like they're Hollywood insiders.

WILL SMITH! WILL SMITH!!! Will Smith should play Dagny!!!!!

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 11:53:10 AM EDT
Edna Mode in The Incredibles.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 11:55:42 AM EDT
Great question SilentType. I can't think of one except Wayne Enterprises as mentioned above.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 11:56:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/11/2010 11:57:50 AM EDT by piccolo]

If I have told you once, I have told you a hundred times that there is no fun letting the facts get in the way of a good story.

OTOH, Maybe some nice liberal group will come charging in to defend capitalism.

They will make a touching movie about how Ben and Jerry's Ice Cream came to the rescue of some faggots sick gerbil by donating money to hire a surgical/ vetenarian team to pull the poor animal out of the faggots ass.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 12:01:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/11/2010 12:07:16 PM EDT by omega62]
In any film which has ever been or ever will be produced, directed by, and/or had the screenplay written by a liberal, big corporations will be portrayed as evil, and controlled by devious white men who would slit their own grandmother's throats for a small profit.

This is the fucktarded view that liberals have of business.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 12:03:00 PM EDT

Yeah, and he can make fun of a few unhip white guys and have a catchy rap song to serve as the intro song. It will be like Men in Black, Wild Wild West, I Robot, and I am Legend all rolled into one.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 12:03:33 PM EDT
Originally Posted By piccolo:

If I have told you once, I have told you a hundred times that there is no fun letting the facts get in the way of a good story.

OTOH, Maybe some nice liberal group will come charging in to defend capitalism.

They will make a touching movie about how Ben and Jerry's Ice Cream came to the rescue of some faggots sick gerbil by donating money to hire a surgical/ vetenarian team to pull the poor animal out of the faggots ass.

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 12:05:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/11/2010 12:12:02 PM EDT by SkilletsUSMC]
Originally Posted By Greenhorn:

'Dinoco' in cars. An OIL COMPANY no less...

Pixar FTW!

I'll go one step further and point out that capitalism is portrayed as necessary for survival, and that the government ruined a town by bypassing "radiator springs" with the interstate.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 12:09:03 PM EDT
I suppose the company in I, Robot kinda qualifies, since they ended up being victims like everyone else. Of course, they were indeed portrayed as evil right up until the ending, so...
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 12:09:55 PM EDT
Originally Posted By cbsaf:

Yeah, and he can make fun of a few unhip white guys and have a catchy rap song to serve as the intro song. It will be like Men in Black, Wild Wild West, I Robot, and I am Legend all rolled into one.

It could make a mockery of freedom, individuality, and rights. It would be awesome!

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 12:13:01 PM EDT
"Proof of Life" wasn't all that bad.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 12:17:06 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 12:25:28 PM EDT
Not that I can remember.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 12:30:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/11/2010 12:33:29 PM EDT by adi]

Originally Posted By jmarkma:
You mean the part where the insurance stops providing the kidnap consultant and leaves the family to fend for themselves? (Crowe comes back on his own dime without corp approval). Or the company the husband works for not paying the kidnap insurance and leaving the family to fend for themselves?

In theory neither were being 'evil', since the entire movie would have been boring if corp paid the insurance bill, but both eventually said "its not our problem".

ETA: Wayne enterprises gets the nod for not being evil when the family controls it, but when the board is in charge they try and become evil.

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 12:35:39 PM EDT
While what you bring up is largely true...

How many interesting story lines can you come up with where the corporation/capitalist owner is the "good guy"? Keyword interesting.

What could possibly threaten a corporation to put them in a position where you "bond" with them and cheer them on?

Corporation gives out donations to charities. Great job... crappy plotline.
Corporation employs hundreds/thousands of workers. Great job... crappy plotline.

Interesting plotlines often involve something/someone evil/bad trying to do something evil/bad. Who has the ability to REALLY do something evil/bad, if they have no money? A company/govt/rich person is oftentimes a logical choice, as they have the resources to truly be evil.

I guess I just look at it from a different perspective. I don't see it as (for example) "capitalism is evil" or "military is evil". I see it as "greed to the point of (insert REAL crime here) is evil".
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 12:42:28 PM EDT
Ironman
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 12:45:28 PM EDT
Iron Man
Charlie & the Chocolate Factory
Batman
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 12:47:18 PM EDT
Originally Posted By adi:

Originally Posted By jmarkma:
You mean the part where the insurance stops providing the kidnap consultant and leaves the family to fend for themselves? (Crowe comes back on his own dime without corp approval). Or the company the husband works for not paying the kidnap insurance and leaving the family to fend for themselves?

In theory neither were being 'evil', since the entire movie would have been boring if corp paid the insurance bill, but both eventually said "its not our problem".

I thought the consensus on ARFCOM was not to negotiate. This sounds like good tactics.

You hit the nail on the head with that last one, tho... what could possibly be interesting about the big corp fixing everything?

ETA: Wayne enterprises gets the nod for not being evil when the family controls it, but when the board is in charge they try and become evil.

Human nature. Most people are selfish and want to impose their will/ideas on others. Obviously by the corporation being good while the family controlled it... it is a problem with WHO is running things.

Those who believe corporations/govt/religions have a mind of their own and are thus evil, as opposed to being a collection of (flawed) humans, don't have critical thinking skills. I fail to see why anyone cares what these types of people think... other than to poke fun at them. This applies to both sides.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 12:54:14 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Dave_A:
Iron Man - Sold weapons to both sides of war, unless you think its not evil to arm soldiers that kill American soldiers
Charlie & the Chocolate Factory - Slave midget labor and subverting squirrels...i got nothing, its a good one
Batman - above

There are a few movies where the billionaire figurehead gets a sad face when they find out how their company is really ran, and try and change it, but movies don't really go beyond the figurehead saying "no more bad stuff ok guys?".
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 12:57:18 PM EDT
I often tell my wife that even though I work at a HUGE corporation, I have never been assigned to kill someone because they have uncovered our nefarious plot to control the world!
I am getting closer and closer to retirement and doubt if I will ever get the chance to chase some teenager around in a big black SUV.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 12:59:09 PM EDT
Originally Posted By motoguzzi:
I often tell my wife that even though I work at a HUGE corporation, I have never been assigned to kill someone because they have uncovered our nefarious plot to control the world!
I am getting closer and closer to retirement and doubt if I will ever get the chance to chase some teenager around in a big black SUV.

I work for a serious corporation (with evil non-competitive gov't contracts ) and we have not had any nefarious plots emerge either.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 1:04:06 PM EDT

I work for a serious corporation (with evil non-competitive gov't contracts ) and we have not had any nefarious plots emerge either.

I am actually in charge of nefarious plots but I have no time to plan any really good ones because production and safety meetings eat up my time.

Damn the multiple hat wearing induced by cutbacks
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 1:11:33 PM EDT
Not a movie, but Knight Industries from Knight Rider. Or what ever corporation Steve Austin worked for. After he was rebuilt better, stronger, faster.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 1:13:46 PM EDT
Originally Posted By CarbonBuildup:
Not a movie, but Knight Industries from Knight Rider. Or what ever corporation Steve Austin worked for. After he was rebuilt better, stronger, faster.

um OSI .gov agency
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 1:17:45 PM EDT
The shoe company the Kid from Jumanji ran.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 1:18:40 PM EDT
In story-telling, often times the protagonist has to face off against an all-powerful evil antagonist. Corporations are easy to use for that. I don't see the problem here.

It's like Nazis, Nazis are the ultimate movie bad guys. They are a large, all-powerful organization, and the audience already knows they are evil, you don't have to spend a lot of time illustrating to the audience that they are evil, it's already understood.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 1:23:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/11/2010 1:27:31 PM EDT by AR45fan]
I like the episode of "From the Earth to the Moon" called "Spider" where they show how the LEM was developed over decade by engineers at Grumman. I have shown it in my Gifted Ed. class a couple of times to show how creativity, collaboration, and patience can accomplish amazing things. I think it shows industry in a very positive light. I think it's important to think about how much of our modern, comfortable lives would simply be impossible without corporations - massive collections of talent and capital. Also, "The Spirit of St. Louis" starring Jimmy Stewart - shows Ryan building the NYP in record time. I can think of more but not with enough specifics to be useful...

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 1:23:42 PM EDT
Originally Posted By dedfella:

I am actually in charge of nefarious plots but I have no time to plan any really good ones because production and safety meetings eat up my time.

Damn the multiple hat wearing induced by cutbacks

Oracle and timesheet bullshit will really fuck you up too, I imagine.

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 1:27:23 PM EDT
Miracle on 34th Street –– Macy's.

Been a while, hasn't it?
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 1:29:28 PM EDT
No, but good idea.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 1:39:04 PM EDT
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory?
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 1:42:23 PM EDT

Stark Industries in Iron Man.

Bilster
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 1:42:48 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Kaygee:

no the other corporation was always trying to steal their secretes. Jeez silly.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 1:44:42 PM EDT

Originally Posted By SkilletsUSMC:
Originally Posted By Greenhorn:

'Dinoco' in cars. An OIL COMPANY no less...

Pixar FTW!

I'll go one step further and point out that capitalism is portrayed as necessary for survival, and that the government ruined a town by bypassing "radiator springs" with the interstate.

I don't know what you can read into it but the main guy with Pixar is a huge car nut. He's always on Meguiar's show talking about his car collection.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 2:19:28 PM EDT
Sure there has, I should say it was actually a mini-series but still they were the good guys and it actually happened to boot.

If you have not seen On Wings of Eagles I highly encourage you to. People can say what they want to about Ross Perot and I do not give a shit, but the man obviously has a lot of the right stuff IMO, he could have left his employees in that Iranian hell hole let the Government get them out but he did not . He honored his obligations and did the right thing on a business and personal level. If that does not fit the bill as a good answer to your question I do not know what does. Again this is one of the best 300 minutes you will ever spend.

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 2:23:20 PM EDT

Originally Posted By TEAMSHRALP:
Originally Posted By Kaygee:

no the other corporation was always trying to steal their secretes. Jeez silly.

Fail at children's movie! There was no other corporation...that was a test. Infact...that was the whole point of the movie, and you missed it.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 2:31:39 PM EDT
I think the corporation was the good guy in Heart of Darkness
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 2:31:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/11/2010 2:36:25 PM EDT by orangelo]
Hughes Aircraft Company in The Aviator wasn't portrayed too badly

They even showed the Senate war profiteering hearings against Howard Hughes being dropped. I was surprised the hollyweird wackos didn't rewrite history and make Hughes guilty simply because leftist dipshits believe every corporation that provides war materiel is profiteering.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 2:42:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/11/2010 2:50:38 PM EDT by CarbineDad]
I would say "Bailey Building and Loan" in Wonderful Life,
but that is offset by Potter's Bank, isn't it.

And wrt to Pixar? The insurance company in Incredibles is evil.

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 2:46:14 PM EDT
Cash McCall come to mind.

And there was this one move, that I cannot for the life of me recall the title. I saw it once on the Late Night Hours; after midnight when Carson wasn't on. It was about a factory that went from, at the start of the movie, very successful, to suddenly struggling for existence. It was made in the mid to late 50's to early 60's. I think. There was labor troubles from factory workers that didn't trust management. And for very good reasons. How the company got back on it feet made for a very interesting movie.

"You will now make your bid for the contract to make buttons for the Navy."
And they didn't get that contract. They did something else. I wish I could remember its name.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 3:02:13 PM EDT
A Wonderful Life.

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:42:03 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 8:25:34 PM EDT
ever single movie Hollywood makes that involves a corporation paints that corporation as pure evil.

A notable exception: The hundreds of movie plots that have a big Hollywood film studio making someone a star...

So, according to Hollywood, all corporations - except the corporations in Hollywood that make movies - are evil.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 8:27:34 PM EDT
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top